Draft 2023 AFLW Draft Analysis - Slice of Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

This article is a typical example of the massive connection to the academies. Take it with a grain of salt.
There's one Academy player named in there and the context that wasn't added by petits (who obviously wouldn't have known) is that the initial article was written in October last year, and the second shared was based of a weekly wrap of sorts of who performed.

A new article that dropped today on some of the rucks who might be a good option to look at. Claremont confident Matilda Dyke gets a look-in, while Georgie Jaques' start at Norwood has been impressive.

I don't anticipate a whole heap of rucks will get picked up, but maybe up to four. Those who play other positions (like Analea McKee) are better shots.

Is Jasmin Stewart the number 1 pick in this years draft? She has been linked highly to Port Adelaide, but I don't see why Geelong would let her slide. But I am curious, for other opinions, if not Stewart, does Geelong have somebody else in mind? Keep in mind Grace Purcell was not on the list.

Last edited:
Is Jasmin Stewart the number 1 pick in this years draft? She has been linked highly to Port Adelaide, but I don't see why Geelong would let her slide. But I am curious, for other opinions, if not Stewart, does Geelong have somebody else in mind? Keep in mind Grace Purcell was not on the list.
She would have to be up there, depending on a clubs needs of course. If a club needs more talls, Jasmine is hardly going to be their first pick, but any club looking to pick up mids or utilities would be dumb to go past her.

I think the number one pick will be a complete surprise that no one will be able to guess. Stewart is my tip to go Pick #2.

I think the number one pick will be a complete surprise that no one will be able to guess. Stewart is my tip to go Pick #2.
Agreed, i don't think she's #1 purely based on Cats needing fwd.

Well, you called it. I don't see how anybody would see this coming. Then again, she is 194cm tall!

Do we have any late mail or idea what Gold Coasts first pick will be?

Do we have any late mail or idea what Gold Coasts first pick will be?
They’ll likely pick a local probably, but hard to say as so many possibilities are tonight. Most will be either upgrades from state league clubs or ex-AFLW.

Lots of NSW/ACT players are set to be picked up. Expect the Doggies to pass twice too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jess Bates former SANFLW B&F, Isabelle Starmer, Zoe Venning, just a few good SANFLW players overlooked for NSW talent. I don't get it, somebody please help?

Jess Bates former SANFLW B&F, Isabelle Starmer, Zoe Venning, just a few good SANFLW players overlooked for NSW talent. I don't get it, somebody please help?
Starmer and Bates were rumoured to be certainties tonight. Unless GC is planning on using its pick on one of them I’m very surprised they didn’t get picked up.

Just had a look at the draft, who are the NSW/ACT players who were drafted?

Because I don't recognise any NSW teams in brackets.

Starmer and Bates were rumoured to be certainties tonight. Unless GC is planning on using its pick on one of them I’m very surprised they didn’t get picked up.
Gold Coast already seem to have a lot of good midfielders with very good height as well. Starmer as a backup to Lauren Bella could be an option maybe, but I doubt it. That being said Pie 4 Life you are a Pie man, who the hell did we just draft? Because these names haven't been shinning in VFLW level, that I know.

Just had a look at the draft, who are the NSW/ACT players who were drafted?

Because I don't recognise any NSW teams in brackets.
I believe there were at least a couple of NSW players who are now based elsewhere in this draft. Carruthers was one of them and I think there was at least one other one. EDIT: Eleri Morris - hence Arbiter's comment.

Last edited:
Because these names haven't been shinning in VFLW level, that I know.
A few of the players that were picked by the team they're playing for in the VFLW haven't played yet, which makes me wonder if they were being held out to keep them away from prying eyes.

Karlson was a Southern Saints player back before St Kilda got a team. She got drafted by the Bulldogs as a mature aged player, played a few games for them and then signed with St Kilda as part of the inaugural list. I don't believe she ever played a game for the Saints as she ran into serious injuries and retired prematurely. Tall, athletic key defender. Seemed pretty comfortable at the level when I saw her play for the Dogs. I hope she gets a better run at it than she did at the Saints.

I believe there were at least a couple of NSW players who are now based elsewhere in this draft. Carruthers was one of them and I think there was at least one other one. EDIT: Eleri Morris - hence Arbiter's comment.
Plus Hendrie, who went to the Blues as well. I remember seeing her as a train on for the Swans last year.

A few of the players that were picked by the team they're playing for in the VFLW haven't played yet, which makes me wonder if they were being held out to keep them away from prying eyes.

Karlson was a Southern Saints player back before St Kilda got a team. She got drafted by the Bulldogs as a mature aged player, played a few games for them and then signed with St Kilda as part of the inaugural list. I don't believe she ever played a game for the Saints as she ran into serious injuries and retired prematurely. Tall, athletic key defender. Seemed pretty comfortable at the level when I saw her play for the Dogs. I hope she gets a better run at it than she did at the Saints.
I'm all up for big defenders with Livingstone and Brazill on the way out. But Selena Karlson has been MIA for some time now. Had a nomination for rising star in VFLW for 2017, got drafted to St Kilda and as you said has had massive injury problems. And then we have a girl that I've never heard of from Sydney.

Yeah Karlson’s been covered. Eleri Morris is a forward out of the Inner West Magpies. One of the better players in AFL Sydney. Will create some excitement inside 50, knows where the goals are, readymade type.
At least she made Team of the Year for AFL Sydney. But we'll have to see. Sydney Swans has no faith in their own league and are happy to draft from the bottom of the barrel Victorian talent. On top of that I have little faith in Jess Burger. So many fringe players and so little big fish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back