Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

They are easy targets but lets have the fair discussions, who does, or would, McKercher displace if these are our strongest midfielders -
TT, LDU, Simpkin, Phillips, Powell, Wardlaw.
Simpkin, Phillips, Powell - Maybe TT

I think we'll go Mckercher + Curtin if we hold onto pick 2 and 3.

Yep still on the Watson train but it seems unlikely he lands at North.
Souup How come you think it seems unlikely Watson, lands at North? Who would you take at 2 & 3?

Last edited:

I like Darcy Wilson, Mitch Edwards, Joel Freijah, James Leake, Caleb Windsor, Will Green, Angus Hastie around those selections.

Good call on Hastie by the way. You mentioned him earlier in the year before he'd been mentioned by anyone. I re-watched a few of his games and he is so impressive.

Could see him being a more flashier, Brandon Starcevich/Brayden Maynard style accountable defender. Hastie rarely gets beaten one on one and has a tonne of composure with ball in hand.

Last edited:
Ok:
2: McKercher
3: Curtin
15 & 21: Best KPD/KPF?

I can get on board with that, even though I don't want a midfielder with picks 2 and 3.

My position is nothing against McKercher, Sanders, or even Reid by the way. All very good prospects. It's just... I love our current midfield and really think investing more premium draft capital into the midfield is silly.

LDU
Simpkin
Wardlaw
Sheezel
Phillips
George
Thomas
Scott
Powell

All of those young players can and should be best 22, and to accomodate them we're talking about things like playing some of them forward, in defence, etc.

It's not even including players still on our list such as Greenwood, Shiels, Zurhaar, Taylor, and Goater who have all had stints in the midfield too.

If we're serious about wanting to turn the corner and build a premiership list, at some point we need to back in the young players we have and blood them. Give them a full season of 22 games together and let them develop personally, but also develop rapport and cohesion as a unit.

Meanwhile you add in top-level class up forward or down back to support them.

This draft presents us with an opportunity to do that, with players available at the pointy end like Nick Watson, Dan Curtin, but also even Zane Duursma (who I personally don't want us to take, but I acknowledge that at 190cm he could be a good mid/forward type option for us as an upgrade of the Eddie Ford/Curtis Taylor type role).

I did read that you mentioned it.

But then I read other posters still talking about him as a potential draft target here, and I wondered if what you wrote was understood by all.

He is high risk, but there is always that point of risk vs return where it makes sense to take the risk. If there is a substantial variance in talent and ceiling at that area where you have that pick then it makes sense to take on that risk. Higher picks are more risk averse. We have 2, 3, 15 and 21 and two end of first rounders in 2024 we will bring into this year, it is not like we would be riding our only first round pick on a flight risk.

I'd take Watson and Mckercher.

I'd be equally happy with Sanders or Duursma instead of Mckercher.
Thanks. I would love for us to take Watson, will be a bit disappointed if we don't after we got the Mckay compo pick.

This whole situation with Reid just feels like a drawn out game of poker. I feel like the bottom teams are better off laying their cards on the table and openly telling each other their draft order. Everyone can then get what they want rather than the the risk of a minority of clubs making out like bandits and the rest getting a mediocre outcome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can get on board with that, even though I don't want a midfielder with picks 2 and 3.

My position is nothing against McKercher, Sanders, or even Reid by the way. All very good prospects. It's just... I love our current midfield and really think investing more premium draft capital into the midfield is silly.

LDU
Simpkin
Wardlaw
Sheezel
Phillips
George
Thomas
Scott
Powell

All of those young players can and should be best 22, and to accomodate them we're talking about things like playing some of them forward, in defence, etc.

It's not even including players still on our list such as Greenwood, Shiels, Zurhaar, Taylor, and Goater who have all had stints in the midfield too.

If we're serious about wanting to turn the corner and build a premiership list, at some point we need to back in the young players we have and blood them. Give them a full season of 22 games together and let them develop personally, but also develop rapport and cohesion as a unit.

This draft presents us with an opportunity to do that, with players available at the pointy end like Nick Watson, Dan Curtin, but also even Zane Duursma (who I personally don't want us to take, but I acknowledge that at 190cm he could be a good mid/forward type option for us as an upgrade of the Eddie Ford/Curtis Taylor type role).
Brayden George is not a midfielder. He is a forward - leave him there.

LDU
Simpkin
Wardlaw
Sheezel
Phillips
George
Thomas
Scott
Powell

Phillips and Powell are still both very unproven and inconsistent. Could go either way. Question marks are relevant even though I like both players.
Simpkin isn't a superstar and in an a-grade midfield probably won't get as many CBA's as he does now.
Wardlaw will be great... hamstrings permitting.
Thomas is every chance of leaving at the end of next season, doesn't seem in a hurry to sign a contract and the rumours around him wanting to leave have persisted.
Scott has a great work rate and is an asset but has obvious limitations re: disposal and decision making.
Where will Sheezel end up/what will his best position be?
George is a forward/half-forward isn't he?

I think on this board we tend to overrate our midfield at times - there is potential there but there's definitely room for obvious improvement.

Speed, quality ball users, a-grade outside players... definitely a little unbalanced from my perspective and needing to address those areas of the midfield before it's something we can really talk up. From the sounds of McKercher he's a perfect fit to compliment what we don't have in the midfield at present.

Brayden George is not a midfielder. He is a forward - leave him there.

Ironically I see him as a similar type to Harley Reid (who I also think should start his career predominantly as a forward and not a midfielder).

Brayden George: 187cm, 86kg
Harley Reid: 185cm, 85kg

LDU
Simpkin
Wardlaw
Sheezel
Phillips
George
Thomas
Scott
Powell

Question marks on all except LDU and Sheezel.

Simpkin just isn't a top liner. Wardlaw looks great but has iffy hammies. IMO Phillps won't make it. George hasn't played a game. Tarryn probably won't finish his career at North. Scott is a limited but respectable winger. I like Powell but I wouldn't put the house on it.

Midfields win flags and we just finished last. Again.

This mfer better be right but I don't have a lot of faith in him
They will absolutely take him. Very hard to sell to fans that you could have had player and picks vs player.

ie North when we took Phillips and could have moved back

Sounds like he has doubled down on his comments about Reid not wanting to go to WC earlier on in the year.

So many games going on at the moment.

He's getting his info from somewhere....

Is it Connors playing games putting some pressure on WC without publicly coming out and saying he doesn't want to go? (and thus cop the JHF boo treatment for his career)

Is it North feeding some private interview discussions to put pressure on WC to do a deal?

Is it someone from WC or an ex-player/journo feed McClure to put public pressure on WC from their supporter, TO TAKE REID.

So many games going on at the moment.

He's getting his info from somewhere....

Is it Connors playing games putting some pressure on WC without publicly coming out and saying he doesn't want to go? (and thus cop the JHF boo treatment for his career)

Is it North feeding some private interview discussions to put pressure on WC to do a deal?

Is it someone from WC or an ex-player/journo feed McClure to put public pressure on WC from their supporter, TO TAKE REID.
McClure is getting it from Connors, they’re chummy through Old Xavs, can tell you as fact

Question marks on all except LDU and Sheezel.

Simpkin just isn't a top liner. Wardlaw looks great but has iffy hammies. IMO Phillps won't make it. George hasn't played a game. Tarryn probably won't finish his career at North. Scott is a limited but respectable winger. I like Powell but I wouldn't put the house on it.

Midfields win flags and we just finished last. Again.
Look at the side that just won a flag, not every player needs to be star, you need role players too.

Sam McLure is definitive that WC won't pick Reid.

He was also definitive that Luke Hodge would finish his career at the Suns

He was also definitive that Dustin Martin was going to the Suns at the end of 2022

He was also definitive that Dustin Martin was going to the Suns at the end of 2023

He was also definitive that Harley Reid would not want to go to West Coast

He was also definitive that Dustin Martin should go to the Suns on a 3 year deal of 500k per year as opposed to 1.5m from the Tigers for 1 year

I am definitive about 1 thing. Sam McClure is a dead set arse clown.

Phillips and Powell are still both very unproven and inconsistent. Could go either way. Question marks are relevant even though I like both players.
Simpkin isn't a superstar and in an a-grade midfield probably won't get as many CBA's as he does now.
Wardlaw will be great... hamstrings permitting.
Thomas is every chance of leaving at the end of next season, doesn't seem in a hurry to sign a contract and the rumours around him wanting to leave have persisted.
Scott has a great work rate and is an asset but has obvious limitations re: disposal and decision making.
Where will Sheezel end up/what will his best position be?
George is a forward/half-forward isn't he?

I think on this board we tend to overrate our midfield at times - there is potential there but there's definitely room for obvious improvement.

Speed, quality ball users, a-grade outside players... definitely a little unbalanced from my perspective and needing to address those areas of the midfield before it's something we can really talk up. From the sounds of McKercher he's a perfect fit to compliment what we don't have in the midfield at present.

Despite Phillips illness and detractors, Powell remains far more unproven than Will.

Will just had a better 3rd year than both LDU and Simpkin did at that age, with the least amount of TOG of the 3.

Won more of the ball, won more clearances, laid more tackles and put on more pressure than both LDU and Simpkin as 3rd year player, ranked better vs his peers of that year.

1696985910735.png

1696985860787.png

1696985878417.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back