2023 Alberton Oval Redevelopment Pics

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the photos. I’m a bit worried as one of my favourite viewing spots at Alberton was in front of the old scoreboard. Can I even get around there anymore and if that’s possible the area seems very flat with no hint of a mound?

Thanks for the photos. I’m a bit worried as one of my favourite viewing spots at Alberton was in front of the old scoreboard. Can I even get around there anymore and if that’s possible the area seems very flat with no hint of a mound?
Agreed, seems strange that you'd basically have zero seating along the majority of the outer wing. I spent the Saturday's of my youth sitting on that outer side watching the footy and it remains my preferred place to sit but looks like it isn't going to be there anymore which is sad. I definitely didn't realise they were completely removing that seating capability.

Wow thanks for the photos Pete, it's really coming along. The dimensions of the High Performance Centre are impressive.

Agreed, seems strange that you'd basically have zero seating along the majority of the outer wing. I spent the Saturday's of my youth sitting on that outer side watching the footy and it remains my preferred place to sit but looks like it isn't going to be there anymore which is sad. I definitely didn't realise they were completely removing that seating capability.
A raised grass standing area would've been nice there.

Being flat opens up a few options though. Food and drink trucks, some marquees or umbrellas, make a little piss up village in no time.
This, make it more of an experience, especially with the potential of Gather Round etc.

Is there definitely no room for seating over there between fence and Carpark? Could always bring your own chair, or as other have said, reverse the car to the fence and sit in the Tray/Boot like yesteryear at South.

So far the original renders have been pretty close to reality.

There wont be much room on the outer wing to put chairs on, but the outer HFF and FP there will be a chance to park the car and sit there and do a Noralunga style viewing, unless they park the food trucks and other pop ups there, which would make sense as that means the soccer pitch doesn't get damaged, with trucks driving all over it.

1704261225268.png

1704261373498.png

Last edited:
So far the original renders have been pretty close to reality.

There wont be much room on the outer wing to put chairs on, but the outer HFF and FP there will be a chance to park the car and sit there and do a Noralunga style viewing, unless they park the food trucks and other pop ups there, which would make sense as that means the soccer pitch doesn't get damaged, with trucks driving all over it.

View attachment 1881245

View attachment 1881248
Was hoping they'd put up a new stand where the new carpark is shown.
Probs not enough money in the kitty, or else the residents would have kicked up a hell of a fuss.

Was hoping they'd put up a new stand where the new carpark is shown.
Probs not enough money in the kitty, or else the residents would have kicked up a hell of a fuss.
A stand was never in the plans. There was no budget for it. But if you can supply a few million, try your hardest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont complain! Think of what the poor dogs have had to sacrifice!

The ground capacity has probably been reduced by several thousand but we are never going to get more than 10,000 to a game at Alberton anyway. If the girls ever make it to the finals there may be a chance of a 10k crowd but there is no chance of a Gather Round game being scheduled at Alberton and our future in the SANFL is clouded at best.

I too have fond memories of Alberton but we have to move on. One interesting factor is the MG sinage all over the Performance Centre that suggests the MG are in it for the long haul unlike some of out more recent sponsors.

Thanks Pete, great photos.

Assuming the car parking would have been a council requirement to somewhat placate disgruntled residents worried about traffic and parking in the streets. Remember they are catering for basketball and soccer now meaning the area will have larger amounts of traffic most days not just footy matchdays.

The Alberton Oval redevelopment is obviously coming along very nicely!

You can't stop progress as the saying goes, most man made structures have a use by date and I believe they may have stopped using them decades ago, but that old galvanised roofed turn style entrance that was behind the northern goal mound and was the entrance to the outer when there was a fence in the right forward pocket separating that area from the members and grandstand side of the ground would have been there for a very long time, and possibly more than 100 years.

I have memories of entering Alberton through those turn styles multiple times from about 4 or 5 years of age, and at the completion of games the famous pie bloke who has been mentioned a number of times on here (or his ancestors) selling their wares from just outside the northern gate alongside them back in the days when big crowds for Maggie's games was par for the course.

Probably need to wait and see what they do on gameday with the carpark area, it would a bit pointless to let just a few supporters park there wouldn't it? perhaps food vans and standing areas I dunno? it wouldn't be hard to rope it off for games.

Probably need to wait and see what they do on gameday with the carpark area, it would a bit pointless to let just a few supporters park there wouldn't it? perhaps food vans and standing areas I dunno? it wouldn't be hard to rope it off for games.
You would think that the car parks won’t be for the plebs, as they will be reserved for the players & officials on match day. So that eastern wing will be one row deep of spectators but the south eastern pocket could take some extra supporters

You would think that the car parks won’t be for the plebs, as they will be reserved for the players & officials on match day. So that eastern wing will be one row deep of spectators but the south eastern pocket could take some extra supporters

Yeah, you’d think the reserved park for the Mayor probably moves from that scrubby lot opposite on Queen St

Remove this Banner Ad

Back