2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be his turn to apologise
Like Kenny with playing Rozee which we all knew was crazy in the Showdown less than a week after doing a hamstring.

There is no selection integrity at the moment, which will impact on our culture, including demotivating players.

They see him as a Key Defender.

Had the perfect chance to let him play the less physical defensive and more attacking role with Worrell out. Get some ball in hand and play an intercept role.

Instead, FB in the SANFL. 19 year old kid slugging it out against men with very little help around him.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
They do not see him as a key defender, Burns said they see him similar to a Birchall role. Good interceptor who can also defend when required.

We dont have a lot of tall players and I genuinely think he walked in and Nicks saw him immediately as a key defender. Screw the reasons as to why we drafted him. In my view it would have been like drafting Rankine and making him play back pocket in the Sanfl to work on his defensive game.

I genuinely think this could be the straw that gets Nicks sacked. Why? Hamish and Co did not fight tooth and nail to draft Curtin, only for him to play deep defence in the Sanfl and be thrown to the wolves in the AFL

I love that Nicks can’t seemingly have any tough conversations with any senior player but he will tell everybody in the football department exactly how it is - no consultation or anything? Nicks not aware of what and why they drafted Curtin - just works in a vacuum

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As someone who didn't see the SANFL match and just relied on this thread to find out what happened, I present a tale in two halfs:

Curtin last defender on Connor McFayden.
Curtin looks horrible in one on one contests. Positions himself terribly. Are we sure he was ever a defender?
Curtin seems bereft of all confidence, that handball was woeful.
Curtin is really struggling defensively even at SANFL level, regardless of what role he ends up playing this has to improve. Given his draft profile is surprises me that he's struggling in this area, so potentially a confidence issue.

Looks like we've pushed Curtin up the ground more this quarter.
Curtin having a good 10 minutes
Curtin generally looks really comfortable playing the ball.
Yep get him around the ball as much as possible.

I hope we use the mid-season to advantage and pick 3 good picks we have available.

I love that Nicks can’t seemingly have any tough conversations with any senior player but he will tell everybody in the football department exactly how it is - no consultation or anything? Nicks not aware of what and why they drafted Curtin - just works in a vacuum

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Never said he isn't aware, but our needs are tall defenders, so Nicks immediately is converting him. So instead of playing him as the running player he is at AFL level he is stuck in the twos trying to learn a position he wasn't drafted to play. Thats my point.

As someone who didn't see the SANFL match and just relied on this thread to find out what happened, I present a tale in two halfs:
Also not seeing the game, this thread is one I look forward too. A little confused re Curtin and thoughts on his best position. The highlights of his National Championship games and subsequent All Aus selection had him prodiminately playing as an intercepting half back flanker ( though he did look handy in a couple of plays up forward ) + a couple of plays out the middle.Based on todays game , is the general consensus , he's still a way off for a recall, particularly as a defender.

Like Kenny with playing Rozee which we all knew was crazy in the Showdown less than a week after doing a hamstring.

There is no selection integrity at the moment, which will impact on our culture, including demotivating players.

I think the players have already switched off.

All players will enter the competition with things they can do and things they can't do

Coaching philosophy determines what you start them with
Blighty started Lance Picioane at the first opportunity

They do not see him as a key defender, Burns said they see him similar to a Birchall role. Good interceptor who can also defend when required.
Why not play him in Worrell's role then?

That is a tough role to learn in the SANFL as the game is different and the kinds of forwards to defend in that third role don't exist in the SANFL.

The intercept role doesn't really exist at that level.

He would learn that role quicker in the AFL.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also not seeing the game, this thread is one I look forward too. A little confused re Curtin and thoughts on his best position. The highlights of his National Championship games and subsequent All Aus selection had him prodiminately playing as an intercepting half back flanker ( though he did look handy in a couple of plays up forward ) + a couple of plays out the middle.Based on todays game , is the general consensus , he's still a way off for a recall, particularly as a defender.

In my opinion he's a way off. I think his initial best position will be half-back, plus the club has talked about him playing half-back. I don't think he's ready to play half-back in the AFL until his work off the ball improves, or he will just be easily exploited by opposition teams. Plus he needs more defensive intensity in general, his efforts in general today are not the sort of thing that is going to get him recalled - giving up on chases, pulling out of tackles etc. Obviously he's very young and there's plenty of time but hopefully he comes on quickly in those areas.

In my opinion he's a way off. I think his initial best position will be half-back, plus the club has talked about him playing half-back. I don't think he's ready to play half-back in the AFL until his work off the ball improves, or he will just be easily exploited by opposition teams. Plus he needs more defensive intensity in general, his efforts in general today are not the sort of thing that is going to get him recalled - giving up on chases, pulling out of tackles etc. Obviously he's very young and there's plenty of time but hopefully he comes on quickly in those areas.
Why does that not surprise me.

Why does that not surprise me.
My point is not necessarily that it's the only position he can play, more that it's the obvious one and until they show some inclination to use him in another role on the field or his defensive work improves I can't see a path to him being recalled. He had a couple of short stints up the ground today but primarily played in a similar role to the one he had in his two AFL games.

The way you describe him makes him sound shit. Why did we draft him at pick 8 if he's woeful defensively and puts in poor efforts?

The way you describe him makes him sound s**t. Why did we draft him at pick 8 if he's woeful defensively and puts in poor efforts?
Because he has massive upside? He's great with the ball in hand, plenty to work with. It's not too strange for a 19 year old tall player to have some things to work on coming in to his first season on an AFL list.

I think the players have already switched off.
Doedee looked like he had stopped caring in his last two seasons here.

Smith, Laird and ROB just going through the motions.

As much as we bag ROB, I wouldn't be surprised if someone poaches him next year. Geelong, Collingwood, Richmond and Melbourne will all be looking for a ruck. He can finish his studies in Melbourne too.

Doedee looked like he had stopped caring in his last two seasons here.

Smith, Laird and ROB just going through the motions.

As much as we bag ROB, I wouldn't be surprised if someone poaches him next year. Geelong, Collingwood, Richmond and Melbourne will all be looking for a ruck. He can finish his studies in Melbourne too.
Robert Redford Nod GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back