Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

54,035 at Optus for Freo vs Collingwood.

View attachment 1999633
Friken sensational - little brother Freo is a big boy now!

It will be interesting to see how the ratings do as well. I expect that the AFL will s*** all over the RL again last night.

BTW what a great shot of the equal best stadium in the nation along with the mighty MCG !.

Last edited:
We can run basic regression statistics in Melbourne crowds. Swans bring roughly a but under third of the crowd generally, keeping in mind they're probably not bringing 20k vs Pies etc.

There'd likely be just short of 7-8k. Which is correct, because the Dogs have not had fewer than 21kish fans to a home game since the flag, and are coming off two wins. Suggesting 10+k Swans suggests only 17k Dogs fans which is just too few.

The lack of empirical evidence offered does not help your case or that offered by others.

As discussed in earlier posts, Sydney don’t bring 17,000 people to Victorian games.
The bright red sticks out in the crowd more than most other teams (only rivalled by the yellow of Richmond and hawthorn) so it looks like there are more swans fans then there actually are.
Sydney brings 10-15k most games at the G and a little less to Marvel.

Sydney also don’t ever outnumber the dogs or North in Melbourne despite Sydney posters claiming they do

Interestingly, The final against Carlton last year was the lowest Sydney turnout I’ve ever seen in Melbourne.

Surely to goodness the AFL has precise numbers on members of swans and hosts. Does not count ga of course.

The colour test argument offered makes me chuckle.

The lack of empirical evidence offered does not help your case or that offered by others.
The empircal evidence of all of the Dogs home crowds in the last 9 years?

Surely to goodness the AFL has precise numbers on members of swans and hosts. Does not count ga of course.

The colour test argument offered makes me chuckle.

Its pretty easy to breakdown. Simply look at the Swans attendances at the MCG and Marvel against all Victorian clubs.

When it comes to the four MCG co-tenants, the Swans attendances against Collingwood (56,275), Hawthorn (44,764), Richmond (38,638) and Melbourne (30,731) since 1997 (at the MCG only) are either equal too, or larger than the low drawing Victorian clubs.

In the case of Collingwood and Hawthorn they are ahead of equivalent home games against NM, WB, StK and even Melbourne at the MCG. Whilst Richmond and Melbourne is level too or just behind NM, WB and StK.

Combine the Swans presence in the biggest market in the country (Sydney) with its Bloods Melbourne base you have one of the, if not the biggest, clubs in the AFL.

Last edited:

To be fair, the Swans attendances (away) against almost every Melbourne club is larger than the WB and NM.

Of course that doesn't show raw numbers of support, just that the away support for the Swans in Melbourne is larger than the smaller Victorian clubs.

But even then, you've got variables like scheduling of matches (is lack of Sunday twilight games) and form…

Its pretty easy to breakdown. Simply look at the Swans attendances at the MCG and Marvel against all Victorian clubs.

When it comes to the four MCG co-tenants, the Swans attendances against Collingwood (56,275), Hawthorn (44,764), Richmond (38,638) and Melbourne (30,731) since 1997 (at the MCG only) are either equal too, or larger than the low drawing Victorian clubs.

In the case of Collingwood and Hawthorn they are ahead of equivalent home games against NM, WB, StK and even Melbourne at the MCG. Whilst Richmond and Melbourne is level too or just behind NM, WB and StK.

Combine the Swans presence in the biggest market in the country (Sydney) with its Bloods Melbourne base you have one of the, if not the biggest, clubs in the AFL.

You've gotta account for the fact the swans are always successful compared to those other clubs though, that makes a big difference.

I do agree the swans are a massive club that just keep getting bigger though. Surely that's a sign to a club like north how successful you can be by relocating and keeping your identity, but in a location that grabs you hundreds of thousands or millions more fans. It's an AFL success story the South Melbourne relocation to Sydney, one that should be emulated for the strength of smaller Vic clubs and the AFL competition at large.

You've gotta account for the fact the swans are always successful compared to those other clubs though, that makes a big difference.

I do agree the swans are a massive club that just keep getting bigger though. Surely that's a sign to a club like north how successful you can be by relocating and keeping your identity, but in a location that grabs you hundreds of thousands or millions more fans. It's an AFL success story the South Melbourne relocation to Sydney, one that should be emulated for the strength of smaller Vic clubs and the AFL competition at large.
Relocation for North? I think that is a horse that has already bolted.

Yes, if North didn’t accept relocation to Gold Coast with all the inducements AFL offered then, they certainly are not going to relocate when they are financially more secure and their constitution has been amended to ensure a significant majority of their membership have to agree.

Dogs members as % of total crowd. Bloods members as % of total crowd.
But only if you have to hand. Does not pick up neutrals and Partisan GAs.

Reckon Sydney and Dogs might be sufficiently interested to share research costs and reward those filling questionnaires with snack vouchers. AFL might co fund.

I am afraid you’re right.

Agree swans games in Melbourne might attract more neutrals or casuals because their relative success make them likely to make a good game of it.

The huge crowd at the G for Rd 1 between the Pies and Swans attracted heaps of Pies fans and a lot of Swans fans. If I was a neutral I would have considered attending.

Thank you everyone who has contributed thoughts and erudite advice.

Can some clubs stop blaming the oppo for poor crowds.
I take offence being a docker vic member(there’s over a thousand of us) I attend all vic games as well as travel to SA to watch freo.
Saints getting 20k to a home game is not because they were playing freo.
It’s because their own fans didn’t show up.

Can some clubs stop blaming the oppo for poor crowds.
I take offence being a docker vic member(there’s over a thousand of us) I attend all vic games as well as travel to SA to watch freo.
Saints getting 20k to a home game is not because they were playing freo.
It’s because their own fans didn’t show up.
The point is that if st Kilda were playing West Coast there would have been an extra 1 or 2 thousand people at the ground.

People mean that Fremantle, Port, GWS and Gold Coast are much lower drawing away teams compared to Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney or West Coast.

Nobody is blaming those clubs though.
That game against freo was always going to draw poorly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point is that if st Kilda were playing West Coast there would have been an extra 1 or 2 thousand people at the ground.

People mean that Fremantle, Port, GWS and Gold Coast are much lower drawing away teams compared to Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney or West Coast.

Nobody is blaming those clubs though.
That game against freo was always going to draw poorly.
But like you said the difference is a couple thousand.
If you add a couple to the 17k that turned up to norths first home game
Or the 19k Saints that turned up to a Saturday night under a roof they are still really poor crowds from “traditional” clubs with 100k membership between them.

Phenomenal really. Form has not been great yet get nearly 40,000 just like that!
yes, it is a great crowd...

But they were 6-4. Thrashed by the best team in the land atm, but won the week before.

Lets not talk as if they were Hawthorn or the Saints.

Phenomenal really. Form has not been great yet get nearly 40,000 just like that!
Unless things go very wrong, that’ll likely be our smallest home crowd of the year. Pretty happy with that. (Port Adelaide at Marvel might be close, but hopefully Friday night factor gets its to 40+).

Unless things go very wrong, that’ll likely be our smallest home crowd of the year. Pretty happy with that. (Port Adelaide at Marvel might be close, but hopefully Friday night factor gets its to 40+).
Yes, the Carlton fans are really up and about this season.

No crowd posted # for the Norf game in today Hobart as yet but it did look like a VFL match = the sooner North Melb and Hawthorn stop playing these matches in Tassmaina and concentrate on buliding the new Tassie team the better for ALL concerned.

They won't be going anywhere. North are staying in Melbourne.

A case of saved by the bell and the massive surge in TV rights revenue.

Of course the viablity of some of these clubs could be tested if advertising revenue sinks as viewership numbers on legacy media falls.

By that stage the AFL will probably be banking on boosting its streaming income…

Yes, the Carlton fans are really up and about this season.

No crowd posted # for the Norf game in today Hobart as yet but it did look like a VFL match = the sooner North Melb and Hawthorn stop playing these matches in Tassmaina and concentrate on buliding the new Tassie team the better for ALL concerned.
But North will have a good few more years in Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back