Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

It shows what an absolute nightmare it is to get in and out of the SCG more likely.

Yeah maybe a bit of that I remember going to one game at the scg and my local mate struggling to get us outta the car park.

Great crowd, but the swans fans have to be the only ones in the competition that leave early in mass numbers when their own team is thrashing the opposition. It shows the level of theatre goer fans they have, but they are starting to outgrow the scg these days which is good.
I think the heritage listing of the ladies and members stands hold the stadium back in terms of seating capacity and just turning it into something modern and world class.

I think the heritage listing of the ladies and members stands hold the stadium back in terms of seating capacity and just turning it into something modern and world class.

Yeah agree I sat in one of those stands it was tiny and had a wooden pole obstructing my view. I think a 55k stadium would be about right for the swans, they'd have to demolish and rebuild the stand on the wing that the camera faces. I actually like that stand though it's unique.

Surprised that the record is that low. Would have thought that it would easily be broken if they played at the MCG.
For whatever inexplicable reason, Carlton has only ever played the Swans at the MCG twice in history: 2017 and 1981 (h&a). And that 1981 game was South Melbourne home game. One of those fixturing quirks that explains how that record crowd has never been broken.

Last edited:
It shows what an absolute nightmare it is to get in and out of the SCG more likely.
Went there for the first time last year…place looks cool on the inside but so many choke points even inside the stadium and at the gates. Then there’s getting to and from the actual stadium, gave up and got an Uber.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood will create an incredible record this year for crowds against teams from another state.

We still haven't had a home game against a Vic team - our first one will be in Round 12 with our first at the MCG not until King's Birthday.

Despite this we're averaging 61,531 for our home games this season. And now there's only 1 left to go against a non-Vic side - Brisbane in Round 23 at the G. No reason at all to think that won't lift the average further. We're going to smash our record set last year and be about 10k better than any other team ever.

Highest average home crowd v teams from a different state:

1716017878417.png

Forgoing 5 minutes of junk time to save 30-45 minutes on the way home is a no brainer really.
What a load of crap.
Watch your team win, sing the song, clap them off the ground and be happy that they won as you make your way home.

Last edited:
Collingwood will create an incredible record this year for crowds against teams from another state.

We still haven't had a home game against a Vic team - our first one will be in Round 12 with our first at the MCG not until King's Birthday.

Despite this we're averaging 61,531 for our home games this season. And now there's only 1 left to go against a non-Vic side - Brisbane in Round 23 at the G. No reason at all to think that won't lift the average further. We're going to smash our record set last year and be about 10k better than any other team ever.

Highest average home crowd v teams from a different state:

View attachment 1992579
How did Hawthorn 2013-16 compare (not including Tasmania of course)

We had some bizarre schedules where 3 or 4 of the 7 MCG home games were against non Victorian clubs.

Edit: I think our best was 49,889 (from 3 games) in 2016

What a load of crap.
Watch your team win, sing the song, clap them off the ground and be happy that they one as you make your way home.

Yeah i agree, I'm happy to say there would be a small element of that I'm sure (maybe 25 percent of people that park in the car park would take the opportunity to leave early), but half the stadium was empty towards the end there, how bigs the car park anyway, I thought it was small from my memory and is it harder to get out of than say the mcg car park with 60k at a game?

Why isn't the mcg half empty in the last quarter when Collingwood are thrashing a team for example?

People in Sydney don't have the same stay to the end attitude as in the southern states.
Yeah i agree, I'm happy to say there would be a small element of that I'm sure (maybe 25 percent of people that park in the car park would take the opportunity to leave early), but half the stadium was empty towards the end there, how bigs the car park anyway, I thought it was small from my memory and is it harder to get out of than say the mcg car park with 60k at a game?

Why isn't the mcg half empty in the last quarter when Collingwood are thrashing a team for example?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back