Injury 2023 St Kilda Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the sarcasm - he won an Anzac Day Medal and was seriously flawed at junior & AFL levels. Absolutely nothing like Hotton & McLennan.

Yeah I don't know anything about either of them but I don't generally rate a big underage performance as meaning too much at AFL level. As an example the TAC Medallists (BOG in the TAC Cup Grand Final) have a pretty mixed record at AFL level:

2022: Will Ashcroft
2021: -
2020: -
2019: Matt Rowell
2018: Matt Rowell
2017: Gryan Miers
2016: Andrew McGrath
2015: Kade Answerth
2014: Toby McLean
2013: Ben Cavarra
2012: Jack Macrae
2011: Jack Viney
2010: Mitch Wallis
2009: Jake Melksham
2008: Steele Sidebottom
2007: Ashley Arrowsmith
2006: Dean Kelly
2005: Dale Thomas
2004: Jesse Smith
2003: Brock McLean
2002: Stephen Dinnell
2001: Jordan Barham
2000: Amon Buchanan
1999: Dylan Smith
1998: Michael Stevens
1997: Adam Goodes
1996: Matthew Harrison
1995: Brent Harvey
1994: Anthony Rocca
1993: Shannon Grant
1992: Daniel Fletcher

Some very good players there and some less exciting at AFL level. I'm just not convinced it tells you that much tbh.

How are Hayes and Coffield tracking with their recoveries?

Both listed as 6-8 away. Prospects of both playing senior footy in the back end of the season?
Slim to none.

Yeah I don't know anything about either of them but I don't generally rate a big underage performance as meaning too much at AFL level. As an example the TAC Medallists (BOG in the TAC Cup Grand Final) have a pretty mixed record at AFL level:

2022: Will Ashcroft
2021: -
2020: -
2019: Matt Rowell
2018: Matt Rowell
2017: Gryan Miers
2016: Andrew McGrath
2015: Kade Answerth
2014: Toby McLean
2013: Ben Cavarra
2012: Jack Macrae
2011: Jack Viney
2010: Mitch Wallis
2009: Jake Melksham
2008: Steele Sidebottom
2007: Ashley Arrowsmith
2006: Dean Kelly
2005: Dale Thomas
2004: Jesse Smith
2003: Brock McLean
2002: Stephen Dinnell
2001: Jordan Barham
2000: Amon Buchanan
1999: Dylan Smith
1998: Michael Stevens
1997: Adam Goodes
1996: Matthew Harrison
1995: Brent Harvey
1994: Anthony Rocca
1993: Shannon Grant
1992: Daniel Fletcher

Some very good players there and some less exciting at AFL level. I'm just not convinced it tells you that much tbh.

Have your read the list you compiled 95% have had excellent AFL careers won AFL/VFL grand finals and even multiple Brownlows. I dont understand your unnecessary negativity?

Have your read the list you compiled 95% have had excellent AFL careers won AFL/VFL grand finals and even multiple Brownlows. I dont understand your unnecessary negativity?

After 20 years on Saints forums of various stripes, I hate seeing kids get talked up before they play a game because then they almost always end up disappointing when they actually have to perform on an AFL field. Not because they're bad players necessarily, but because most 18 year olds are a long way from the finished article, and a significant fraction of them will never be good enough. It's Tom Ledger syndrome; everyone wants him picked and abuses the club for not doing so, then equal numbers throw negativity around when he actually plays.

IMO just let them develop without too many expectations and judge them on what they put out there, not on some random view of "potential".

I see its another 6 to 8 weeks for Jones. I think that's enough to qualify for the LTI list.

So do people think its worth putting him on the LTI injury list so we can at least look at the mid season draft?

I see its another 6 to 8 weeks for Jones. I think that's enough to qualify for the LTI list.

So do people think its worth putting him on the LTI injury list so we can at least look at the mid season draft?

Its probably just a matter if we want a spare experienced player at the time we hit finals.
If a heap were injured and Jones was available its probably better than a rookie from the VFL.

How are Hayes and Coffield tracking with their recoveries?

Both listed as 6-8 away. Prospects of both playing senior footy in the back end of the season?
Which season???

McKenzie has gone backwards, good improvement from Membrey, Jones and Hotton especially. Hayes, Coff, Allison and McLennan the same.

16 May23 May
Matt AllisonPost ByeMatt AllisonPost Bye
Nick Coffield6-8 WeeksNick Coffield6-8 weeks
Jack Hayes7-8 WeeksJack Hayes7-8 weeks
Olli HottonPost ByeOlli Hotton2-3 weeks
Zak Jones6-8 weeksZak Jones4-6 weeks
Dan McKenzie1-2 weeksDan McKenzie2-3 weeks
Angus McLennanPost ByeAngus McLennanPost Bye
Tim Membrey1-2 weeksTim MembreyTest
Mitch Owens1 week
Jack SteeleTestJack SteeleAvailable
Max KingTestMax KingAvailable
Jade GreshamTestJade GreshamAvailable

McKenzie has gone backwards, good improvement from Membrey, Jones and Hotton especially. Hayes, Coff, Allison and McLennan the same.

16 May23 May
Matt AllisonPost ByeMatt AllisonPost Bye
Nick Coffield6-8 WeeksNick Coffield6-8 weeks
Jack Hayes7-8 WeeksJack Hayes7-8 weeks
Olli HottonPost ByeOlli Hotton2-3 weeks
Zak Jones6-8 weeksZak Jones4-6 weeks
Dan McKenzie1-2 weeksDan McKenzie2-3 weeks
Angus McLennanPost ByeAngus McLennanPost Bye
Tim Membrey1-2 weeksTim MembreyTest
Mitch Owens1 week
Jack SteeleTestJack SteeleAvailable
Max KingTestMax KingAvailable
Jade GreshamTestJade GreshamAvailable
Not great re DMac quietly slipping backward by 2 weeks on his timeline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not great re DMac quietly slipping backward by 2 weeks on his timeline.
To be fair, 1 week puts it in the bye round. Makes sense to call it 2. It also seems we don't pinpoint a single week with any of our injuries.

After the extended break he has had, would need significant VFL time before a callup.

Excited to see Hotton play some footy soon.

To be fair, 1 week puts it in the bye round. Makes sense to call it 2. It also seems we don't pinpoint a single week with any of our injuries.

After the extended break he has had, would need significant VFL time before a callup.

Excited to see Hotton play some footy soon.
Yes, I think we can add Hotton to the future midfield group of Owens, Windhager, Phillipou. Really looking forward to seeing him.

You would hope we can get everyone up and playing before the season is finished. The numbers on the injury list and players re-injuring themselves during their rehab has been farcical. I dont know what affect the new guy who replaced Walsh is having, but he had a big job to turn things around.

We forget how good these players can be, but a fully fit Jones, McKenzie, Coffield and Hayes would all be in our best team all things being equal.

So hayes is the same on the 23rd as he was on the 16th?
Yet he is running apparently?

These updates are mostly furph lol
Maybe it's when they will.play afl or vfl rather than when he is available to undertake training

You would hope we can get everyone up and playing before the season is finished. The numbers on the injury list and players re-injuring themselves during their rehab has been farcical. I dont know what affect the new guy who replaced Walsh is having, but he had a big job to turn things around.

We forget how good these players can be, but a fully fit Jones, McKenzie, Coffield and Hayes would all be in our best team all things being equal.
Who do those 4 replace?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back