Draft 2023 AFLW Draft Analysis - Slice of Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Swans has no faith in their own league and are happy to draft from the bottom of the barrel Victorian talent
Although it does seem counterintuitive to pick from NSW, girls being passed up by us probably isn't a good measure of whether they are any good. After all, we grabbed Ella Heads last year and she played for Inner East but somehow missed Sheerin in that same team who went on to be an All Australian...

Who knows how many of the 26 players picked up tonight will still be on a list 2 seasons from now anyway. This was basically a men's midseason draft. Might as well take a punt on someone rather than a player like Bernardi who has been through 4 clubs and wouldn't have many years left.

At least she made Team of the Year for AFL Sydney. But we'll have to see. Sydney Swans has no faith in their own league and are happy to draft from the bottom of the barrel Victorian talent. On top of that I have little faith in Jess Burger. So many fringe players and so little big fish.
Awards are nice, but they mean very little when building a team. They help add extra excitement to the fans, but ultimately players are drafted on traits.

For example a player who might average 15 disposals in a league, but hit 12 targets, is far more valuable than one who has 25, but only hits 10. Clubs are looking for players with specific traits and rightly or wrongly, players they believe they can develop.

Two months ago I didn't know Tahleah Mulder or Joanne Cregg from a bar of soap. But as soon as they started playing, straight away it was evident they had AFLW traits. They'd come from Amateur football (and in Cregg's case Gaelic prior to that), but it would be easy to go "oh they're a local league recruit, won't do much", you judge them on what they can and can't do, and whether the former outweighs the latter.

I'd much rather a player who has explosiveness with 12 disposals per game say five inside 50s who can hit four targets on the lead than 20 kicks from the back pocket to half-back. Effectively there's a lot more to look at than awards or on the stats sheet.

Who knows how many of the 26 players picked up tonight will still be on a list 2 seasons from now anyway.
Most of them will do well to survive on a list into 2024. The younger players may get a couple of years to develop, but the more mature ones are instantly prime candidates for delisting at the end of the year.

Awards are nice, but they mean very little when building a team. They help add extra excitement to the fans, but ultimately players are drafted on traits.

For example a player who might average 15 disposals in a league, but hit 12 targets, is far more valuable than one who has 25, but only hits 10. Clubs are looking for players with specific traits and rightly or wrongly, players they believe they can develop.

Two months ago I didn't know Tahleah Mulder or Joanne Cregg from a bar of soap. But as soon as they started playing, straight away it was evident they had AFLW traits. They'd come from Amateur football (and in Cregg's case Gaelic prior to that), but it would be easy to go "oh they're a local league recruit, won't do much", you judge them on what they can and can't do, and whether the former outweighs the latter.

I'd much rather a player who has explosiveness with 12 disposals per game say five inside 50s who can hit four targets on the lead than 20 kicks from the back pocket to half-back. Effectively there's a lot more to look at than awards or on the stats sheet.

You're not wrong, Fremantle drafted so many players I had never heard of before and now they are on a list. Which leads me to the fact that AFLW is just another development league.

I find it hard to look at this league competitive anymore with 18 teams in the system. Some people think it's great to have every team in the competition, but there is not enough talent to fill 18 teams. The AFLW is playing the long game and right now it looks ugly. Expansion has killed the comp. Can you imagine what AFLW would look like if it were just the original eight teams heading into season 8?

Most of them will do well to survive on a list into 2024. The younger players may get a couple of years to develop, but the more mature ones are instantly prime candidates for delisting at the end of the year.
Only reason some may survive more than one season is with list sizes potentially growing at some stage

Fremantle drafted so many players I had never heard of before and now they are on a list. Which leads me to the fact that AFLW is just another development league.
That's some logic. Let's retroactively extrapolate it:

Fremantle would've delisted Gemma Houghton at the end of 2018 instead of Jodie White. And they would've signed Danika Pisconeri for 2020 instead of Janelle Cuthbertson.

Because all that matters is if you've won a state league B&F, and if some guy in his mom's basement has heard of you.

That's some logic. Let's retroactively extrapolate it:

Fremantle would've delisted Gemma Houghton at the end of 2018 instead of Jodie White. And they would've signed Danika Pisconeri for 2020 instead of Janelle Cuthbertson.

Because all that matters is if you've won a state league B&F, and if some guy in his mom's basement has heard of you.
As opposed to some gal in her daddy’s basement???

You're not wrong, Fremantle drafted so many players I had never heard of before and now they are on a list. Which leads me to the fact that AFLW is just another development league.

I find it hard to look at this league competitive anymore with 18 teams in the system. Some people think it's great to have every team in the competition, but there is not enough talent to fill 18 teams. The AFLW is playing the long game and right now it looks ugly. Expansion has killed the comp. Can you imagine what AFLW would look like if it were just the original eight teams heading into season 8?
That just tells me you don't watch WAFLW. All four selections have played each game this year. Mulder, Cregg and Flynn are all terrific selections who add a mix of pace and in the case of Flynn, skill. She was also a train-on with the Dockers last season and one of the highest touted players who was yet to earn an AFLW contract. Mulder and Cregg both new players, but anyone who watched any length of WAFLW this season could see they had draftable traits. The only question mark I had on Cregg was the fact she was 29 and whether the Dockers would take a chance on her, but her athletic traits make her an easy selection coming from a Gaelic background, and it worked well for her Subiaco teammate Amy Mulholland.

Fiedler is a selection I wouldn't have picked but at the end of the day, that's not through awards or anything else, rather my own observation from watching every game in the competition. I have both Matilda Dyke and Arianna Hetherington ahead of her. They're all rucks btw, though Fielder has the extra size which might have been what the Dockers were after. The other two have the additional athleticism, but Hetherington comes from an elite multi-sport background of basketball and rugby, while Dyke has only come into a ruck role (after being a key back) late last season. That's the beauty of it though, I can say I don't neccessarily think Player X was the one I would pick, but the clubs have their own thoughts, own goals and obviously own eyes to draw opinions from. I would never say "can't believe they didn't win when they're a BnF winner".

That just tells me you don't watch WAFLW. All four selections have played each game this year. Mulder, Cregg and Flynn are all terrific selections who add a mix of pace and in the case of Flynn, skill. She was also a train-on with the Dockers last season and one of the highest touted players who was yet to earn an AFLW contract. Mulder and Cregg both new players, but anyone who watched any length of WAFLW this season could see they had draftable traits. The only question mark I had on Cregg was the fact she was 29 and whether the Dockers would take a chance on her, but her athletic traits make her an easy selection coming from a Gaelic background, and it worked well for her Subiaco teammate Amy Mulholland.

Fiedler is a selection I wouldn't have picked but at the end of the day, that's not through awards or anything else, rather my own observation from watching every game in the competition. I have both Matilda Dyke and Arianna Hetherington ahead of her. They're all rucks btw, though Fielder has the extra size which might have been what the Dockers were after. The other two have the additional athleticism, but Hetherington comes from an elite multi-sport background of basketball and rugby, while Dyke has only come into a ruck role (after being a key back) late last season. That's the beauty of it though, I can say I don't neccessarily think Player X was the one I would pick, but the clubs have their own thoughts, own goals and obviously own eyes to draw opinions from.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I had Hetherington like you. Dyke made sense with Cuthbertson leaving. But I did pick Chloe Wrigley I just didn’t think she was going to Carlton. The Blues are boosting their outside Marianna Anthony looks ready to go although she has been playing on the inside lately. Good to see Ruby Tripoli get picked up as well, all her hard work has finally paid off.

Last edited:
I had Hetherington like you. Dyke made sense with Cuthbertson leaving. But I did pick Chloe Wrigley I just didn’t think she was going to Carlton. The Blues are boosting their outside Marianna Anthony looks ready to go although she has been playing on the inside lately. Good to see Ruby Tripoli get picked up as well, all her hard work has finally paid off.
Carlton picked up the best inside mid in WA. Have a look at Peel since she has not been in the side. Incredible get.

Carlton picked up the best inside mid in WA. Have a look at Peel since she has not been in the side. Incredible get.
Have to agree with you. And it looked like you were trying to fill in the necessary gaps in your team particularly the outside. I know Carlton still needed that tall forward, but Mattea Breed went very early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few changes I'd make to the 23 in 2023 if I was going to do it now.

I'd bring in Eastern Ranges' Laura Stone who has really backed up her bottom-age form and gone to another level. I'd also add Calder Cannons' Sarah Grunden (who is a first rounder IMO real draft bolter) as well as big improver Lily Jordan. A little limited having only been that small forward, but as clean as anyone and so smart around goals. Others I'd consider are West Australians Anjelique Raison (was in that 24th-28th bracket when I did it) and Ella Slocombe who has had a ripping start to the year and has those athletic traits clubs can work with.

A few other notes:
  • Lauren Young and Shineah Goody clearly the top two AFLW prospects now
  • Alyssia Pisano and Stone the top two Vic prospects in my eyes (though Weston-Turner has the potential to be right up there)
  • The standout WA AFLW prospects have mainly remained the same with Slocombe joining them
  • Georgia Clark has gone to another level this year, she's the standout tall forward (depending on how you classify Young, otherwise next best), safest hands going around
  • Obviously two players already drafted in Matilda Scholz (would have been 3-8 bracket in the power rankings) and Darcie Davies (would have been 6-12 bracket)

As an additional point, Brooke Sheridan (Lions Academy graduate) returned from a poorly timed ACL and missed all of her top-age season (She's an 04er). She's a low-production but high-damage forward. Not necessarily someone I'd have in the draft frame, but just a player to potentially write down because she's got some nice traits and if she can add a bit more substance, she could be a player down the track.

Molly Brooksby just the three games in from her knee and hamstring issues. Did pretty well for SA against WA, a good month or so of games will be great for her, rate her very highly. I think her last two champs games will get the best out of her in August.

A few changes I'd make to the 23 in 2023 if I was going to do it now.

I'd bring in Eastern Ranges' Laura Stone who has really backed up her bottom-age form and gone to another level. I'd also add Calder Cannons' Sarah Grunden (who is a first rounder IMO real draft bolter) as well as big improver Lily Jordan. A little limited having only been that small forward, but as clean as anyone and so smart around goals. Others I'd consider are West Australians Anjelique Raison (was in that 24th-28th bracket when I did it) and Ella Slocombe who has had a ripping start to the year and has those athletic traits clubs can work with.

A few other notes:
  • Lauren Young and Shineah Goody clearly the top two AFLW prospects now
  • Alyssia Pisano and Stone the top two Vic prospects in my eyes (though Weston-Turner has the potential to be right up there)
  • The standout WA AFLW prospects have mainly remained the same with Slocombe joining them
  • Georgia Clark has gone to another level this year, she's the standout tall forward (depending on how you classify Young, otherwise next best), safest hands going around
  • Obviously two players already drafted in Matilda Scholz (would have been 3-8 bracket in the power rankings) and Darcie Davies (would have been 6-12 bracket)

As an additional point, Brooke Sheridan (Lions Academy graduate) returned from a poorly timed ACL and missed all of her top-age season (She's an 04er). She's a low-production but high-damage forward. Not necessarily someone I'd have in the draft frame, but just a player to potentially write down because she's got some nice traits and if she can add a bit more substance, she could be a player down the track.

Molly Brooksby
just the three games in from her knee and hamstring issues. Did pretty well for SA against WA, a good month or so of games will be great for her, rate her very highly. I think her last two champs games will get the best out of her in August.
I don't know the rules around signing additional players here on in, but Yoshida Luca-Martin did her acl last weekend, so we're going to be looking for another forward before the season.

I don't know the rules around signing additional players here on in, but Yoshida Luca-Martin did her acl last weekend, so we're going to be looking for another forward before the season.
I'd imagine it will be a mature-age one and more likely one with more runs under her belt. There's quite a few capable ones who at the least can fill a void for a season. Then of course there's anyone across the country who hasn't been picked yet if they're willing to move.

Been a hot minute, but the June Power Rankings are out! A few surprises in there and definitely mulled long and hard over some, with the last 5-10 very even and filling out those final few spots very difficult.

Ultimately most comfortable with the top nine before it gets difficult which are:

1 Lauren Young
2 Shineah Goody
3 Alyssia Pisano
4 Piper Window
5 Brooke Barwick
6 Laura Stone
7 Molly Brooksby
8 Georgia Clark
9 Elaine Grigg

Been a hot minute, but the June Power Rankings are out! A few surprises in there and definitely mulled long and hard over some, with the last 5-10 very even and filling out those final few spots very difficult.

Ultimately most comfortable with the top nine before it gets difficult which are:

1 Lauren Young
2 Shineah Goody
3 Alyssia Pisano
4 Piper Window
5 Brooke Barwick
6 Laura Stone
7 Molly Brooksby
8 Georgia Clark
9 Elaine Grigg

hopefully barwick and clark nominate only us as part of tassie

be a huge coup to get both with late picks even if they end up going to tassie in 4 years time

Hopefully we get told about what shethouse compo we get for loosing Chloe Molloy before the draft starts.

Incompetent administration.
Wait until the general public realise Port Adelaide is getting the two best draft prospects outside the draft for free!

Imagine the uproar if it was the men's draft and a club was taking Harley Reid and Jed Walter (without bidding) just prior to the draft. Then the draft begins. Obviously all part of expansion, but having the two best prospects in the land coming for free is a blessing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back