2024 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

The more prone the better...!
While I'm excited to see the young brigade take over, I would love to see Gaffy have a Renaissance season where he reverts to his gut running wing role picking up 30+ touches but moving the forward and being damaging with them like his AA years. I don't think it is likely at all but he has been such a servant to the club I would hate his last couple of years to taint what has-been an exceptional career.
I think the game has passed him by but still holding some hope he can go out with a bang.

B: Cole Barrass Jones
HB: Duggan McGovern Yeo
C: Hough Kelly Hunt
HF: Long Allen Cripps
F: B Williams Darling Brockman
R: Flynn Ginbey Hewett
I: H Reid Maric Petruccelle Hall
S: Johnston
E: Chesser Witherden J Williams/Bazzo

Is brockman best 22?

I dont think so
With ryan out probably. Cripps will play up the ground in that wing HFF link up role .

Long and brockman playing the forward pressure role .

From hawks supporters when he left his one wood is forward line pressure

While I'm excited to see the young brigade take over, I would love to see Gaffy have a Renaissance season where he reverts to his gut running wing role picking up 30+ touches but moving the forward and being damaging with them like his AA years. I don't think it is likely at all but he has been such a servant to the club I would hate his last couple of years to taint what has-been an exceptional career.
I think the game has passed him by but still holding some hope he can go out with a bang.
Unfortunately I can't erase the 2023 Gaff from the picture...no need for a bang on the way out, just the exit door please, with a big thank you and due respect. A good year in the Wafl for depth? Although, there is a chance he improves if the new game plan somehow synergises with him, in which case exit door end of '24..

Noteworthy because Duffield has been a pretty staunch supporter of Darling and has often written about how he’s under appreciated by some WCE supporters

It’s an interesting view that with Bailey Williams set to spend more time up forward, Darling potentially gets displaced as the 2nd tall if Williams does well pushing him to compete with Waterman and Maric as the third tall

Also assumes that Flynn locks down the no.1 ruck role which isn’t a given by any means (Preseason signs are encouraging though)

This might just be the year Jack Darling’s critics finally get their way.
After spending four seasons underappreciated by many West Coast fans, Eagles veteran Darling may be under pressure to hold his spot to start the 2024 season.

Darling is one of the more curious examples of how AFL fans relate to their players. They develop heroes and villains even in their own beloved team.

Only two people – Shannon Hurn and Dean Cox – have played more games for the club than Darling’s 277. And only two – Josh Kennedy (712) and Peter Sumich (514) – have kicked more goals for the Eagles than Darling’s 510.

But as the performance of West Coast’s 2018 premiership group has dramatically plummeted, Darling has become a whipping boy for frustrated fans who have regularly called for him to be dropped.

In 2024, those fans are a chance of getting their wish.

Despite his fan status, Darling has never previously been that close to the axe. The way the Eagles have structured up meant he was practically a lock as the second tall forward: to Kennedy for more than a decade and then to Oscar Allen last year.

But the Eagles look set to change their structure this season and the domino effect the change is likely to create, combined with Darling’s declining form, means that he is going to need to adapt to hold his position.

The arrival of Matt Flynn to lead the ruck is likely to send last year’s ruckman Bailey Williams to attack as the forward/ruck. How Williams goes in attack will shape the look of the rest of the Eagles’ forward line.

If he struggles, Darling’s ability to play as a second target will be valuable. If Williams thrives, Darling’s role is going to change significantly. The Eagles will need a player who can play the third tall forward role.

And Darling won’t be the only candidate for that role.

Jake Waterman, who has never quite been able to make the case to replace Darling as the second tall in attack, has played successfully in the past as the third. Eagles insiders say Waterman, 25, is in the best shape of his career and appeals as a smart “floater” in attack.

It was a role he played with a degree of success as a youngster early in his career, when he was able to fit in around Kennedy and Darling for the first half of 2018 and again in 2019, before the Eagles opted for a different attacking mix. And mid-season rookie pick Ryan Maric shows a bit and looks to have developed physically over the summer.

Darling has been a great player – a four time leading goalkicker, a 2019 All-Australian and, for many years, the perfect foil to Kennedy in attack. But he is 31 now, has battled significant injury issues in the past two seasons and his own form has suffered along with the team’s.

In 2023, Darling kicked 26 goals from 20 matches. He was goalless four times and kicked a single goal eight times. He managed three goal hauls just twice – against Fremantle in the round three Western Derby and against Adelaide in the last game of the season.

Playing in attack for the Eagles in the past two seasons would not have been easy but, by comparison, Allen last year thrived and kicked 59 goals.

Darling’s broad shoulders and strapping frame somewhat hide what makes him a little more vulnerable: he is just 191 centimetres tall and these days very much an undersized tall forward. He has defied his lack of height to play the role as well as he has.

In 2019, his All Australian year and clearly his best season in the AFL, he kicked 59 goals and at times was more of a focal point in attack than Kennedy.

But when you are that size playing against powerful AFL defenders, the job gets tougher as you age and become less athletically dynamic. The injuries haven’t helped. Darling suffered a significant ankle issue in the run into round one last year, then a broken arm mid-season. There have also been back and rib concerns over the past two seasons.

The other factor that comes into play is the need for coach Adam Simpson to take the list forward and develop younger players.

Few coaches have been stronger defenders of experienced stars than Simpson, who would often trot out the line, “He has credits in the bank,” when he had to defend one of his 2018 premiership group.

It is hard for any player to have credits in the bank when you have won five of your last 45 games and the young players on your list – the ones who can take the club forward – have become the most important.

Simpson is under pressure to show he can transition this list.

Darling may be under pressure to show he remains part of the transition.

Bit of a discussion on senior players under pressure heading into this season

Gaff and Sheed firmly in the gun and to a lesser extent tent Darling

Aligns with what most here are thinking

At the moment I would say they are picking from 26 players for round 1. This isn't what I would pick but what I think Simpson might choose, factoring in that early rounds coaches tend to back in experienced players.

B Cole Barrass Hough
HB Jones McGovern Reid
C Gaff Yeo Hunt
HF Waterman Darling Cripps
F Brockman Allen Long
R Flynn Kelly Duggan
I Gibney B.Williams Witherden Petruccelle
S Cheeser
E Hall Maric Rotham

Forwards : Allen, Darling, Waterman, B.Williams, Long, Brockman, Cripps
It looks tall but the question here can B.Williams become a 2nd tall target inside 50 to help out Allen. I don't think so and certainly I can't see it happening straight away as he will have to grow into the role. So Darling is needed. Maric is the other option but I think Waterman might start as the senior player getting the nod.

Midfield : Gaff + Hunt on the wings and Kelly, Yeo, Duggan, Gibney, Petruccelle, Reid rotating around the ball
So Reid + Gibney rotating from mid to def, Petruccelle rotating fwd with Yeo, Kelly + Duggan as the main mids. Hall could be the other option as a pure mid with Duggan + Yeo used as def/mid rotations with Jones in defence being left out to accommodate it. Going with the senior players on the wings early and Chesser who still looks off the pace working his way into the team.

Defence : Barrass, Mcgovern, Witherden, Hough, Cole, Jones, Reid
Again Reid + Gibney rotating def/mid. Hunt or Duggan could go back which pushes out Jones who is the most likely to get dropped out of this 22. No Bazzo as he is not a good fit alongside Barrass and Mcgovern. Bazzo has poor footskills to be a rebounding 3rd tall and he doesn't have the mobility or lockdown skills of Schofield to play on a range of fwds which a lot of the times will be smaller players. Therefore Witherden or Rotham should play. Rotham's ability to play short ruck stints could actually see him get in the team though his preseason injury might hold him back early.

At the moment I would say they are picking from 26 players for round 1. This isn't what I would pick but what I think Simpson might choose, factoring in that early rounds coaches tend to back in experienced players.

B Cole Barrass Hough
HB Jones McGovern Reid
C Gaff Yeo Hunt
F Brockman Allen Long
R Flynn Kelly Duggan
S Cheeser
E Hall Maric Rotham

It looks tall but the question here can B.Williams become a 2nd tall target inside 50 to help out Allen. I don't think so and certainly I can't see it happening straight away as he will have to grow into the role. So Darling is needed. Maric is the other option but I think Waterman might start as the senior player getting the nod.

Midfield : Gaff + Hunt on the wings and Kelly, Yeo, Duggan, Gibney, Petruccelle, Reid rotating around the ball
So Reid + Gibney rotating from mid to def, Petruccelle rotating fwd with Yeo, Kelly + Duggan as the main mids. Hall could be the other option as a pure mid with Duggan + Yeo used as def/mid rotations with Jones in defence being left out to accommodate it. Going with the senior players on the wings early and Chesser who still looks off the pace working his way into the team.

Again Reid + Gibney rotating def/mid. Hunt or Duggan could go back which pushes out Jones who is the most likely to get dropped out of this 22. No Bazzo as he is not a good fit alongside Barrass and Mcgovern. Bazzo has poor footskills to be a rebounding 3rd tall and he doesn't have the mobility or lockdown skills of Schofield to play on a range of fwds which a lot of the times will be smaller players. Therefore Witherden or Rotham should play. Rotham's ability to play short ruck stints could actually see him get in the team though his preseason injury might hold him back early.

That’s a fair assessment

Ryan and Hewett are both best 22 when they become available. Whenever that might be

Sheed probably is as well, at least in the club’s view, but it’s unlikely he’s ready for R1

Bazzo into the 26 to replace Rotham mainly because he’ll be pushing for R1 after sitting out a month of training

Gaff and Petruccelle the most vulnerable in that 22

Duggan said Luke Edwards has been rotating with he and Reid in matchsim so he’ll be a chance for R1 in place of perhaps Chesser

It’s not long until the games to determine R1 selection kick off

Some time between now and Feb 24 when we play a scratchie against Freo there’ll be a full intraclub

Than the Fremantle hitout. The corresponding game we played against Adelaide last year comprised 6 quarters with every fit player on the list getting a run at some stage

We then travel to play Adelaide on March 2 in the only official preseason game. That same weekend the Beagles have their first practice match against Swan Districts so the team that travels will be the best indicator of the R1 side to play 2 weeks later

The real stuff is getting close

That’s a fair assessment

Ryan and Hewett are both best 22 when they become available. Whenever that might be

Sheed probably is as well, at least in the club’s view, but it’s unlikely he’s ready for R1

Bazzo into the 26 to replace Rotham mainly because he’ll be pushing for R1 after sitting out a month of training

Duggan said Luke Edwards has been rotating with he and Reid in matchsim so he’ll be a chance for R1 in place of perhaps Chesser

It’s not long until the games to determine R1 selection kick off

Some time between now and Feb 24 when we play a scratchie against Freo there’ll be a full intraclub

Than the Fremantle hitout. The corresponding game we played against Adelaide last year comprised 6 quarters with every fit player on the list getting a run at some stage

We then travel to play Adelaide on March 2 in the only official preseason game. That same weekend the Beagles have their first practice match against Swan Districts so the team that travels will be the best indicator of the R1 side to play 2 weeks later

The real stuff is getting close
Rotham, petrucelle and Waterman came out of the 16 and 17 drafts that's a long time on the list I think maric, clay hall, bazzo deserve to get first crack. Gaff gets a game because sheed/Hewett are out injured otherwise he's prob struggle to make best 25. Witherden prob getting pushed out for hough. I think we need j.jones for his pace. Round 1 should see 4 new faces (Flynn,hall,reid,brockman) I even liked the look of harvey Johnston during the open training sessions think he might be a smokie for round1

B Cole Barrass Hough
HB Jones McGovern Reid
C Gaff Yeo Hunt
F Brockman Allen Long
R Flynn Kelly Duggan
S Cheeser
E Hall Maric Rotham

Looks pretty accurate in my opinion.

As Keys said, Bazzo in to replace Rotham in the EMG list. Would like to see him in the 22/23, and let him work alongside TB and Gov. I feel like if he plays, he wont be the 3rd tall. He will be the 2nd tall and Gov would play the 3rd tall role. At this stage I don't think he will replace anyone of the back 7. Also we do have good back cover with Duggo, Ginbey and potentially Yeo.

Have said for a while now and believe it is now a possibility with all our options to rotate off half back. But Yeoy's power and overhead strengths are so well suited to rest up forward. Would love for Noah/Brockman/Petch to get bursts of 5 minutes in the midfiled and Yeoy to rest deep forward 5/7 minutes per quarter.

Ginbey/Duggan/Reid to rotate through mid and half back

Gives us a rotation of
Kelly, Yeo, Duggan, Ginbey, Reid, Long, Brockman and Petrucelli. All bring different strengths and finiding the right mix is important.

Looking forward to learning more in the next few weeks about how we are going to structure up and what personal is going to be where.

B Cole Barrass Hough
HB Jones McGovern Reid
C Gaff Yeo Hunt
F Brockman Allen Long
R Flynn Kelly Duggan
S Cheeser
E Hall Maric Rotham

You are potentially leaving it open for us to have a forward line of Allen, BWilliams, Darling, Waterman and Yeo at the same time, thats an incredibly tall forward line.
For balance reasons, I dont think we can run Waterman and Darling in the same forward line, assuming Allen and BWilliams are fit, being the two locks down there.

Rotham is highly unlikely to be a part of our future, Bazzo probably will be. I want Bazzo to be given games tbh, he is in his 3rd year now, he needs to finally get games where he isnt forced to line up on tex or something. Its not like Rotham has shown much matching up on tall forwards that Bazzo would be behind him or anything.
Rotham potentially playing some ruck means almost nothing now that we have Flynn and BWilliams, and with the lines of JWilliams, and Waterman who can both go into the ruck the likely replacements for either of our 2 ruckmen, Rotham will likely never be asked to ruck again.

not funny transformers GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noteworthy because Duffield has been a pretty staunch supporter of Darling and has often written about how he’s under appreciated by some WCE supporters

It’s an interesting view that with Bailey Williams set to spend more time up forward, Darling potentially gets displaced as the 2nd tall if Williams does well pushing him to compete with Waterman and Maric as the third tall

Also assumes that Flynn locks down the no.1 ruck role which isn’t a given by any means (Preseason signs are encouraging though)

It’s an interesting one, because the counter argument would be that Darling as a 3rd tall would potentially allow him to use his best assets (ie his strength and work rate) to get into better goal scoring positions if Williams is able to take a defender away. How many times did we kick forward to an outnumber.

It’s a big if of course given it’s a new role for Williams and will be ever so heavily reliant on the supply we can provide. If we can move the ball fast enough and provide the supply I think he’s still capable this year of kicking 30-40.

IMO I think the curtain really starts to close next year, although Waterman’s pre-season form probably does add some genuine competition for the role with Maric as well.

The question with Bazzo and I don't see enough being in another country a lot of the time, can he play on talls and smalls like Mitch Brown and Schofield did in the past. In 2014 Brown played on Walters one week then Jonathan Brown the next. We all know that Schofield could play on any fwd. I think that is what you need alongside Mcgovern and Barrass. Brisbane for example just use 2 talls Hipwood and Daniher with Daniher helping out in the ruck. Who would Bazzo play on in the Brisbane fwd line. Rotham has actually played on Charlie Cameron before.

The other thing how long is Simpson going to persist with 2 rucks if B.Williams struggles up fwd. Simpson to me is more likely to drop Williams than Darling. So later on in the season if it is Allen, Darling, Maric, Ryan, Brockman, Long and Cripps as the forward 7 where is the 2nd ruck coming from. Rotham playing def and rotating with some of the mids is a ruck solution.

I am no fan of Rotham and injuries to forwards like Ryan will play a part, but as I said to somebody last night in Perth don't be surprised to see Rotham 2nd ruck or Waterman in def and as 2nd ruck to fit all these fwds in. Maric won't be in the WAFL for too long he is just too good and Simpson will never leave out Darling or Ryan.

The question with Bazzo and I don't see enough being in another country a lot of the time, can he play on talls and smalls like Mitch Brown and Schofield did in the past. In 2014 Brown played on Walters one week then Jonathan Brown the next. We all know that Schofield could play on any fwd. I think that is what you need alongside Mcgovern and Barrass. Brisbane for example just use 2 talls Hipwood and Daniher with Daniher helping out in the ruck. Who would Bazzo play on in the Brisbane fwd line. Rotham has actually played on Charlie Cameron before.

The other thing how long is Simpson going to persist with 2 rucks if B.Williams struggles up fwd. Simpson to me is more likely to drop Williams than Darling. So later on in the season if it is Allen, Darling, Maric, Ryan, Brockman, Long and Cripps as the forward 7 where is the 2nd ruck coming from. Rotham playing def and rotating with some of the mids is a ruck solution.

I am no fan of Rotham and injuries to forwards like Ryan will play a part, but as I said to somebody last night in Perth don't be surprised to see Rotham 2nd ruck or Waterman in def and as 2nd ruck to fit all these fwds in. Maric won't be in the WAFL for too long he is just too good and Simpson will never leave out Darling or Ryan.
If b.williams keeps improving like he did last year I think he holds number 1 Ruck spot Flynn isn't a given just yet. Hough is the one who can play both tall and small plus is quick/good skills his only downsize is his strength which he looks to have bulked up over summer. Bazzo and h.edwards are miles ahead of rotham imo, don't think bazzo can hold down a key position yet but he needs game time at afl to develop maybe he could play as sub if afl go with 4 bench 1 sub and just share load with mcgovern till he gets his confidence up

Rotham has probably got the most unfortunate timing with his OP right at this point of his career. He did end the year well so I hope that he gets back soon. He’s been training from what I can gather so hopefully just a blip

I think any footy we got out of Bazzo last year was a bonus- even before his mum he wasn’t having the best of preseasons injury wise. For mine he’s a new recruit, really.

We dont need a perfect structure, but we do need games into Bazzo. He needs to be taking over ideally from Gov after next year, and he also needs to be able to matchup on second forwards at the least. Barrass will still take the number 1 forward, so if Bazzo can do an ok job on the #2, with gov floating around to assist I dont see how that could be an issue
Rotham is 193cm, hes no ruckman. He only pinched in there because we had literally nobody else, waterman the same situation I believe, but id much rather Waterman in there as the second ruck if we had to have one. You really dont want to be stealing a defender every time your ruckman needs a rest, its much easier to keep structure by grabbing a forward. No reason maric couldnt pinch in the ruck too if we absolutely needed.
I do think BWilliams is getting a bit too much doubt on here as a forward, hes never been a pure ruckman until last year.

If b.williams keeps improving like he did last year I think he holds number 1 Ruck spot Flynn isn't a given just yet.
Flynn has to take the number 1 ruck I think, BWilliams did great, but is a bit of a liability defensively, and around the ground at ball ups. hes just a bit smaller than most other ruckmen. Flynn is a solid ruckman, he was behind Briggs who was probably the 3rd best ruckman in the comp last year
Hough is the one who can play both tall and small plus is quick/good skills his only downsize is his strength which he looks to have bulked up over summer. Bazzo and h.edwards are miles ahead of rotham imo, don't think bazzo can hold down a key position yet but he needs game time at afl to develop maybe he could play as sub if afl go with 4 bench 1 sub and just share load with mcgovern till he gets his confidence up
Bazzo is into his 3rd year, he needs to be doing full games. A KPD as a sub is just bad planning tbh, ill be disappointed if we run only Gov and Barrass as our talls for most of the year. Bazzo has never had the chance to play with both Gov and Barrass, every time hes played hes had to do way too much. He will be fine

Flynn has to take the number 1 ruck I think, BWilliams did great, but is a bit of a liability defensively, and around the ground at ball ups. hes just a bit smaller than most other ruckmen. Flynn is a solid ruckman, he was behind Briggs who was probably the 3rd best ruckman in the comp last year

Bazzo is into his 3rd year, he needs to be doing full games. A KPD as a sub is just bad planning tbh, ill be disappointed if we run only Gov and Barrass as our talls for most of the year. Bazzo has never had the chance to play with both Gov and Barrass, every time hes played hes had to do way too much. He will be fine
Hopefully the midfield will be a lot better and the balls not getting pumped into the backline as much to give them all a better chance.

I rate Williams, I think he will only get better. Last year he improved a heap and was a one man band with Flynn there to help out we should be a lot better off

B Cole Barrass Hough
HB Jones McGovern Reid
C Gaff Yeo Hunt
F Brockman Allen Long
R Flynn Kelly Duggan
S Cheeser
E Hall Maric Rotham

Reading what Ive read from Steve Allen, this morning, this still looks very accurate to what we will put out in Rd 1

Witherden preferred over Jones at HB, however we will play 7 defenders, so assuming that will be Jones still in the team.

Reid and Duggan to rotate between HB and mid.

Maric preferred over Waterman.

Sounds like Brockman had a strong showing and I would be shocked if he didn't play Rd 1.

I think it is looking something like this, assuming we all stay fit

B Cole Barrass Hough
HB Witherden McGovern Reid
C Gaff Yeo Hunt
HF Maric Darling Cripps
F Brockman Allen Long
R Flynn Kelly Duggan
I Gibney B.Williams Jones Petruccelle
S Chesser
E Hall Waterman Bazzo

Hewett, Sheed and Ryan all would be in the 26 if they were fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back