Preview 2023 Round 3 – GWS Giants vs Carlton, Saturday, April 1, 4.35PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
gws-giants.jpg

The Giants should regain important duo Josh Kelly and Lachie Whitfield for Saturday's visit of the Blues, given both are due to exit the AFL's concussion protocols this week. Jacob Wehr will make way for one of them, given he is going to miss a lengthy period with a broken scapula. No.1 pick Aaron Cadman remains on the cusp of a senior debut, but could be made to bide his time again. Phil Davis (ankle) and Darcy Jones (quad) could return through the VFL, having missed the start of the season. Running defender Josh Fahey was again impressive in the reserves, winning 26 touches. - Riley Beveridge

Rd 2 sub: Conor Stone (replaced Jacob Wehr)

Fox sports also thinks there will be minimal changes - Kelly and Whitfield for Wehr and Rowston.

Team Tips: A brutal sling tackle to Jacob Wehr will see the wingman miss this week with a shoulder injury, but the Giants should regain Lachie Whitfieldand Josh Kelly from their respective concussions as the club looks go bounce back from its loss to West Coast. Assuming Finn Callaghan’s shoulder setback sustained against the Eagles isn’t serious, Harry Rowston struggled to have an impact on debut and likely comes straight back out.

A brutal sling tackle to Jacob Wehr will see the wingman miss this week with a shoulder injury
I could have sworn it was a bump...

I would never think that Fox Sports' reporters would comment on a game they didn't watch.

It could, we could also win. I think we will relish the better weather conditions compared to round 1. We are coming off a good last 2 qtrs vs West Coast. We can't afford to have any quarters like q1 vs Adelaide or q2 vs West Coast.
I dont mind losing as long as we play that enterprising brand and move the ball. Against WC we just couldn't get it right

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
L.Whitfield, J.Kelly
Out: J.Wehr (shoulder), A.Kennedy (omitted), C.Stone (sub)

Last week's sub: Conor Stone

That's a bit of a surprise - dropped Kenners and kept Rowston. perhaps indicating Wardy will play forward with Rowston taking Pez's role?
Yes, surprised too that Kennedy got dropped whilst Rowston stayed. Maybe he wants to see Rowston’s development following his debut? Also surprised Kennedy was dropped whilst Riccardi stayed. Kingsley had ear marked Ward as a forward before the season started, and it seemed that’s where Ward exclusively trained during the preseason, so l guess makes sense for Ward to play in the forward line. Will also be interesting to see who the sub will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we push Carlton. Our top end guys are performing.

I'm surprised Lloyd is getting a game still with Stone waiting in wings.
Loved Cooper and Rowston's competitiveness.

Riccardi is the new whipping boy by the looks of things. He'd be feeling the pressure. I hope he kicks a few Sat

Riccardi is the new whipping boy by the looks of things.
I would rephrase that as "Riccardi is not performing to the standard of the rest of the team".

I hate when players end up as whipping boys, because the implication is that they take blame that isn't their fault. Riccardi has not been impacting the game very well, so I think it's fair to hold him accountable for that.

It's more that if he does turn it around, and people are still calling for him to be dropped and/or blaming him for poor showing that he's a whipping boy.

On Riccardi, his best stats are for his first year at the club in 2020. Now, he only played 5, but over the next 3 years, there hasn't been a marked improvement, and he's arguably gone backwards in a few areas in the last 12 months... Where are his leads? If he's not competitive in the air, then he needs to be running into space (and creating space for the other two). He also averages just 1 tackle a game across his whole career, and that's just not enough pressure, even for a tall.

Is it just confidence? I've always wondered with Ricca if it's actually a mental hurdle.

But when he yoyos between 1st and 2nds like last year, it reveals that it's actually the level of play he struggles with at AFL... 7 goals in the VFL followed by 5 disposals for no return in the AFL.

The back line looks a tad small perhaps. If Taylor's taking McKay, that leaves Idun on Curnow, and Haynes on Silvagni? I expect HH to play back this week. Hopefully Lek will be fit soon to bolster height without losing pace (Davis, Keefe)

The back line looks a tad small perhaps. If Taylor's taking McKay, that leaves Idun on Curnow, and Haynes on Silvagni? I expect HH to play back this week. Hopefully Lek will be fit soon to bolster height without losing pace (Davis, Keefe)
Buckley will take Curnow I imagine

1680246417524.png

While Stone is named in the VFL side, there's no mention of him "returning to the side". It may just be a convenient omission from the copy but it would suggest to me that Stone will be our emergency this weekend.

Forecast for tomorrow:

Showers developing. High chance of showers, most likely in the afternoon.
21 degrees.

Need to bring a jumper tomorrow!

What a contrast from blazingly hot 35 degrees.
Will have a negative impact on crowds? And instead of attributing a lower than expected crowd to the adverse weather, some of the so called experts in the media will have a go at us again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back