Injury 2023 St Kilda Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Its interesting (and good) that Hayes has a real battle on his hands to displace Caminiti/Membrey. Much like Hotton/Byrnes and Jones etc.

I know at the start of the season i assumed Coff, Hayes and Jones would walk into our best 22 when fit, now i think they all spend time at Sandy and potentially dont get back in pending injuries as others have progressed.

Good problem to have,

I remember reading before and after the draft some people (non Saints fans) thought Hotton could go top 20. I’m very interested to see how he goes.

he looked good late and seemed to be pushing towards the end of the first round start of the second round picks range. He had a really good championships game where he kicked goals and got big possession numbers. It was a bit of luck that he lasted so long.

he looked good late and seemed to be pushing towards the end of the first round start of the second round picks range. He had a really good championships game where he kicked goals and got big possession numbers. It was a bit of luck that he lasted so long.
I think i said at draft time that we had so much upside.

Pou was a genuine slider, if hes 3 months younger hes probably pick 2 behind Harley Reid this year. Hottons and Van Es seem safe, in a good way, for the numbers they got taken they should both play 100-200 solid games of footy and then Keeler could be anything (including a total bust).

I am as critical as anyone of our drafting (ill never forgive the McCartin decision) but this year, even if it fails, i can see what we were doing.

Pou was a genuine slider, if hes 3 months younger hes probably pick 2 behind Harley Reid this year. Hottons and Van Es seem safe, in a good way, for the numbers they got taken they should both play 100-200 solid games of footy and then Keeler could be anything (including a total bust).

I am as critical as anyone of our drafting (ill never forgive the McCartin decision) but this year, even if it fails, i can see what we were doing.

Keeler was a real gamble pick but the upside is huge if he comes off. All of them have enormous potential. Toce has been good so far.

Keeler was a real gamble pick but the upside is huge if he comes off. All of them have enormous potential. Toce has been good so far.
No doubt we will critique it in years to come but we won last years draft by a margin IMO (obviously excluding Brisbane who got the best player with junk picks).

It may not pan out (i had Billings ahead of Bont in that year and Tambling ahead of Buddy in that year) but based on the formlines we saw and what we had we did great.

Even if Keeler never plays a game he was pick 40 something.

Last edited:

When you add it to the previous year there's some serious talent coming through.

Draft pick #44 hardly a gamble.
People had him potentially a late teens or early twenties pick.

Around the pick 44 mark its a bit hit or miss any year.
Sam Crocker
Jimmy Webster
Brody Murdoch
Jack Lonie
Brandon White
Josh Battle
Ben Paton
Jack Bytel
Tom Highmore

Draft pick #44 hardly a gamble.
People had him potentially a late teens or early twenties pick.

Around the pick 44 mark its a bit hit or miss any year.
Sam Crocker
Jimmy Webster
Brody Murdoch
Jack Lonie
Brandon White
Josh Battle
Ben Paton
Jack Bytel
Tom Highmore

There is a gamble there because he has some high potential but also some question marks. Using our past throwing away of draft picks isn't evidence of good management. Collingwood and others seem to find good picks right through the drafts. We should be getting the occasional surprise packet from outside the first round as well as nailing high picks.

There is a gamble there because he has some high potential but also some question marks. Using our past throwing away of draft picks isn't evidence of good management. Collingwood and others seem to find good picks right through the drafts. We should be getting the occasional surprise packet from outside the first round as well as nailing high picks.
Low cost high reward is hardly a gamble tbh. If anything it’s the opposite. Anyways back to Hotton. I was even hoping we’d trade up for him but didn’t need to. Reminds me of Shey cross Sidebottom. Just love the way he goes about it. Great speed and power.

Low cost high reward is hardly a gamble tbh. If anything it’s the opposite. Anyways back to Hotton. I was even hoping we’d trade up for him but didn’t need to. Reminds me of Shey cross Sidebottom. Just love the way he goes about it. Great speed and power.

Isn't that the definition of a gamble though. Chuck in a small amount hoping for a big return? Every pick should be a well considered transaction but sliders like those guys seem almost like fate when they get through.

Picks that late are either risky types, or totally bland types.
No such thing as a sure thing in the 40s.

Isn't that the definition of a gamble though. Chuck in a small amount hoping for a big return? Every pick should be a well considered transaction but sliders like those guys seem almost like fate when they get through.

Its risky if you bet your house.
Throwing your spare change in is just a flutter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picks that late are either risky types, or totally bland types.
No such thing as a sure thing in the 40s.

They have question marks at that range but plenty of good players went in that range. Guys like Caleb Daniel that are short, or lower production high skilled types that project into something better, tall backs like Petty etc. Once you get outside the 40s though you are just throwing darts.

Pick in the mid 40's is a low gamble. Like a multi for King to kick 1 goal and Sinclair to get 25 disposals.

King ends up with 0.5...

Be interesting to see how Coffield goes having spent the best part of 2 seasons injured.
Yep it will. I'm hoping he comes good, but we can't be avoiding players on the assumption that he'll slot into the best 22. It's a long time out of the game for someone who hadn't fully established himself.

You can’t be serious surely . De listing a top ten draft pick who actually showed fantastic potential because he’s been injured for two years, so we can pick up an additional player with pick 50 or 60 ??

They'll probably give him another year but his body is looking like it's made of glass at the moment.

They'll probably give him another year but his body is looking like it's made of glass at the moment.
Agree - was looking fantastic preseason and super fit. Very disappointed for Coff how it’s gone in 2023 so far.

A very good size and can play multiple positions I think. Would love him to have the opportunity to go to work under RTB and Enright.

Really hope he gets another year - just needs a bit of luck!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back