Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

imo, there should be no need for reserved seating in the general public or AFL Reserve in any games where they are expecting less than 40,000 people.
Let the GA members walk onto level 1 or 4 and sit wherever they like.
Its just the AFL/MCC/Clubs wanting more money.
That's always the issue with increasing membership numbers. Bigger numbers, although many are the pet membership variety, also had led to increasing seat access, even if the rate of bums in seats has not risen at the same rate. It creates a disconnect where you have to accommodate the seats you've sold in theory, as they've paid for the money, even if it's at the loss of the experience of the people who actually show up.

It's not necessarily a good or bad thing. Just how it is. The AFL's ability to extract money from people without a genuine interest in showing up week-to-week is somewhat incredible.

Agree 100% and don't forget most of the funding came from the State govt so all Victorian taxpayers helped to pay for the new stadium which was only 75% full yesterday.
I cannot believe that local Geelong fans have not sold out every match now that the stadium is complete and has an even more cheaper standing room area than before to make to make it easier for people who cannot afford the reserved ticket prices.
You 'can't believe' Geelong didn't draw 40,000 to a GWS game?
Are you aware of how small the population of the city and region is?
Adjusting for, 40,000 at KP is equivalent to a crowd of around 200,000 at Adelaide Oval.

It's taken a bit longer but both South Australian clubs crowds have come back to normal. Port doing well averaging around 38,000 and Adelaide currently averaging nearly 45,000. Despite the last 2 crowds being Adelaide's lowest of the season, considering the time-slot and opposition, probably our best crowds of the year. Port are a bit unlucky this Thursday with the game against Carlton going to be marred by rain. Could have gotten 45,000 without it.

Can we get past the seeming 43k limit for these sold out matches?

The AFL will make a fortune out of Football Record sales as we’ll all have to buy a copy in order to find out who the hell all the vfl players are that we’ll be forced to play.

The most interesting crowd to keep an eye on this week for me is Gold Coast vs Essendon. Could it challenge the record GC home crowd vs Essendon of 17,069 set in 2012?

Despite coming off a loss, GC's home form has been good all year so their fans should have some optimism. Bombers should bring a fair contingent given they're 2nd on the ladder. Not sure how big their fanbase in SE Qld is, but the 'big four' Melbourne teams seem to always do okay up there. Looking at Ticketek, they've opened up a bunch more bays for public tickets than usual which is a good sign too.

On the other hand, rain is forecasted all weekend in Gold Coast. The game is 4pm on a Sunday which would discourage travelling Bombers fans from Vic or elsewhere.

Fingers crossed the rain isn't too bad and we see a solid crowd.

I'm optimistic about the next era of Gold Coast crowds over the next few years. If they can start seeing some success under Dimma on the field, with a highly marketable contingent of solid local GC academy players in the side + the rumoured brand refresh coming next year with a new logo etc. + hopefully some clever fixturing by the AFL (such as big Vic teams in school holidays) I can see some real big growth in their crowd averages coming.

The most interesting crowd to keep an eye on this week for me is Gold Coast vs Essendon. Could it challenge the record GC home crowd vs Essendon of 17,069 set in 2012?

Despite coming off a loss, GC's home form has been good all year so their fans should have some optimism. Bombers should bring a fair contingent given they're 2nd on the ladder. Not sure how big their fanbase in SE Qld is, but the 'big four' Melbourne teams seem to always do okay up there. Looking at Ticketek, they've opened up a bunch more bays for public tickets than usual which is a good sign too.

On the other hand, rain is forecasted all weekend in Gold Coast. The game is 4pm on a Sunday which would discourage travelling Bombers fans from Vic or elsewhere.

I'm optimistic about the next era of Gold Coast crowds over the next few years. If they can start seeing some success under Dimma on the field, with a highly marketable contingent of solid local GC academy players in the side + the rumoured brand refresh coming next year with a new logo etc. + hopefully some clever fixturing by the AFL (such as big Vic teams in school holidays) I can see some real big growth in their crowd averages coming.
The main issue with their crappy away record, they seem to be going into their Home games coming off a loss.
So basically better form is better crowds lol

Im optimistic about their crowds too, especially with Expat Victorians being on the Gold Coast and then in turn getting their kids to barrack for them

Last edited:

This won’t draw as well as it could.

The Bombers have strong support in SEQ. Their crowds at Metricon during that Covid year (against non QLD clubs) were among the largest recorded. The crowd stats would capture this. It’s scheduled for 4pm Sunday, many Bomber fans around Brisbane won’t drive the 80 minutes to GC to see the game as they get home late on a Sunday. It’s not a great slot.

Further, it won’t get all the school holiday families that help pump up these crowds when scheduled during a school holiday weekend.

So, it will probably draw imo 16-17k, just falling short of that previous mark.

Moreover, there’s a groundswell of younger support coming through beneath the surface here on the GC. Once they start winning seriously, they’re crowds will grow and their futures really bright.

Last edited:
The main issue with their crappy away record, they seem to be going into their Home games coming off a loss.
So basically better form is better crowds lol

Im optimistic about their crowds too, especially with Expat Victorians being on the Gold Coast and then in turn getting their kids to barrack for them

If it was Sat twilight rather than Sunday I’d agree a good chance to beat the record v Essendon, I reckon late Sunday it’ll be 13/14 k.

But overall the future is pretty bright for the suns

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty dumb fixturing, could have had a large travelling contingent, but who's gonna fly up and get home midnight Sunday night?

This won’t draw as well as it could.

The Bombers have strong support in SEQ. Their crowds at Metricon during that Covid year (against non QLD clubs) were among the largest recorded. The crowd stats would capture this. It’s scheduled for 4pm Sunday, many Bomber fans around Brisbane won’t drive the 80 minutes to GC to see the game as they get home late on a Sunday. It’s not a great slot.

Further, it won’t get all the school holiday families that help pump up these crowds when scheduled during a school holiday weekend.

So, it will probably draw imo 16-17k, just falling short of that previous mark.

Moreover, there’s a groundswell of younger support coming through beneath the surface here on the GC. Once they start winning seriously, they’re crowds will grow and their futures really bright.
This is about when we will start to see growth, SCG shows you can expect like 15 years of decline before things turn around

Would have been nice to have another MCG game rather than Pies home at Marvel..
Exactly, Pies v Dogs at the home of footy on a Friday night, 70,000+ would have been great!
Let's hope the Dogs can get their second 50,000 at Marvel but with the Pies being the home team, this could be difficult.

You 'can't believe' Geelong didn't draw 40,000 to a GWS game?
Are you aware of how small the population of the city and region is?
Adjusting for, 40,000 at KP is equivalent to a crowd of around 200,000 at Adelaide Oval.
A top 8 clash with a lot at stake for both teams should have ensured of at least a 35k crowd.

King's Birthday nearly sold out in the AFL Members half an hour after going on sale. Already selling the back section of the last 4 bays on the top level.

Essendon/Carlton only a few bays behind and should easily sell out as well.

Big 24 hours in store on Sunday night/Monday afternoon that week.

Edit: Coll/Melb already on standing room at 2:45pm

Last edited:
Essendon Vs Carlton. MCC members.

I think reserved seats went on sale today. From what I can see they’ve sold ~70% of Q level in one day with restricted seating being offered for sale today as well. I’m not a great predictor for the MCC but it’s shaping as a sellout in the MCC Reserve potentially by end of the week.

If you’re planning to go, get tickets asap I’d say.

King's Birthday nearly sold out in the AFL Members half an hour after going on sale. Already selling the back section of the last 4 bays on the top level.

Essendon/Carlton only a few bays behind and should easily sell out as well.

Big 24 hours in store on Sunday night/Monday afternoon that week.
You beat me to these updates!

Essendon Vs Carlton. MCC members.

I think reserved seats went on sale today. From what I can see they’ve sold ~70% of Q level in one day with restricted seating being offered for sale today as well. I’m not a great predictor for the MCC but it’s shaping as a sellout in the MCC Reserve potentially by end of the week.

If you’re planning to go, get tickets asap I’d say.
Is this the biggest Carlton vs Essendon game since the 2011 Elimination final? I cannot remember a game since where both teams are engaged and right up there with finals/flag contention.

Is this the biggest Carlton vs Essendon game since the 2011 Elimination final? I cannot remember a game since where both teams are engaged and right up there with finals/flag contention.
Possibly. I’d say the biggest home and away game since ‘that’ game in 2000(or 2001) that drew 91,000*.

Just shows you how long these clubs have been basket cases that we have to go back to 23 years ago to recall the last genuinely meaningful game that had ramifications for the finals hopes of both teams.

Possibly. I’d say the biggest home and away game since ‘that’ game in 2000(or 2001) that drew 91,000*.

Just shows you how long these clubs have been basket cases that we have to go back to 23 years ago to recall the last genuinely meaningful game that had ramifications for the finals hopes of both teams.

I said to my friend last year that is a blues fan when she said 'you'd be spewing how well we're doing' that 'nuh I'm not actually, I've always thought Essendon will only come good when Carlton do and vice versa, it's been that way my whole life'. Turns out it's happening yet again (if we don't completely bottle the second half of the year that is).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back