Fixture 2023 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

We've got 9 games left and I think 6 wins would guarantee top 2. 5 wins might still get it done. That's a great spot to be in when you could go 5-4 home and possibly still take top 2.

Our next 3 Ess, GC and Carlton are certainly all winnable, and if we reached 14 on the trot heading into the game against Collingwood here wouldn't that be an all time cracker of a game.

I do like the concept of dropping one before finals. Even the best teams always have. The Magpies teams of the 90s always had mid season slumps before rising in finals. But hey keep clocking up wins while we can.
Not even the great Essendon team of 2000 went undefeated. We lost to the Bombers in Melbourne late in 2004 - maybe a repeat next week could be an omen.

Remaining games

Round 16:
Essendon at the MCG
Round 17: Gold Coast Suns at Adelaide Oval
Round 18: Carlton at Marvel Stadium
Round 19: Collingwood at Adelaide Oval
Round 20: Adelaide Crows at Adelaide Oval
Round 21: Geelong at GMHBA Stadium
Round 22: GWS Giants at Adelaide Oval
Round 23: Fremantle at Optus Stadium
Round 24: Richmond at Adelaide Oval

Remaining fixture difficulty: Fourth-hardest

The Power are playing finals, there’s no question there - they could probably lose every remaining game and still hold onto their spot. And with a four-game lead on fifth-placed St Kilda, they just need to win the simpler games on their fixture to lock up the double chance. While it would’ve helped if their old mates Adelaide had held off Collingwood, it was another example of why the Magpies aren’t some bulletproof ladder leader. So while the Pies still have the percentage advantage, they can certainly be passed - and the winner of Round 19’s looming blockbuster will be favoured for the minor premiership. Of course the Power know as well as anyone a minor premiership doesn’t mean much come September. They just want those two Adelaide Oval finals guaranteed, and if they win five or six of their last nine, they should have them.

Remaining games

Round 16:
Essendon at the MCG
Round 17: Gold Coast Suns at Adelaide Oval
Round 18: Carlton at Marvel Stadium
Round 19: Collingwood at Adelaide Oval
Round 20: Adelaide Crows at Adelaide Oval
Round 21: Geelong at GMHBA Stadium
Round 22: GWS Giants at Adelaide Oval
Round 23: Fremantle at Optus Stadium
Round 24: Richmond at Adelaide Oval

Remaining fixture difficulty: Fourth-hardest

The Power are playing finals, there’s no question there - they could probably lose every remaining game and still hold onto their spot. And with a four-game lead on fifth-placed St Kilda, they just need to win the simpler games on their fixture to lock up the double chance. While it would’ve helped if their old mates Adelaide had held off Collingwood, it was another example of why the Magpies aren’t some bulletproof ladder leader. So while the Pies still have the percentage advantage, they can certainly be passed - and the winner of Round 19’s looming blockbuster will be favoured for the minor premiership. Of course the Power know as well as anyone a minor premiership doesn’t mean much come September. They just want those two Adelaide Oval finals guaranteed, and if they win five or six of their last nine, they should have them.

8-1 to finish the season... Then finals 😳

🤔 Yeah depends on if they pull there finger out or not .. haven't been impressed so far this season.
I wonder if they are now a little desperate.

They have a tough run home, but all the games in Geelong will help. I have them at 12 wins, which is boarderline.

I wonder if they are now a little desperate.

They have a tough run home, but all the games in Geelong will help. I have them at 12 wins, which is boarderline.
Maybe with the extra game this season, 13 is the minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Screenshot_20230626-085413.png

Can't help but look at that and think that coughing up that 40 point turnaround to the Hawks could still prove supremely costly. For the record, had we just held that 90+ point lead our percentage would've been around 123%.

Brisbane going to be right on our hammer the whole way form here.

View attachment 1722517

Can't help but look at that and think that coughing up that 40 point turnaround to the Hawks could still prove supremely costly. For the record, had we just held that 90+ point lead our percentage would've been around 123%.

Since when have home finals helped either us or Brisbane? Seems worse in theory than reality.

Since when have home finals helped either us or Brisbane? Seems worse in theory than reality.
We can say that, but do you want to face Brisbane away in a final? Our only hope is at home. Ditto with Collingwood. Yes at home we aren't great but against the best we're even worse away. Especially under the heat of a large intense crowd.

To make the GF we need to finish top 2. All we're playing for now is top 2, top 4 is nearly a lock. If we can get a small advantage then we need to claim it. If we dont and we fall away then we've probably peaked too early and aint winning finals anyway. We're certainly at the point now though where GF is the only acceptable outcome, and that means keeping up our form, finishing top 2 and winning our way through.

If we lose our spot in the top 2 based on a tiny bit of percentage we'll be kicking ourselves.

We can say that, but do you want to face Brisbane away in a final? Our only hope is at home. Ditto with Collingwood. Yes at home we aren't great but against the best we're even worse away. Especially under the heat of a large intense crowd.

To make the GF we need to finish top 2. All we're playing for now is top 2, top 4 is nearly a lock. If we can get a small advantage then we need to claim it. If we dont and we fall away then we've probably peaked too early and aint winning finals anyway. We're certainly at the point now though where GF is the only acceptable outcome, and that means keeping up our form, finishing top 2 and winning our way through.

If we lose our spot in the top 2 based on a tiny bit of percentage we'll be kicking ourselves.

I realise this is a fringe view but I think the pressure of potentially losing 3 home prelims in 4 years would be immense and that it's possible we'd be better off playing away.

I realise this is a fringe view but I think the pressure of potentially losing 3 home prelims in 4 years would be immense and that it's possible we'd be better off playing away.
The 2004 team would have felt the same pressure about QF's, need to face past demons and get past them if they want to be successful.

If we meet Collingwood in the GF I would be expecting the resulting reaming to give the Bulldogs/Sydney fiasco a run for its money.

If we meet Collingwood in the GF I would be expecting the resulting reaming to give the Bulldogs/Sydney fiasco a run for its money.

Collingwood aren’t a small battler club like the Bulldogs though. Collingwood winning wouldn’t be that big of a fairytale I don’t think.

Their current drought is only 13 years which isn’t much compared to the likes of Bulldogs (62), Richmond (37), Melbourne (57) etc.

Plus, if we have to front up to someone on the day, specially a big Victorian MCG tenant, then it may as well be the one that has a reputation for losing lots of Grand Finals.

Collingwood aren’t a small battler club like the Bulldogs though. Collingwood winning wouldn’t be that big of a fairytale I don’t think.

Their current drought is only 13 years which isn’t much compared to the likes of Bulldogs (62), Richmond (37), Melbourne (57) etc.

Plus, if we have to front up to someone on the day, specially a big Victorian MCG tenant, then it may as well be the one that has a reputation for losing lots of Grand Finals.
It would actually be hilarious seeing fat Ed’s face if port beat collingwood in the GF. A win for the ages.

View attachment 1722517

Also, had we not shat the bed against Collingwood and lost by 2-4 goals, our percentage would look a lot different too. Also, if we kicked straight against melb and essendon and won both games by 40+ like we should’ve. We’d be in the 125% range I’d say too

Also, had we not shat the bed against Collingwood and lost by 2-4 goals, our percentage would look a lot different too. Also, if we kicked straight against melb and essendon and won both games by 40+ like we should’ve. We’d be in the 125% range I’d say too
But unlike previous years, this team is never beaten - the hunger for success is unrivalled, compared with what we've seen in recent years. If that hunger continues (and I can't see why it won't), then teams below us will struggle to make up the ground required to pinch our top two spot.

But how we come back after the bye will tell us plenty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back