Preview 2023 Round 8 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Saturday, May 6, 7.25PM AEST, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox’s preview of the round. Their burning question is whether we can be cool! :)

Giants’ burning question: Can GWS keep its cool?

The GWS-Bulldogs rivalry is one of modern day footy’s most spiteful, stemming back to the 2016 preliminary final thriller that sent the Dogs on their way to the flag. But arguments could be made that the bad blood between the clubs stemmed further to the controversial Callan Ward recruitment or the Tom Boyd trade. Either way, clashes between these two clubs are sure to get fiery. But as we saw when the Bulldogs went to Perth and touched up a Fremantle side too focused on trying to bait former teammate Rory Lobb, distractions can throw a side off their game. The Giants will have to keep their cool if they are to upset a Bulldogs outfit that is quietly building.

Fox’s preview of the round. Their burning question is whether we can be cool! :)

Giants’ burning question: Can GWS keep its cool?
Yeah. I recall one of the previous Manuka games when GWS sent Haynes to the coin toss, a game after Bont had hit Haynes in the throat. Definitely needed to focus on playing not fighting!

Yeah. I recall one of the previous Manuka games when GWS sent Haynes to the coin toss, a game after Bont had hit Haynes in the throat. Definitely needed to focus on playing not fighting!
After the Swans, Bulldogs would be our next biggest rivalry. In fact, I dislike them more as I thought 2016 should have been our premiership year- beat the Bulldogs and we would have beaten the Swans in the GF, given how we had destroyed them a fortnight earlier. I was there for the 2016 Preliminary, and the way the umpires and Bulldog fans carried on was disgraceful. A what if sliding doors moment for our club.

Flynn has been playing well, but how does he stack up against a fully fit Preuss? I rate Preuss and thought he was our number 1 ruck before his injury. Note that the contract of both Flynn and Preuss expire this year.
Similar to Angwin/Lloyd/Wehr on the wing I’d say they are all line and the position in the best 22 belongs to the incumbent.

I would have had Preus ahead prior to the season but Flynn getting continuity with the mids and being serviceable means it’s his to lose.

Do you guys think Perryman will tag bont?
IMO hard to say, Kingsley hasn't used a hard tag yet
Probably not a hard tag, but possibly a run with.
Just as likely to have Cogs go head to head

Similar to Angwin/Lloyd/Wehr on the wing I’d say they are all line and the position in the best 22 belongs to the incumbent.

I would have had Preus ahead prior to the season but Flynn getting continuity with the mids and being serviceable means it’s his to lose.
I would put Preuss ahead of Flynn.

Don't get me wrong, Flynn's been pretty good. But the fact is that we've been getting smashed in clearances and contested ball, especially at centre bounces. That was particularly evident vs the Swans.

I think Preuss' sheer size and physicality might go some of the way towards turning that around. In my opinion he needs to come straight in for Flynn when able.

Also Flynn could probably use a bit of a rest at this point.

I would put Preuss ahead of Flynn.

Don't get me wrong, Flynn's been pretty good. But the fact is that we've been getting smashed in clearances and contested ball, especially at centre bounces. That was particularly evident vs the Swans.

I think Preuss' sheer size and physicality might go some of the way towards turning that around. In my opinion he needs to come straight in for Flynn when able.

Also Flynn could probably use a bit of a rest at this point.
Collingwood are proving that a ruck has such a little impact on those clearances if the midfield unit are on

They are targeting Toby and we are targeting the Bont. Interesting stat in the article is that all our games this year have been decided within a margin of 21 points - last year we lost 10 games by at least 30 points

Preuss is our best ruck, he’ll be welcomed back.
Reckon Ash/Perryman/Cogs to run with Bont. A hard tag needs to be made!

Hope AK has stern words to the Umps pregame to watch for the throws the Dogs make and to give us a fair go

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Preuss is our best ruck, he’ll be welcomed back.
Reckon Ash/Perryman/Cogs to run with Bont. A hard tag needs to be made!

Hope AK has stern words to the Umps pregame to watch for the throws the Dogs make and to give us a fair go

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep and some teams really playing for frees… the Lions did it a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello Giants friends.

Is anyone aware of any soreness to Toby after training today? Reading on our board that Barrett has suggested he may not play.

Eh, that's the one thing neither Bulldogs players nor fans would be!

:(
I’m sure you can understand I used to have a dislike for Toby, but he sits comfortably in the Buddy Franklin, Dustin Martin and Ablett Jnr category for me, not in terms of his overall career or skill - not many are at that standard, but I simply have to see him play the game because he’s so good.

Our clearance work was no better with preuss in the side than what Flynn is producing currently. He should have more impact but it doesn’t turn out that way.

I think Flynn is an average ruck at best but unfortunately Preuss hasn’t been able to stay on the park and his output hasnt been spectacular when he has

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back