Injury 2023 St Kilda Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe. We need someone of his toughness in our forward line to help King and Owens.
He wouldve taken it upon himself to deal with Sicily yesterday imo
No way he wouldve stood at chf and put up with that s**t

I cant wait till he is back

Hunter Clark out for 4-6 weeks with an MCL sprain

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was hoping Clark's knee injury was only a minor strain but 4 to 6 weeks is pretty standard for a MCL injury, hopefully it's closer to 4 than 6 weeks.

I guess the one positive is that he copped that injury before the bye and not after it so that's one less game that he will miss.

Gee ... Coffield and Clark, not looking a great outcome from our high first round picks in 2017.

They should both be hitting their ceilings now after 6 seasons in the system.... disappointing.

It can't always be put down to bad luck.
ACL at training for Coff and smashed jaw for Clark is bad luck in my book

Gee ... Coffield and Clark, not looking a great outcome from our high first round picks in 2017.

They should both be hitting their ceilings now after 6 seasons in the system.... disappointing.

It can't always be put down to bad luck.

In Coffield's case it can be put down to a few injuries.
He was pretty much a regular member of the team for 2020/2021. 52 games in total.
An ACL is always a season, and he's had some stuff as he comes back.
What do you put it down as?

Clark is an 80 game player who has been having his best season.
I can't see that he did anything wrong here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two years to return from an ACL, then calf.. presumably on the same leg. Issue points to rehab, probably why our fitness guru moved on.

Theres no argument with anyone that we have had a horror run with injuries.

Busted shoulder and compound fracture of the nose for Hunter as well. All collision injuries, don't know if he could do anything to prevent it apart from maybe attacked the ball more like Fiora or Hill than the way we, as supporters demand.

In Coffield's case it can be put down to a few injuries.
He was pretty much a regular member of the team for 2020/2021. 52 games in total.
An ACL is always a season, and he's had some stuff as he comes back.
What do you put it down as?

Clark is an 80 game player who has been having his best season.
I can't see that he did anything wrong here.

HC 33 of 69 games in 3 years, Coff 42 of 115 in 5 years. Coffield no games since 2021. Coffield probably gets a one year contract and if he breaks down he'd be in trouble. Billings, Jones, Gresham, Hayes, McKenzie have all had multiple years of injury. It makes it hard to get any consistency when your players break down.

It would be worth doing a medical review into what we are doing and see if we have something that is causing them. It may be bad luck but we seem to have it year after year.

Busted shoulder and compound fracture of the nose for Hunter as well. All collision injuries, don't know if he could do anything to prevent it apart from maybe attacked the ball more like Fiora or Hill than the way we, as supporters demand.

There is no doubt Hunter is courageous, but I feel he plays more fatigued than the average and as a result he inadvently puts himself in poor positions. If he was fitter/stronger his reactions would be quicker and he would get himself in and out of these moments with less chance of being exposed to injury. Every sports science guru will state that players are far more exposed to injury when playing fatigued.

As an example look at Hawthorns midfield on the weekend. They are supposedly a bottom 4 side and they simply dont have one mifielder in their side with the lack of physical development of Clark. Will Day is lightly built but extremely quick and lithe in his movement, gets in and out of contests quickly. Hunter tends to linger, he is neither quick nor physically strong so he opens himself up for continued injuries.

The question is Clark is now 24yo and does he have the ability to improve his fitness & strength given his history? I dont believe he does and the club needs to make some tough calls at seasons end. There is no dount Hunter has been reasonable in the midfield this year, but to me he never looks like he is running on top of the ground or about to have a break out game.

Coffield is in a very different position. Prior to doing his knee he had done a mountain of work in the off season and was looking the fittest he had been in his career. Most players recover well from ACL these days, so there is no concerns he can regain that level of fitness again. I have no doubt he will return and become the player we all hoped - I dont feel the same way in regards to Clark.

Last edited:
There is no doubt Hunter is courageous, but I feel he plays more fatigued than the average and as a result he inadvently puts himself in poor positions. If he was fitter/stronger his reactions would be quicker and he would get himself in and out of these moments with less chance of being exposed to injury. Every sports science guru will state that players are far more exposed to injury when playing fatigued.

As an example look at Hawthorns midfield on the weekend. They are supposedly a bottom 4 side and they simply dont have one mifielder in their side with the lack of physical development of Clark. Will Day is lightly built but extremely quick and lithe in his movement, gets in and out of contests quickly. Hunter tends to linger, he is neither quick nor physically strong so he opens himself up for continued injuries.

The question is Clark is now 24yo and does he have the ability to improve his fitness & strength given his history? I dont believe he does and the club needs to make some tough calls at seasons end. There is no dount Hunter has been reasonable in the midfield this year, but to me he never looks like he is running on top of the ground or about to have a break out game.

Coffield is in a very different position. Prior to doing his knee he had done a mountain of work in the off season and was looking the fittest he had been in his career. Most players recover well from ACL these days, so there is no concerns he can regain that level of fitness again. I have no doubt he will return and become the player we all hoped - I dont feel the same way in regards to Clark.

What should he have done?

This?

What should he have done?

This?

Apparently if he was fitter, his jaw would have withstood a blokes shoulder flying through the air, his shoulder would have withstood that if he had of squibbed it, and his nose would have brushed off Doogs' head.

I watched Clark a few times intensely at training, the fittest I have ever seen him, the ground he was covering was phenomenal and his track work running was right up there.
To equate impact injuries with fatigue is ridiculous. The counter ridiculous argument is that he is so fit he got to those collisions earlier than others and if he wasn't so fit he wouldn't have contested. Frankly it is ludicrous to suggest either.

HC 33 of 69 games in 3 years, Coff 42 of 115 in 5 years. Coffield no games since 2021. Coffield probably gets a one year contract and if he breaks down he'd be in trouble. Billings, Jones, Gresham, Hayes, McKenzie have all had multiple years of injury. It makes it hard to get any consistency when your players break down.

It would be worth doing a medical review into what we are doing and see if we have something that is causing them. It may be bad luck but we seem to have it year after year.

Coffs best season was in 2020 when he had a run of games. 2020 was a bit of a kick to kick really when lots of clubs gave up because of the COVID restrictions... it will always have a bit of an asterisk next to it. When he was asked to step up the next year in 2021, his form went away.

He won't play this year, so it will be interesting to see where we go with him next year.

Coffs best season was in 2020 when he had a run of games. 2020 was a bit of a kick to kick really when lots of clubs gave up because of the COVID restrictions... it will always have a bit of an asterisk next to it. When he was asked to step up the next year in 2021, his form went away.

He won't play this year, so it will be interesting to see where we go with him next year.
Coff got a big head after 2020 & was one of the blokes who took Ratts' 'personal responsibility for your fitness' as an opportunity to cut some corners.

He learnt from that had was in ripping shape pre season 2022... then of course did his knee at training.

He's very highly rated at Linton St & they know he's vital to get right.

Suggesting the ups and downs of Coffs form were due to what was going on re Covid is IMO an extraordinary stretch.

Some clubs might have struggled in 2020 due to Covid (only West Coast really comes to mind), but clubs struggle every year for one reason or another, and I don’t think the Bulldogs in that final where Coff was taking intercept mark after mark for instance were playing “kick-to-kick”.

Those who say it was an “asterisk year” seem to conveniently forget that the same team that won 2 other premierships around that time also won it that year, and that other teams that were right up the top in the previous or following year were also up the top that year as well. Eg. Geelong, Brisbane and Port, three that come immediately to mind without looking it up.

My big concern re Coff is that another club like Brisbane will get in his ear and tell him they’ll get his body right and that a change of scenery will do him good, and we’ll lose him for SFA, and he’ll go on to make a couple of AA teams at that club.
💯 this is gonna happen

Suggesting the ups and downs of Coffs form were due to what was going on re Covid is IMO an extraordinary stretch.

Some clubs might have struggled in 2020 due to Covid (only West Coast really comes to mind), but clubs struggle every year for one reason or another, and I don’t think the Bulldogs in that final where Coff was taking intercept mark after mark for instance were playing “kick-to-kick”.

Those who say it was an “asterisk year” seem to conveniently forget that the same team that won 2 other premierships around that time also won it that year, and that other teams that were right up the top in the previous or following year were also up the top that year as well. Eg. Geelong, Brisbane and Port, three that come immediately to mind without looking it up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the club came out in 2021+ through multiple people in power saying that they had mis-read their form in 2020, mis-read the strength of their list and also needed to reset their expectations.

This tells me that the 2020 season (for us) was a complete misnomer. If its not for other teams then you are correct but it was a complete furphy for us. We made decisions based on this year which have been proven to be incorrect and the club has acknowledged that.

I also don't think we should make decisions on players based on the thought that another club may pick them up and prove us to be wrong. The decision needs to come from us alone and our experiences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back