Autopsy 2023 Round 8 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Saturday, May 6, 7.25PM AEST, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingsley’s post match conference. Unhappy as expected with letting the games slip away, and made no excuses due to Toby’s absences. Unhappy with the 3rd quarter fade-outs. However, thinks we are “really close” to turning it around. Good news is that he expects Toby to play next week.

Last edited:

Another game of "almost". Yes, Bont was superb (and that's two games - Carlton & now Dogs - where we've let a known clearance king get away too easily), but despite our flaws we were there and there abouts for much of the match. Third quarter (again) a fadeout that cost us dearly - but we were 0.5 with 3 hitting the post against 4.2, and had that been 3.2 we would have been closer for a fourth quarter assault. As they say, bad kicking is bad football, but just to put it into perspective.

Add in that our best tall defender and best goal-kicking forward were out, plus the usual pro-Dogs umpiring, and there's the difference.

Apart from the last item, that's incremental improvement that can be made across multiple areas. We do need to find more routes to score goals, so we're not reliant on Toby and Jesse. I thought Lloyd was solid last night, presented as an option multiple times without always being used. Bedford was good around the field, but we need him to have an influence kicking goals. Binga was strangely anonymous last night, which didn't help.

In defence, we'd also hope for Aleer to get back from injury - putting him into the defensive equation rather than Brown would have helped the tall defence (that gave up 6 goals, and which IMHO was short a tall defender to prevent that). Otherwise, some gameplan development (why are we letting Cripps and Bont run riot?, why do we let opposition teams kick out from defence to unmarked/unpressured players?) and continued development of our young players will help. Cadman didn't get a lot of opportunity - I'm not too fussed, he's young and developing, but I do wonder if having dragged him early twice we might send him back to VFL to consolidate what he's learned in AFL, and perhaps reward Gruzewski with a debut?

Cadman didn't get a lot of opportunity - I'm not too fussed, he's young and developing, but I do wonder if having dragged him early twice we might send him back to VFL to consolidate what he's learned in AFL, and perhaps reward Gruzewski with a debut?

I'd hope we give Derksen a go first. He could also allow Himmelberg to go down back and act as a second cut-out for Flynn. It's always a balance between developing and not over-using young players and the pressure to win. Confident the new coaching panel have a handle on this.

We looked far better when Himmelberg went to Ruck in that last qtr. Think Flynn might get a test this week and bring in Derkson and Harry to ruck.

Listening to all the footy talk the Bont getting all the hype about this match. But what about Tom Green? 38 possessions, 3 goals, 9 tackles are ridiculous stats. He really carried us in that 4th qtr. He is in the top group of players this season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We looked far better when Himmelberg went to Ruck in that last qtr. Think Flynn might get a test this week and bring in Derkson and Harry to ruck.

Listening to all the footy talk the Bont getting all the hype about this match. But what about Tom Green? 38 possessions, 3 goals, 9 tackles are ridiculous stats. He really carried us in that 4th qtr. He is in the top group of players this season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Also I think in Kingsley’s post match interview, he did moot HH helping out in the ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really felt like our ball use just us down throughout the whole game, too often we just weren't able to connect with each other around the ground when we needed to and hit the scoreboard as well. A lot of the key stats were in our favour which is a good sign of steady underlying performance but just couldn't put it together.
+15 int. possessions
+22 ground ball gets
+11 inside 50s
+8 tackles
Only a 46% retention rate going inside 50 just didn't lead to some high quality scoring opportunities.
  • Tom Green is REALLY taking the leap forward this year, now not often is he going to kick 3 goals in a game but for him to go head to head with Bont and look as good as he does is super special, build everything around him and Taylor and figure out the rest later. Whatever stat you want to look at he had it in spades last night, 3 goals, 9 tackles, 8 clearances, 10 score involvements, 634 metres gained, 14 contested, 38 disposals, superstar performance
  • Perryman was quiet offensively lead us for pressure acts and chipped in 9 contested possessions but we need more from him offensively
  • Cogs had an almost night and did pretty much everything right but just couldn't finish his work, nearly kicked 2 rippers but both just off target
  • I Really like the look of HH in the ruck, definitely something I want to see more of moving forward, he has such an athleticism advantage over pretty much every ruck that he uses that to his advantage
  • Think Peatling needs to be in the 22, his energy and activity is important works well with the other smalls, someone that always picks up plenty of score involvements from few touches
  • Liked Ash's game, thought he used it well and decision making was sound for the most part, he can be a really good kick of the footy when everything is pointed in the right direction and he's making good decisions, seems to be more aggressive as a runner this year as well which has been nice
  • 3 touches for Cadman he's probably due for a spell in the 2s, nearly all key forwards in their first year are bad so nothing to worry about. Just don't think it's great for his development for him to be getting 3 touches and then eventually subbed off. Gruzewski and Derksen are both good options in the 2s.
Tough part of the schedule coming up, going to be a tough month but will be good to see how we stack up against some of the best teams.

• Perryman was quiet offensively lead us for pressure acts and chipped in 9 contested possessions but we need more from him offensively
We were seated just to the right of the team dugout, and so the players did their sideline runs down and back in front of us. Perryman didn't look 100%, just seemed a touch tentative when he was doing so. Maybe I'm just seeing something that wasn't there, but maybe he had just a slight niggle that took his game down 2-3% on normal.

Fox’s wrap up of the round - praise for Tom Green and Cadman due for a VFL break.

GWS GIANTS
That’s nine straight losses for the Giants at Manuka Oval. But, again, the Giants were competitive against a strong opposition. Without skipper Toby Greene — a late withdrawal due to an ankle injury — the Giants were wasteful forward of centre in wet conditions, while the sharper Bulldogs skipped out to a 34-point lead in the third term. The Giants launched an launched an unlikely comeback, booting four unanswered goals to reduce the Dogs’ lead to eight points in the last term before two strong marks and goals to Aaron Naughton helped the Bulldogs seal a 15-point win.

In the votes
Tom Green, take a bow. The 22-year-old played with maturity beyond his years against the star-studded Bulldogs midfield, finishing with 38 disposals 14 contested possessions, 10 score involvements, nine clearances and eight clearances. But what was best about Green’s game was his ability to hit the scoreboard. He kicked the Giants’ first goal of the game then kicked two telling goals in the final quarter to give his side a sniff. Josh Kelly had a big night with 34 touches, while Jack Buckley and Connor Idun had 20 intercepts between them.

Room for improvement
That would’ve been a frustrating performance for coach Adam Kingsley. While his side trailed by as much as 34 points in the third term, they had more inside 50s and just as many scoring shots and contested possessions as the Bulldogs, yet couldn’t capitalise on their opportunities. Also, No. 1 pick Aaron Cadman might be due for a spell in the VFL after being subbed out for the second straight week. He had just three disposals and didn’t kick a goal.

Grade
C+

How the coaches saw the player contributions :nerdv1::

Greater Western Sydney v Western Bulldogs​

10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
8 Tom Green (GWS)
6 Tim English (WB)
4 Tom Liberatore (WB)
1 Bailey Smith (WB)
1 Josh Kelly (GWS)

GWS

Stocks up: Tom Green couldn't have done much more against the Dogs, picking up 38 disposals, nine tackles, eight clearances and booting three majors. It was a stunning effort.

Stocks down: There was talk during the week that the Giants would put work into stopping Marcus Bontempelli. We're not sure what that work was, so we'll ask the question: where was the tag? You can't let him roam around and do as he pleases, and GWS have learned that the hard way.

Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne joined SEN’s Sportsday to discuss the five performances from Round 8 which may have been overlooked in the Coaches' votes. Hoyne used Champion Data’s rating system, which values impact above volume and punishes mistakes, to find under-the-radar performances from players.

Jack Buckley (GWS)

“I just wanted to talk about Jack Buckley's game (against the Western Bulldogs) in terms of what he did against Aaron Naughton. That was the eighth best game that we’ve seen by any key defender this year and the highest rated game of his year.

“To put it into context, what he did against one of the more powerful key forwards in the competition, he had 12 spoils and nine intercept possessions. He defused the situation 21 times behind the ball on the weekend, which is an elite performance in terms of what he did.

“He was the fourth highest rated player on the ground. But missed out on getting a coaches’ vote.”

GWS Category B Rookie Jack Buckley has “come from nowhere” to become one of the best key defenders in the competition, according to Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne.

Buckley, who has played 25 career games, has carried a heavy load in defence for the Giants, particularly since Sam Taylor went down with injury in Round 6. Hoyne revealed that the 25-year-old Buckley has competed in 13 more one-on-one contests than another key defender and is rated elite at both winning and halving those contests.

“What he’s been able to do this year, I had a look at his numbers last week and it took me by surprise – I had to sit back and watch him against Aaron Naughton this week and I thought the battle was fantastic to watch in pretty challenging conditions,” Hoyne told SEN’s Sportsday. “What he’s done this year has been phenomenal for a key defender. He’s had the seventh hardest matchups in the competition. He’s been involved in 49 one-on-one contests. To put that in perspective the next most one-on-one contests is 36. He’s been involved with 13 more than any other player. In terms of his ability to win those one-on-one contests, it’s elite. He also doesn’t lose those contests, that’s also rated elite. What he’s been able to do in terms of ball winning and ball-use perspective, he ticks all the boxes."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back