2023 and onwards/depth and draft strength

Remove this Banner Ad

Can this side win a premiership in 2026? Apart from Fyfe, Pearce and Walters, they are all under 30 and in prime years.

Walker (23) Pearce (31) Draper (22)
Young (25) Cox (27) Clark (25)
Worner (23) Johnson (23) Noddy (23)
Freddy (25) Jackson (24) Switta (30)
Shultz (28) Amiss (23) Kuek (25)

Darcy (27) Brayshaw (26) Serong (25)

Int. Fyfe (34) Chappy (24) Erasmus (23) Walters (35)

Fill the gaps for 2025.

Current listed candidates we've got; Davies, Sturt, Benning, Draper, Banfield, Hughes, Knobel, Brodie, Worner, Williams, Henry, Treacy, Emmett, Corbett, Reidy,...

B. Chapman Pearce Walker
HB. Clark Cox Young
C. NOD Serong Johnson
HF. ???? Jackson ????
F. Switta Amiss Fredrick

R. Darcy Brayshaw Erasmus

Int. Schultz ???? ???? ????

We've also got 3 trade and draft periods between now and then to find extra talent.
Luke Rayn just turned 27. He's not going to fall off a cliff in 2 years. That solves the 7 defenders.

Will Brodie obviously has a few things to work on, but at 24 he could still easily be best 23.

Midfield needs an elite wing and a big body who can rip a game apart (if only Fyfe was 5 years younger)

The forward line is a mess.

We have enough rucks.

Can this side win a premiership in 2026? Apart from Fyfe, Pearce and Walters, they are all under 30 and in prime years.

Nice.

I don't think you can play Pearce, Cox and Draper all in the same back 6 though. Luke Ryan comes in. We also have Davies developing.

Worner needs to debut. Would love to see him get a crack.

Kuek is a long way off.

Have you written off Tracey?

If Jackson can play like he did against the Hawks consistently in 2-3 years time than that will be enough to drag us into the top 4. As was proven on the weekend, we need another KPF to partner with Amiss which allows Jackson to roam the ground. End of 2024 we need to be going full steam ahead for Naughton. In the meantime we need an elite small forward to eventually replace Walters.

Fill the gaps for 2025.

Current listed candidates we've got; Davies, Sturt, Benning, Draper, Banfield, Hughes, Knobel, Brodie, Worner, Williams, Henry, Treacy, Emmett, Corbett, Reidy,...

B. Chapman Pearce Walker
HB. Clark Cox Young
C. NOD Serong Johnson
HF. ???? Jackson ????
F. ???? Amiss Fredrick

Int. Schultz Treacy Switta ???? ????

We've also got 3 trade and draft periods between now and then to find extra talent.

Treacy deserve a spot yet? I'm thinking it's a touch too soon but hopefully he keeps going on his current trajectory.

Even so, it's starting to look promising.

Last edited:
I still feel like we’re only one or two brave or timely decisions away from putting it all together this season. Form comes back. Over the last couple of weeks our goal kicking has improved. If we can win contested ball better and move it better from out of half back then it goes a long way to playing more competitively
Incredibly prescient at a time when we were in the depths. What you highlighted is almost exactly what the last month has brought.

Incredibly prescient at a time when we were in the depths. What you highlighted is almost exactly what the last month has brought.
Well like Marwood says in my favourite movie, even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

But it was clear some players were out of form: Brayshaw, Jackson and JOM especially, which has a knock on effect forward and back. Now we know Brayshaw was injured and the other two just needed to find their feet. Those three playing better and the decision to back in Treacy fixed our forward structure and strengthened the midfield, which gives time for the backs to set up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well like Marwood says in my favourite movie, even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

But it was clear some players were out of form: Brayshaw, Jackson and JOM especially, which has a knock on effect forward and back. Now we know Brayshaw was injured and the other two just needed to find their feet. Those three playing better and the decision to back in Treacy fixed our forward structure and strengthened the midfield, which gives time for the backs to set up.
Youre not often wrong but... youre right this time!
I love it when the plan comes together!
And still room for a lot of growth this season.
Yokai!

Nah, bask in the glory. I had us pencilled in for a 20 year rebuild after round two but you smashed it out the park.

Youre not often wrong but... youre right this time!
I love it when the plan comes together!
And still room for a lot of growth this season.
Yokai!
Just getting another 5% out of our young players puts us in an amazing position from the next couple of years.
Noddy, Ras, Johnno, Amiss, Walker, Jackson, Treacy, Clark, Chapman. Even Young and Serong, who are both only 22.

Nah, bask in the glory. I had us pencilled in for a 20 year rebuild after round two but you smashed it out the park.
I had a pretty good melt after the saints game too though. We were very disappointing and it looked like we’d gone backwards, but just illustrates you can’t get too upset when JL has clearly shown he’s a methodical guy.

Fill the gaps for our 2025 premiership attempt.

Current listed candidates we've got; Davies, Sturt, Benning, Draper, Banfield, Hughes, Knobel, Brodie, Worner, Williams, Henry, Emmett, Corbett, Reidy, Stanley...

B. Chapman Pearce Walker
HB. Clark Cox Young
C. NOD Serong Johnson
HF. ???? Jackson ????
F. ???? Amiss Fredrick

Int. Schultz Treacy Switta ????

Sub. ????

We've also got 2 trade and draft periods between now and then to find extra talent.

Current listed candidates we've got; Davies, Sturt, Benning, Draper, Banfield, Hughes, Knobel, Brodie, Worner, Williams, Henry, Emmett, Corbett, Reidy, Stanley...

B. Chapman Pearce Walker
HB. Clark Cox Young
C. NOD Serong Johnson
HF. ???? Jackson ????
F. ???? Amiss Fredrick

Int. Schultz Treacy Switta ????

Sub. ????

We've also got 2 trade and draft periods between now and then to find extra talent.
You wouldn't have 3 forwards and then 3 ???? on the main team in the forward line. As a consequence regardless of where the 4 ???? are, the will need to be around 2 midfielders (as a base line normally 1 "centre" midfielder and 1 "winger / utility", but see *), 1 defender and 1 forward. *I also don't think that Johnson will be a wingman longer term (Longmuir has said that he wants him to be more centre square player ASAP) so I think you are looking for 1 winger and 1 wing/utility.

Assuming that Ryan is not available (As I understand it he would 30 in 2025, which I think is still a reasonable age), then the obvious next player in would be Draper - Draper is playing as an intercept defender (although he is being matched up against the WAFLs best forwards across the last few games), has good skills, is 196cm but also incredibly athletic. The only reason he wouldn't be in line for this is because they decide he is more useful elsewhere; it does strike me that perhaps he might make a really good wingman if he can get his endurance up towards that.

In terms of the last forward, again assuming that Walters and Fyfe are "gone" by then (bearing in mind that they have signed up till this year), then I think your main options are Sturt, Banfield and Emmett. Emmett has been getting better and better as the season wears on and I can see him quickly coming into favour as a pressure forward who also can kick a mercurial goal. Sturt is the most talented and arguably the most reasonable to replace someone like Walters but he has to work hard enough to outlast him, and I think I am increasingly thinking that that won't happen.

So then in terms of the two wing or wing/utility types, the only options we have on your current list is Henry, Worner, Stanley and Williams. I think Henry is good but is maybe not best suited to the wing position and there is so much hatred of him by fans that I think the best thing for him would be to move onto another team. I think Worner, Stanley and Williams are less than 50% chances to make it; Worner has to greatly increase his endurance and hold his skills at a high level, Stanley is interesting but very raw and Williams I think has not made enough progress yet to suggest he will make it. I note that in this category you have written off Aish and O'Meara who probably would still be around, I think one of those will fill a role and bring that all important experience to the team. I also think that the potential for a new recruit to jump in here is also a possibility.

Current listed candidates we've got; Davies, Draper, Hughes, Knobel, Brodie, Worner, Williams, Henry, O'Driscoll ,Emmett, Stanley, Switta...

B. Chapman Pearce Walker
HB. Clark Cox Young
C. ???? Serong ????
HF. ???? Jackson Schultz
F. ???? Amiss Fredrick

R. Darcy Brayshaw Johnson

Int. ????, ????, ????, Treacy

Sub. Erasmus

Last edited:

Current listed candidates we've got; Davies, Sturt, Benning, Draper, Banfield, Hughes, Knobel, Brodie, Worner, Williams, Henry, Emmett, Corbett, Reidy, Stanley, Switta...

B. Chapman Pearce Walker
HB. Clark Cox Young
C. NOD Serong Johnson
HF. ???? Jackson ????
F. ???? Amiss Fredrick

Int. ???? ???? Schultz, Treacy

Sub. ????

Midfield slant, as we got mauled there again today and the month of good contest work starts to look like the outlier.

Looking at this, if the next four weeks go against us, we have no choice but to bring Brodie back and try get games into Erasmus?

The current mix isn't working, and if we're working on the skeleton above, we're needing another clearance mid (and getting Erasmus/ Johnson to the level). Chances of drafting an inside mid to assist by start of 2025 season pretty slim.

Current listed candidates we've got; Davies, Sturt, Benning, Draper, Banfield, Hughes, Knobel, Brodie, Worner, Williams, Henry, Emmett, Corbett, Reidy, Stanley, Switta...

B. Chapman Pearce Walker
HB. Clark Cox Young
C. ???? Serong ????
HF. ???? Jackson Schultz
F. ???? Amiss Fredrick

Int. ???? NOD, ????, Treacy

Sub. Erasmus

So you’ve put a line through Fyfe, Walters, JOM, Aish and Ryan, surely this is the 2026-7 team then?

Here’s my team based on the available players stipulated in the above post.

B. Draper Pearce Walker
HB. Clark Cox Young
C. Chapman Serong NOD
HF. Sturt Treacy Schultz
F. Switta Amiss Fredrick

Int. Jackson, Stanley, Erasmus, Worner

Sub. Brodie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back