Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Will respectfully disagree. You don’t spend $340 million to redevelop a regional ground for it to be 75% full when you only play 9 games a year down there.

They should easily be getting 35k every week regardless of who they play and nudge 40k against the two big Victorian clubs that should be sent there every year.
Agree 100% and don't forget most of the funding came from the State govt so all Victorian taxpayers helped to pay for the new stadium which was only 75% full yesterday.
I cannot believe that local Geelong fans have not sold out every match now that the stadium is complete and has an even more cheaper standing room area than before to make to make it easier for people who cannot afford the reserved ticket prices.

And reasonable to assume there was possibly 4-5k neutrals or more casual fans in the ground utilising members rights to see a season defining game. MCG games do get a lumper effect from these games.

That Richmond / Lions game late 2018(?) that drew 78,000.. We aren’t naive enough to think that was just the support of two teams that day. It was probably 15-20k neutrals / casual fans all wanting to see a GF rehearsal and defining game.

Does neutrals include fair weather supporters that don’t really care but align with a team?

15-20K neutrals is massive number.

There may be 20K at a game that may not loose sleep over the result like most of us here, but casually align with a club, but 20k neutrals to a game I’d bigger than most North crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And reasonable to assume there was possibly 4-5k neutrals or more casual fans in the ground utilising members rights to see a season defining game. MCG games do get a lumper effect from these games.

That Richmond / Lions game late 2018(?) that drew 78,000.. We aren’t naive enough to think that was just the support of two teams that day. It was probably 15-20k neutrals / casual fans all wanting to see a GF rehearsal and defining game.

Does neutrals include fair weather supporters that don’t really care but align with a team?

There may be 20K at a game that may not loose sleep over the result like most of us here, but casually align with a club, but 20k neutrals to a game I’d bigger than most North crowds.

20,000 Neutrals was a nonsense number by Dave.
There may have been 35,000 fair weather Richmond supporters/members that day but they are not neutrals.
Doubt there were more than 5k neutrals that day.

Hawthorn v Brisbane at Marvel could be poor! 25,000 is a big win here.
I think it could draw 30k today. It almost should. The Lions will bring about 5,000 of their lot. That means the Hawks brining around 25,000 to its home game. It’s not out of the question. If I had to take a stab I’d say 27-28k. The Hawks have been playing committed footy without winning necessarily so their fans should be sort of happy to go along with their ride.

I think it’s both. But I do think the members reserves would’ve been populated with footy loving Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood fans all looking to see a defining contest.

Richmond and Brisbane have about 7,000 AFL members (capacity 21,000) and similar MCC members (capacity 22,000). It’s reasonably accurate to assume these reserves were busy with all sorts, granted they spilled GA into Q37-39 thst day in the MCC.

I think it’s both. But I do think the members reserves would’ve been populated with footy loving Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood fans all looking to see a defining contest.

Richmond and Brisbane have about 7,000 AFL members (capacity 21,000) and similar MCC members (capacity 22,000). It’s reasonably accurate to assume these reserves were busy with all sorts, granted they spilled GA into Q37-39 thst day in the MCC.

Sorry Dave aint gonna get 20K neutrals to a game. If you said 5-10K fair enough.

That game in 2019 the public reserve was exhausted and AFL were selling into the AFL reserve Q sec due to Richmond and lions fans wanting to get tickets for this match. And as you said also into the MCC members top deck.

Richmond's 3121 members over 2K have access to the AFL reserve.

For big games I use mates barcodes to get extra seats. I know many people who do it. Last night in the AFL reserve thought it was pretty even in support. Tiges have 6K+ members and Bombers by memory have 7.5K

This. I don’t know where this bizarre Geelong bashing is coming from, 30k against the smallest team in the league (both coming off multiple losses) is a very good crowd.

Acting like not reaching 98% capacity is a failure is almost as stupid as people responding with “but where are their ### amount of members?!”
Where I come from is MY taxes helped pay for 90% of the upgragde and the the moment it dosen't seem to be a good investment by the State govt when that money could have been better spent on more important and much needed infrastructure projects for the benefit of ALL Victorians not just a few Geelong supporters - now if the Geelong had paid for the new facilities I would keep my mouth shut!

Sorry Dave aint gonna get 20K neutrals to a game. If you said 5-10K fair enough.

That game in 2019 the public reserve was exhausted and AFL were selling into the AFL reserve Q sec due to Richmond and lions fans wanting to get tickets for this match. And as you said also into the MCC members top deck.

Richmond's 3121 members over 2K have access to the AFL reserve.

For big games I use mates barcodes to get extra seats. I know many people who do it. Last night in the AFL reserve thought it was pretty even in support. Tiges have 6K+ members and Bombers by memory have 7.5K
Yes, perhaps I got a big excited on the 15-20k est. I still think those big encounters with wide interest draw thousands of neutrals. The recent Cats / Blues game another case in point.

Yes, perhaps I got a big excited on the 15-20k est. I still think those big encounters with wide interest draw thousands of neutrals. The recent Cats / Blues game another case in point.

Agree with your assertion and not out of the realm to get up to 10K for certain big games but thought 20K was a bit of a stretch ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Melbourne v Port Power. 4,706. Lowest crowd Port Power have played in front of.
That is an aboslute disgrace for an AFL H&A match on a fine day I suggest that North would get much more at Arden Street

You would wonder why this AFL image destroying farce is allowed to go on by the marketing/business and very experienced Commission gurus at AFL HQ?
The one thing a smart successful compamy does if they have a store/retail outlet going as badly as North is in Tassie is to close them down!

Something interesting in the suns v hawks game, not a massive crowd, but looks big on tv and a great atmosphere because they have put all the fans on the camera facing side of the stadium. Something all smaller games and crowds should do, surely common sense, especially for the expansion teams.

I think it could draw 30k today. It almost should. The Lions will bring about 5,000 of their lot. That means the Hawks brining around 25,000 to its home game. It’s not out of the question. If I had to take a stab I’d say 27-28k. The Hawks have been playing committed footy without winning necessarily so their fans should be sort of happy to go along with their ride.
Something interesting in the suns v hawks game, not a massive crowd, but looks big on tv and a great atmosphere because they have put all the fans on the camera facing side of the stadium. Something all smaller games and crowds should do, surely common sense, especially for the expansion teams.
I agree, but a lot of social media angst about lack of seating. Its a bit dicey to do this for games that I presume is high 20,000’s or even low 30,000’s.

Not a great look for Hawthorn trying to sell Marvel Stadium to their membership if they are herding all their members to the back of level 3 with GA members scrambling to find multiple seats halfway through the first quarter.

They'll definitely need to fix this if Hawthorn play a package of home games at Marvel.

Attachments

• BCD2DAB5-7FB9-4598-9E67-D9E108B703FE.png
    BCD2DAB5-7FB9-4598-9E67-D9E108B703FE.png
    287.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DA391AA1-9508-40DC-AC9A-158CDBDAD020.png
    DA391AA1-9508-40DC-AC9A-158CDBDAD020.png
    231.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Works well for marvel and night games, but usually the opposite side to the camera means the sun is directly in your eyes.

Works well for marvel and night games, but usually the opposite side to the camera means the sun is directly in your eyes.

Yep only for nighttime is it practical, that's one of the reasons the giants and suns don't do it generally, but I also got told by someone high up at the giants they requested to have the cameras moved to the other side and the broadcasters had a sook about cabling and trucks all being on the camera side. They do it for the cricket though with no issues which is interesting.
I agree, but a lot of social media angst about lack of seating. Its a bit dicey to do this for games that I presume is high 20,000’s or even low 30,000’s.

Not a great look for Hawthorn trying to sell Marvel Stadium to their membership if they are herding all their members to the back of level 3 with GA members scrambling to find multiple seats halfway through the first quarter.

They'll definitely need to fix this if Hawthorn play a package of home games at Marvel.

Yeah I can see that being annoying, perhaps a balance would be better then, camera facing side 3/4 of the way up filled and the other quarter of the fans can sit in the other parts. Could just cordon the areas off with that plastic netting to ensure people don't go sitting everywhere.

I saw these too..

I really lack sympathy.

Really helped TV atmosphere and looked much better. Bet the atmosphere up there sounded better too.

When you pay $100 for a GA Membership per year what do you expect.

Wish more clubs did it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back