Preview 2023 Round 8 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Saturday, May 6, 7.25PM AEST, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really pleased with the effort and attitude the boys have shown this season. Coming back to win from way behind against Adelaide and then last minute wins against Sydney and Hawthorn. When you think about it, only the West Coast game was a really poor performance (and every team has had one or two of those). This seems to be a team with a lot of character, and they might not make the top 8 this year but I feel more optimistic about the future than I did in 2022.

Bring on the Muts.
Agree with this.

As I said at the time, I feared the effort in the heat of the Crows game was going to drain the guys for the trip west - plus losing 3 top line mids/HBF - and adversely impact that game outcome. Add in losing Wehr in the second quarter. But as you say, apart from that game (and even then, the boys fought back to par the third & fourth quarters) there's a lot more to be optimistic about.

Agree with this.

As I said at the time, I feared the effort in the heat of the Crows game was going to drain the guys for the trip west - plus losing 3 top line mids/HBF - and adversely impact that game outcome. Add in losing Wehr in the second quarter. But as you say, apart from that game (and even then, the boys fought back to par the third & fourth quarters) there's a lot more to be optimistic about.
Absolutely this ^

The other thing is we can score after half time this year …. Last year we just faded out and couldn’t kick a winning score when we had games on the line

Certainly not expecting a win this week. Dogs are strong across the park. A fair bit more experienced than our boys. Just hoping to see more of the effort we’ve been showing.
Ash across half back was responsible for two goals directly from really poor kicks. I really think if we can give him a bit less responsibility it will help his development, as well as our performance. I’m not saying drop him… it’s just you can sense his fatigue and decision making decline in game. Use Cumming and Whitfield a bit more and ease the load on him some more.

Team:
Cumming Keeffe Haynes
Whitfield Buckley Idun
Callaghan Perryman Angwin
Greene HH Kelly
Daniels Hogan Bedford
Flynn Cogs Green

Ash Ward Brown XOH

Really pleased with the effort and attitude the boys have shown this season. Coming back to win from way behind against Adelaide and then last minute wins against Sydney and Hawthorn. When you think about it, only the West Coast game was a really poor performance (and every team has had one or two of those). This seems to be a team with a lot of character, and they might not make the top 8 this year but I feel more optimistic about the future than I did in 2022.

Bring on the Muts.
And even against West Coast we won 3 of the 4 quarters.

Certainly not expecting a win this week. Dogs are strong across the park. A fair bit more experienced than our boys. Just hoping to see more of the effort we’ve been showing.
Ash across half back was responsible for two goals directly from really poor kicks. I really think if we can give him a bit less responsibility it will help his development, as well as our performance. I’m not saying drop him… it’s just you can sense his fatigue and decision making decline in game. Use Cumming and Whitfield a bit more and ease the load on him some more.
I think Ash is becoming a bit of a whipping boy. He does a lot of things really well for us and its easy to forget he is 21. If you compare his to players in Sydney who play a similar role such as Blakey or Florent, he is waaaaay ahead of them in some pretty important areas. In that comparison he is significantly better in meters gained, rebound 50's, disposal efficiency, score involvements and effective disposals.

I think people are seeing a couple of clangers hurt us and not looking at what he is doing well for us

I cant see many changes this week. I would suggest we are a bit short in the backline but I am unsure if Keefe or Davis can realistically come in to cover. Ward deserves to play but Peatline probably doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Wars for Peatling seems the unlucky outcome though.

That said, I think we are in for a touch up. Dogs have too much strength in that midfield and we don't generate enough scoring opportunities with ours.

I cant see many changes this week. I would suggest we are a bit short in the backline but I am unsure if Keefe or Davis can realistically come in to cover. Ward deserves to play but Peatline probably doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Wars for Peatling seems the unlucky outcome though.

That said, I think we are in for a touch up. Dogs have too much strength in that midfield and we don't generate enough scoring opportunities with ours.
Keefe is a test on his thumb so likely available but Brown did a good job on a player he was giving up 10 cm to last week.
Just depends if our guys show up and run on top of the ground.
Finn and Angwin will have big jobs keeping up with their wing opponents and damaging the other way.
They are stacked....that's for sure.
Idun on Weightman I reckon.
Buckley to Naughton
Brown to Jamara

If it's as dewy as Canberra can often be after dark I think that could help.

I think our Mids can keep up but it'll be a challenge.

I'm in the "I think we are short in defence" mindset, but uncertain that Keeffe is the best solution to that. Whatever we do, it will be hopes and fingers crossed for a good outcome.

We need Dogs to be a bit off, and our boys to be 100% on for 4 quarters. Goalshooting like last weekend a necessity too.

I think Ash is becoming a bit of a whipping boy. He does a lot of things really well for us and its easy to forget he is 21. If you compare his to players in Sydney who play a similar role such as Blakey or Florent, he is waaaaay ahead of them in some pretty important areas. In that comparison he is significantly better in meters gained, rebound 50's, disposal efficiency, score involvements and effective disposals.

I think people are seeing a couple of clangers hurt us and not looking at what he is doing well for us
Couldn't agree more - I think the direction and way we want to play through the corridor really means he exposes himself to that. He has one of the more important roles in initiating the chain so its understandable why he might get caught up in it more than others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keefe is a test on his thumb so likely available but Brown did a good job on a player he was giving up 10 cm to last week.
Just depends if our guys show up and run on top of the ground.
Finn and Angwin will have big jobs keeping up with their wing opponents and damaging the other way.
They are stacked....that's for sure.
Idun on Weightman I reckon.
Buckley to Naughton
Brown to Jamara

If it's as dewy as Canberra can often be after dark I think that could help.

I think our Mids can keep up but it'll be a challenge.
Huge one there is Lobb. I think he is too big for Haynes.

I don't mind the other match ups but I might swap the Brown/Idun match up personally

I really think this comes down to our pressure. If they have pressured forward entries I think we are a chance down back. If they have a free go, then their height will be too hard to stop

Agree, we asking a lot of him with game style, he is doing a lot of difficult things which will lead to some turn overs and errors. He is almost making a stack of impact, I think he is coming along nicely.

Buckley - Lobb
Brown - JuH
Idun - Naughton
Cumming - weightman
Haynes 3rd man up

Our backs are in form so back them in against the dogs. Apart from lobbs height we have good matchups.

Don’t think they are far ahead in the midfield. Our 4 main mids are A-grade and can match it with most in the comp plus are all in really good form.

Given the height of the Dogs forward line it probably does make sense for Keeffe to come in this week and play on Lobb. Possibly at the expense of Cal Brown (who was really good) or a smaller player - just a horses for courses thing. Naughton is their best forward so Buckley is the best match-up there.

Buckley - Lobb
Brown - JuH
Idun - Naughton
Cumming - weightman
Haynes 3rd man up

Our backs are in form so back them in against the dogs. Apart from lobbs height we have good matchups.

Don’t think they are far ahead in the midfield. Our 4 main mids are A-grade and can match it with most in the comp plus are all in really good form.
Idun usually plays on the smalls. I think we will line up on Weightman.

If we don't add another tall, then I think we would want to (mainly) send Buckley to Naughton - their best forward, probably Brown to JUH - he's mobile enough to keep with JUH, and Haynes to Lobb - the ol' Lobster's not the most mobile, so Haynes hopefully can push off him to get to the drop of the ball first. I'd agree with Idun likely to Weightman; Idun to Naughton for me would be problematic.

English and Lobb might be an issue for us in this one. If we had Taylor I'd be feeling alright.
I don't think Brown deserves to lose his spot but Keefe feels like a better option against Lobb.
I think Haynes could take JUH if we were to switch it up.
Or do you go Brown on Naughton because he has the pace.
Buckley to Lobb
Haynes on JUH

Some stats on Jack Buckley's season to date:

Tackles = 21, Elite (#1 for KPD)
Pressure acts = 70, Elite (#1 for KPD)
Spoils = 55, Above average (#3 for KPD)
Contested defensive 1-on-1s = 38, Elite (#1 for KPD)
Contested defensive 1-on1 loss% = 18.4% (#9 for KPDs with >10 CDL 1-on-1s)

He's equal 21st for KPD intercepts, rated average for intercept marks, and below average for contested marks. So, marking isn't his game (that's Sam Taylor's!), but the tackling/spoils/pressure is, which is why he's such a great combination with big Sam.

He's going to need all of those skills for the Bulldogs game against Naughton, JUH & co.

Coach's comments perhaps an indicator of no changes in the backline?

Keeping the Bulldogs' tall forward brigade in check will be a challenge especially in the absence of All-Australian defender Sam Taylor.

But while it was said last season by interim coach Mark McVeigh that the GIANTS would be in far deeper trouble without Taylor, his absence has been alleviated by the return of Jack Buckley and form reversal of Nick Haynes.

"'Bucks' has been terrific for us, Haynes is back to some of his best form which is great," Kingsley said.

"Callum Brown came in on the weekend for Sam (Taylor) and performed really well so I think we've got a solid group of backline players as opposed to just relying on Sam and I think we're defending as a team rather than just relying on individual players."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back