Preview 2023 Round 8 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Saturday, May 6, 7.25PM AEST, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
After the euphoria of the dramatic last-minute comeback win against Swans, time to sit down and take stock of the good and bad for the next game, against the hated Bulldogs in Canberra. While it was great to salute, and noteworthy for the comeback nature of the win, it is nevertheless clear that there is still a long way for coach Adam Kingsley to go in rejuvenating the Giants team. While he was upbeat in the press conference when asked where the team could go, it is still a week-by-week proposition, and the team needs to keep improving. GWS record in Manuka is now a liability for a home ground, and it's difficult to see us stopping that trend next weekend.

In reality, the win was against the odds. The midfield was beaten in the contest (-23 in CP), and especially in centre clearances (9-22), which is a worrying stat for our first-string midfield line-up. They did hold their own in stoppages around the ground (28-24) despite losing the hitouts (34-50). Arguably, the midfield did stay strong and broke even with the Swans midfield in the last portion of that final quarter, enabling enough I50s to kick the needed goals. Flynn is a solid toiler - in fact, before the start of this round 4th in hitouts - but I do wonder if ruck partner would suit him. Notwithstanding, Tim English is his opponent next week, and he's just behind Flynn in the hitouts count, so I doubt any changes to the ruck set-up. Harry Himmelberg is proving to be a solid back-up option - doesn't necessarily win the hitouts, but often grabs a clearance in the battle due to his mobility (which was the case leading to Greene's winning goal against Swans). Over the season to date, we're 5th last for contested possession, which we definitely need to improve.

We were also -15 for inside 50s against Swans, but the good news was the conversion rate of I50s to score, and even more so conversion to goals. With 3 rushed behinds, we were particularly accurate yesterday, whereas Swans were more a "normal" accuracy, allowing us to sneak past them. But we certainly cannot rely on that every week. With the loss of Sam Taylor, the backline did a great job to hold up - especially Jack Buckley (just a 23-gamer!) on Buddy, who Swans kept kicking to (no doubt, will be highlighted in their review). The question is whether that line-up - which is undersized with 188cm Callum Brown replacing Taylor - can match against the Bulldogs forward line including Lobb/English (each at 207 cm), Naughton and JUH? Dogs also have the dangerous small forward in Cody Weightman to content with as well. For me, the first question for the coaching staff is how they manage the defence. While Callum Brown deserves to keep his spot, and is potentially a match-up on Weightman, do we need another tall?

Notwithstanding the figures quoted above in relation to the midfield battle, we had our first-string midfield out there (except perhaps Wehr vice Angwin), so there won't be any changes. Rowston was a good tactical sub, and seems to play well for one quarter, so is good in that role - provided he's only needed in the last quarter. I'm still not convinced on Angwin, but he's showed some positive signs. I'd still like to see Fahey debut, but concede this week is unlikely.

Up forward, Bedford's inclusion was positive, and he'll be better for the run and getting used again to AFL-level tempo and pressure. With Ward coming back from a week's suspension, I assume that he'll come straight back into the team. You would have to assume that James Peatling would be most at risk. He'd be a little unlucky on this week's performance - 16 touches, 6 tackles and 7 intercepts - so he's done his job except for not kicking goals. I saw someone suggest that Cadman could drop back to VFL for being a touch quiet in his games to date. While he has been that, I'd like to see him get an extended run and the good thing that he's done IMHO that we complained Riccardi didn't has been (a) contest the ball and (b) pressure.

Bulldogs are not exactly tearing it up this year. They've had one good win against Lions, beaten weaker teams in Hawks, Freo and Richmond, and lost to top 8 teams in Port and Saints. So, it's a bit hard to characterise exactly where they sit this year, although it is comfortably better than GWS. They have a good midfield, that has Bontempelli on fire this year, a solid forward line that sometimes gels and sometimes doesn't, and a defence line that is serviceable.

So, team changes. Ward and Lloyd presumably the only guys newly available. Guys like Derksen, Fleeton and Fahey have been playing well in VFL (still have to look at today's game), and there's some questions over what's happening with Briggs, Keeffe and Stone who've been missing from both game sheets and injury lists. Aleer and Davis are still 1 to 2 weeks away. AK likely to prefer less changes after a win, but are some changes need to combat the Bulldogs (who are much taller than Swans, which should be taken into account).

I believe we need an extra KPD due to the Dogs' KPF line - Idun and Brown are too short as second tall, and Haynes doesn't like the 1-on1 aspects: he gets outpointed too often as 3rd tall (but we live with due to his intercepting prowess), but that doesn't work for the team as second tall. Keeffe is a possibility (if available), but I think he's not flexible enough to go with Naughton, JUH and Lobb. I would put HH down there, or even try Derksen - but concede that AK is unlikely to. In that case, I'd probably push Whitfield up to the wing and omit Angwin, in order to keep Brown, with he and Idun mainly in negating roles. Ash and Cumming would be the runners out of defence. As I said, I doubt AK does that, but interesting to see what decisions he makes under the circumstances.

What are your thoughts - what changes would you make (or not make) for this game?

I'd play Brown on Naughton, he's physical and quick enough to go with him, Bucks on Lobb, which probably leaves Haynes for JUH which isn't a bad match up but takes away from Haynes intercept game. Buckley's last 2 mins yesterday were as important as Toby. Marks a certain goal on the line and then a minute later kicked perfectly to Toby on the lead just before he got the goal. Idun needs a big game on Weightman. I thought Whitfield played his best game for the year, which was needed. Our mids are not getting first use as we are losing the ruck battle every week but we have nothing else so they will have to set up better. The fwd efficiency has improved in leaps and bounds since Riccardi went out, unless Hogan goes down I can't see why we would play him, Cadman has done enough to stay in. Bedford was a good pick up. Angwin made a big mistake near the end of game bringing the ball to the corridor and missing the target, almost cost us the game. The new game style is a lot more centre corridor than what we used to do, but you can't miss kicks like that at that point of the game. I'd drop him for Ward. Not sure Lloyd comes straight back in unless it's for someone like Rowston.

We are on a current losing streak of 8 consecutive losses in Manuka. This is our longest ever consecutive losing streak at either of our two home grounds. Our last win in Canberra was May 2019.

The market has the Bulldogs as favourites - we are $2.36 to win whilst the Bulldogs are $1.59. Bulldogs are playing well but I think we are entitled to feel optimistic given our inspiring win against Sydney yesterday.

Ward for peatling
Lloyd for rowston

Leave the rest of the team unchanged.

Don’t get why everyone is so keen to shift the team and play people out of position just to fit all the “best” players in. Was one of the biggest downfalls of Leon trying to play the top 22 ranked players (ie inside midfielders) rather than the best team. Angwin is playing a wing role and has shown enough that he can do that job well (he has only played 2 games). Whitfield has shown over his career that he is nowhere near as affective on a wing. HH is playing a really important role as third tall/backup ruck/loose defender at end of quarters. If we move him back permanently we lose that for minimal benefit in the back half. Riccardi and Derkson can’t do what he can up forward.

Ward for peatling
Lloyd for rowston

Leave the rest of the team unchanged.

Don’t get why everyone is so keen to shift the team and play people out of position just to fit all the “best” players in. Was one of the biggest downfalls of Leon trying to play the top 22 ranked players (ie inside midfielders) rather than the best team. Angwin is playing a wing role and has shown enough that he can do that job well (he has only played 2 games). Whitfield has shown over his career that he is nowhere near as affective on a wing. HH is playing a really important role as third tall/backup ruck/loose defender at end of quarters. If we move him back permanently we lose that for minimal benefit in the back half. Riccardi and Derkson can’t do what he can up forward.
Completely agree players shouldn’t be played out of position.
Am not sure that Lloyd has the runs on the board in 2023 to come back in.

Completely agree players shouldn’t be played out of position.
Am not sure that Lloyd has the runs on the board in 2023 to come back in.

If he is fit I think he is the perfect sub with his work in the forward half and can play wing. Rowston has been really good as the sub but a. Full game in the 2’s would be good for him. Wouldn’t be disappointed if he kept the subs vest. With ward coming back in we have less need for a backup inside mid too.

Looking ahead a little bit but if we see Cadman have another quiet one might not be a bad idea to send him down for a few weeks, would be good to see Derksen or Gruzewski take his place in the 1s. Both have shown strong form to start the year and I think are deserving of a call-up if the opportunity presents itself or even go just the 2 talls and play an extra small to see how that works. Don't think we get anything out of playing Riccardi in the 1s anymore, we know what he is at this point and that's just not an AFL calibre tall, wouldn't completely blacklist if he's in really strong form but would lean towards getting some reps and experience into the younger guys at this point over him, he's not going to be re-signed at the end of the season. If his form is really strong and there's a spot to be had I'd be fine with picking him, think it's important to send the right message to the group that strong form will be rewarded but the younger guys deserve the priority.

Since round 5 we've been the best pressure team in the competition, and are now third across the entire season. Something we were about average for across the first month and a bit of the season but now that's turned into a real strength, no surprise we've been one of the best at generating and scoring from turnover over the last few weeks as well. Defensively we're still too leaky but we're really starting to click offensively, gives us a good floor week in week out that we're going to be around the mark.

Since round 5 we've been the best pressure team in the competition, and are now third across the entire season. Something we were about average for across the first month and a bit of the season but now that's turned into a real strength, no surprise we've been one of the best at generating and scoring from turnover over the last few weeks as well. Defensively we're still too leaky but we're really starting to click offensively, gives us a good floor week in week out that we're going to be around the mark.

It’s the Richmond game plan to a T. They would always lose contested possession but bring that defensive pressure to win it back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm.

Hard to see too many changes this week. Ward will be back, probably at the expense of Peatling. I don't know about Lloyd. Flynn needs help in the ruck but without Briggs or maybe Keeffe there's no obvious candidate. I don't like the idea of bringing in Riccardi.

We have a spring in our step and I think we might be on a bit of an upswing.

I reckon we're going to win this.

Dogs were pretty ordinary against the Hawks …. Score flattered them …. Reckon their defense will struggle against our improved scoring power

XO played so well on the weekend man so happy he's been able to have this patch of form, lead the team in pressure acts i50 and in the foward half and then also was the leader for tackles i50, kicked 2 as well just can't ask for much more from him.
This …. Has he turned a corner or just a passing flash of good form?

XO played so well on the weekend man so happy he's been able to have this patch of form, lead the team in pressure acts i50 and in the foward half and then also was the leader for tackles i50, kicked 2 as well just can't ask for much more from him.
He's benefited from the departures of Hopper and Taranto, able to play a game role that better suits his natural talent.

Obviously not as skilled as them, but in terms of team balance, he probably suits us as a player in the 20-22 range, and paid accordingly.

I initially thought Peatling out for Ward but Peatling was very handy and frees up Callaghan quite a lot. He hasn't finished his shots on goal and had his head down a bit after that.
I don't see the rush to bring Lloyd back.
Thought the team played well.
Rowston went and played VFL the next day so there isn't any need for him to drop. Thought he did well.
I do however want Ward in.
Cadman presented well and got his hands to the ball but just couldn't clunk them Saturday. I will say that he reads and times his jump way better than Ricca so I'm keeping him out there for sure.
I reckon 1 change this week.
Ward in for Peatling. He probably doesn't deserve to be dropped though, just gives us that extra mid rotation.

Perryman influence once they put him forward was incredible. That guy is Mr Fix it.

This …. Has he turned a corner or just a passing flash of good form?
I think he is playing a role suited to his skills more. He is a player that is best in the contest, he hasnt been able to win a role there in the past and has got his opportunity on the wing mostly or as a utility due to his go all day engine.

Really pleased with the effort and attitude the boys have shown this season. Coming back to win from way behind against Adelaide and then last minute wins against Sydney and Hawthorn. When you think about it, only the West Coast game was a really poor performance (and every team has had one or two of those). This seems to be a team with a lot of character, and they might not make the top 8 this year but I feel more optimistic about the future than I did in 2022.

Bring on the Muts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back