News 2024 AFL Fixture Discussion & Questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's lock it in. :D

Heard Lachlan McKirdy say the Giants were keen to lock in Collingwood for the season opener for a few years. Although so were the Swans.

Here to stay? AFL to look at bringing back opening round for future seasons

AFL Executive General Manager of Football Laura Kane was a big fan of Opening Round.

While some critics didn’t like seeing only eight teams play in the first week of the 2024 season, Kane believes that Opening Round was a resounding success as footy was put up in lights in New South Wales and Queensland as the Lions, Suns, Giants and Swans hosted Victorian powerhouses.

While some were uncertain ahead of the round, Kane thinks the footy did the talking with Carlton’s one-point win over Brisbane at the Gabba the highlight.

“I absolutely loved it, there was so much energy and hype,” Kane said on SEN WA Mornings.

“As you said, I think maybe a few people weren't too sure about how it would go, but to have four sellouts and four pretty good games of footy in amongst all of that, it was a great weekend.

“The Brisbane v Carlton game was my highlight, I didn’t quite think we'd see a one-point win at the end there, but the lead changes in the third quarter were remarkable.

“I think we had a slight increase on lead changes across the board, which was good. It just keeps the excitement running through all four quarters.”

Kane considers Opening Round such a success after looking at the AFL’s metrics, with media coverage, attendance and broadcast numbers up in the growth markets of NSW and QLD compared to previous starts to seasons.

The footy boss also thinks that it’s helped drive some hype for Round 1 when all 18 clubs will play which could be the most-attended weekend of AFL ever.

“Everything was up - media, attendance, broadcast,” Kane said.

“But then we've also seen spikes in things like club memberships and corporate hospitality and the hype leading into Round 1 is extraordinary.

“I think we're facing the highest attendance in terms of crowd numbers this weekend coming and everything's up.

“It tells us people are hanging out for footy and are very excited that it's back.”

While we’re only days removed from the round finishing, Kane confirmed that the AFL will potentially look at bringing Opening Round back in future seasons given how much excitement she thinks it added to the start of the campaign.

“We'll look at it,” Kane confirmed.

“I mean, I think if you ask the eight clubs involved today, whether they would do it again next year, they would probably say yes.

“Then I think if you move to the clubs playing in Round 1 with near sold-out games already and probably the highest attended round ever, I think they might also say yes.

“So we'll absolutely review it, debrief … we’re only a couple of days fresh from its conclusion, but we will look at what this model looks like in those two states.

“We'll also look at what it looks like around the country because it's created excitement that we wish we could bottle for the whole year.”

With Opening Round finished, attention turns to Round 1 which kicks off when Carlton and Richmond meet at the MCG on Thursday night.

For reference, anonymous poll of club bosses prior to opening round - ‘Scrap it:’ Club bosses’ huge call on AFL score review system

1710191320300.png

Last edited:

Let's lock it in. :D

Heard Lachlan McKirdy say the Giants were keen to lock in Collingwood for the season opener for a few years. Although so were the Swans.

For reference, anonymous poll of club bosses prior to opening round - ‘Scrap it:’ Club bosses’ huge call on AFL score review system

1710191320300.png
I don't know what the TV ratings were like, but full stadiums in NSW and QLD are more valuable to the game than traditional "home of football" crowds. They will still come out for Round 1.

All that hi-vis stuff :)
My daughter's junior club had a Giants player meet and greet tonight (advertised as 2, but 3 showed up - not sure who of Peatling or Gothard tagged along given I'm sure Briggs was a lock), and there was at least one of the kids getting the high vis signed and a second small girl running around in one as well. Great idea!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The front bar and talking footy on 7 main in Sydney, surely that's not normal?

The Front Bar was on in Sydney around a similar time to now towards end of last season, cannot confirm if it was on earlier in the season as I didn't realise what it was about at the time but got into it towards end of last season.

Talking Footy must be new for 2024 to be on much earlier in Sydney.

According to Wiki Talking Footy up until 2020 was previously on delay in Sydney at Midnight.

2023 AFL Finals Series had it on delay here in Sydney (to my frustration :mad:) at closer to 11pm (from memory) so I never really watched it as it was on too late. Pleased Talking Footy is on earlier now at 10pm :D

The Front Bar was on in Sydney around a similar time to now towards end of last season, cannot confirm if it was on earlier in the season as I didn't realise what it was about at the time but got into it towards end of last season.

Talking Footy must be new for 2024 to be on much earlier in Sydney.

According to Wiki Talking Footy up until 2020 was previously on delay in Sydney at Midnight.

2023 AFL Finals Series had it on delay here in Sydney (to my frustration :mad:) at closer to 11pm (from memory) so I never really watched it as it was on too late. Pleased Talking Footy is on earlier now at 10pm :D

Interesting and that's good news. Talking footy was an old show that was gone for years then brought back towards the end of last year even in Melbourne. It gets played at 10pm Wednesdays here too. I dunno how Tim Watson continues to get a tv gig, I actually like the ch9 footy shows more which there will be 4 of this year. Front bar is good though.

Interesting and that's good news. Talking footy was an old show that was gone for years then brought back towards the end of last year even in Melbourne. It gets played at 10pm Wednesdays here too. I dunno how Tim Watson continues to get a tv gig, I actually like the ch9 footy shows more which there will be 4 of this year. Front bar is good though.

Hope they keep Talking Footy as it's a good sign that they brought it forward after relegating it to a late timeslot in Sydney/Brisbane in the 2023 finals.

I just checked, looks like Footy Classified is on at 11:49pm here on 9Gem. Will keep an eye out if that gets shifted to an earlier timeslot.

Given 9 here is mainly NRL I can't see them bringing the AFL episodes on at an earlier hour but I guess could happen on the non-main channels e.g. 9Gem.

WA looks to be the next cab off the rank for gather round with opening round continuing for us in NSW and Qld.

Western Australia looms as the most likely to make a move to snatch hosting rights from SA, with New South Wales and Queensland appearing set to continue sharing Opening Round after a successful first edition this year.
I assume Canberra will continue to be scheduled an Anzac day game, in that case, to give them a marquee/primetime game. 🙂

Last edited:

THE AFL has informed clubs that it is likely to finalise the fixture times for rounds 16 to 23 in around a month's time.

The League's executive general manager of football Laura Kane spoke to club CEOs on Thursday, where it was relayed that the next round of fixture details is planned to be released around round nine.

However, it's understood the AFL will only release dates through until round 23 in its next batch of confirmed timings and currently plans to leave the final weekend of games in round 24 as a floating fixture.

Story continues in link.

No idea where the best place to put this is but figured this was okay.

Considering flying over for the round 10 clash vs Bulldogs. Think it’ll be a good game, thinking it might even be Ward’s 300th. Haven’t been to Giants stadium before. Question as to seating, out of sections 210 and 238 which is better? Different sides of the ground. $40, seems good. Could go slightly more central seats for $52 or prime for $60 something. Any help would be amazing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back