Draft 2023 AFLW Draft Analysis - Slice of Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait until the general public realise Port Adelaide is getting the two best draft prospects outside the draft for free!

Imagine the uproar if it was the men's draft and a club was taking Harley Reid and Jed Walter (without bidding) just prior to the draft. Then the draft begins. Obviously all part of expansion, but having the two best prospects in the land coming for free is a blessing.
If Port Adelaide weren't in the comp, it would just be Adelaide getting those players "for free". Difference being Port Adelaide actually need more talent, whereas Adelaide... not so much.

If Port Adelaide weren't in the comp, it would just be Adelaide getting those players "for free". Difference being Port Adelaide actually need more talent, whereas Adelaide... not so much.
Well yeah. This isn't about Port Adelaide, it's just emphasising the inequality in the women's competition as it stands. I quite like Port's list - a lot of the SA talent I've enjoyed watching went there, so hope they do well. In the next couple of seasons I anticipate they'll overtake Adelaide (not this season but perhaps the next or certainly the one after).

Well yeah. This isn't about Port Adelaide, it's just emphasising the inequality in the women's competition as it stands. I quite like Port's list - a lot of the SA talent I've enjoyed watching went there, so hope they do well. In the next couple of seasons I anticipate they'll overtake Adelaide (not this season but perhaps the next or certainly the one after).
Speaking more to the point about the general public's reaction, nobody cared about Adelaide's exclusive access to talent until they won flags, and it'll be the same for Port.

That's assuming this upcoming batch of SA talent will even be able to stay fit, free of injury, out of trouble and resist offers from interstate or across town...

Speaking more to the point about the general public's reaction, nobody cared about Adelaide's exclusive access to talent until they won flags, and it'll be the same for Port.

That's assuming this upcoming batch of SA talent will even be able to stay fit, free of injury, out of trouble and resist offers from interstate or across town...
There will be a fair few that head interstate purely off the fact that there's only X amount of list spots in South Australia. I know clubs will also try and convince the top few to move, Young and Goody as good as signed (have been training with Port prior to their Academy commitments). Even if the SA teams signed Window, Brooksby, Grigg, that's five of potentially say 6-8 spots. Brooke Boileau next best, but real even after that.

The South Adelaide crop this year has a few that might land on interstate team lists. It's why Monique Bessen didn't get a gig this time. Effectively she was in their best team, but they got interest from interstate clubs on some of the top-agers so opted to preference them (which of course they should).

The watering down of the "uncompromised" draft has started.

Good luck to the Western Bulldogs getting themselves off the bottom of the ladder when the expansion clubs who finished higher than them raid the draft first.

Good luck to the Western Bulldogs getting themselves off the bottom of the ladder when the expansion clubs who finished higher than them raid the draft first.
they can cry into their premiership cup.

Giving two finals sides draft concessions is certainly a choice when your league has serious parity issues. I assume that North will still get to pick the Tassie girls. Melbourne gets a FD. The way they're stacking Hawthorn and Port with young talent may have ramifications down the road. Compo picks pushing the bad teams' second picks further back. If there's a plan here, it's not obvious what it is.

No Pisano in those signings, which is something. What, I'm not entirely sure, but it's something.

Last edited:
Giving two finals sides draft concessions is certainly a choice when your league has serious parity issues. I assume that North will still get to pick the Tassie girls. Melbourne gets a FD. The way they're stacking Hawthorn and Port with young talent may have ramifications down the road. Compo picks pushing the bad teams' second picks further back. If there's a plan here, it's not obvious what it is.

No Pisano in those signings, which is something. What, I'm not entirely sure, but it's something.
Pisano declined the offer to go into the draft. She wanted the "draft experience" which is bloody fair enough too. They'd locked in Stone and Vukic early and decided on McLaughlin (who was the obvious choice) in more recent times.

Pisano declined the offer to go into the draft. She wanted the "draft experience" which is bloody fair enough too. They'd locked in Stone and Vukic early and decided on McLaughlin (who was the obvious choice) in more recent times.
Hard to pick where Pisano ends up, though. She's not exactly the prototype big athletic mid that's gone pick one the last few drafts. Hawks have the second Vic pick right now. I hope she doesn't have to wait long.

FTR obviously Lauren Young and Shineah Goody to Port, Amy Gaylor to Essendon as others that will tick over.
Does that mean Kavanagh isn't signing, or you just don't know yet?

Hard to pick where Pisano ends up, though. She's not exactly the prototype big athletic mid that's gone pick one the last few drafts. Hawks have the second Vic pick right now. I hope she doesn't have to wait long.

Does that mean Kavanagh isn't signing, or you just don't know yet?
Considering the talent that will be out of the "live draft", it would be crazy for her not to be top five. I was thinking the other day that if there was one player who could have the game on their terms for 10 minutes, who is the most damaging? It would be Pisano. She's not neccessarily going to have 15-20 and dominate consistently, but I've seen games where she kicks 3-4 goals in as many minutes and it's lights out for the opposition. Easily could have kicked 50+ goals at Talent League level this year if she'd maintained her early season conversion.

Essendon was only opting to sign one last I heard. Most clubs are only taking two picks in this year's draft, so for pre-signings, they have to weigh up whether the player is a) fits a need and b) is better than their potential options at those "live picks". There was a rumour that Essendon was opting not to sign anyone but Calder was confident Gaylor goes via pre-listing and after speaking to her, without 100% saying so, I came away thinking she was headed there.

Kavanagh very good all-round and her improvements have made her draftable in that 25-40 range, but doesn't have that explosive speed or athleticism Gaylor has - not many do have the all-round profile Gaylor does - which is why I can see them only opting for the one inside mid. They'll both compete for the same position, and Essendon does have some good mids in there, so I can see the reasoning essentially.

Full AFLW Academy squad for next year. A pretty strong one as expected. Only a few changes out of my personal 26. Another serious focus on talls for the depth which is as expected. A real bumper crop!

NAMESURNAMESTATESTATE LEAGUE CLUBCOMMUNITY CLUB
GraceBabaVIC MEastern RangesMooroolbark
LillyBakerQLDBrisbane Lions AcademyMaroochydore
ZoeBesankoVIC CDandenong StingraysFrankston Dolphins
AshleyCentraVIC CGippsland PowerSale City
JasmineEvansSACentral DistrictSalisbury
ZipporahFishWAEast Fremantle
SierraGrievesVIC MWestern JetsYarraville Seddon Eagles
TaraHarringtonQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBond University
HavanaHarrisQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBurleigh
SaraHowleyVIC CGeelong FalconsNewtown & Chilwell
EmmaJunejaNSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyEast Sydney
MillieLangVIC CGWV RebelsRedan
EmmaMcDonaldVIC MOakleigh ChargersAshburton
SophieMcKayVIC MSandringham DragonsPrahran
GeorgiaMcKeeSACentral DistrictGolden Grove
MollyO’HehirWASouth FremantleSouth Coogee
LuciaPainterVIC CBendigo PioneersWhite Hills
AshleyPattonNSW/ACTGWS Giants AcademyTuggeranong
TatyanaPerryNTNorthern Territory AcademyPalmerston
IndiaRasheedSASturtGlenunga
CharlotteRiggsSACentral DistrictAngle Vale
PoppyScholzSAGlenelgMitcham
ElliSymondsVIC CDandenong StingraysFrankston Dolphins
SiennaTallaritiVIC MOakleigh ChargersWhitehorse Pioneers
MackenzieWilliamsTASTasmania DevilsNorth Hobart
ClaudiaWrightWAClaremontClaremont

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And seeing a prospect from good ol' Mooza B in Baba is bloody awesome.

Forever my home town and happy about a name I've just discovered.
Talented athletic defender who really impressed this year. Still developing some of her game sense but can be offensive and defensive.

If the Swans wind up with pick one, are there any players who might consider going up there? Maybe KLWT goes up to join Ham?
Most of the players that moved there came as a surprise to everyone else, so trying to come up with a list of potentials seems pointless.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Most of the players that moved there came as a surprise to everyone else, so trying to come up with a list of potentials seems pointless.
Given Sydney's track record, you're right that it could equally be somebody with no connection to Sydney that goes up there (if someone does). It's not all speculation, though. Sometimes P4L asks the players where they're nominating or whether they'd be open to a move. Also, KLWT has mentioned that Ham was a mentor for her at the Jets, so a move for her would be considerably less surprising than Ham herself was.

But yeah, if Morphett considering a move to one of teams that already seemed like they had too many rucks proves anything, it's that trying to predict AFLW player movement is a futile exercise.

Source?

Clubs normally have to delist and draft 3 players, so maybe the swans expect to trade out or delist some more players to open more spots?
Official site has been reporting that teams need to delist down to 28 rather than 27.

Clubs must have a minimum of two spots available ahead of the draft, which will be held on December 18.

I'm guessing that teams taking only two spots to the draft won't be able to pass, but who knows? Previously you could pass with your third pick and beyond.

Source?

Clubs normally have to delist and draft 3 players, so maybe the swans expect to trade out or delist some more players to open more spots?
Expansion clubs were given 3 extra list spots for season 8
This is reduced to 2 extra list spots for season 9

So our snapshot at the moment without including trade/transfers is 2 list spots to take to the draft

Expansion clubs were given 3 extra list spots for season 8
This is reduced to 2 extra list spots for season 9

So our snapshot at the moment without including trade/transfers is 2 list spots to take to the draft
Surprised swans and bombers get to keep the extra list spots after making finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back