Prediction 2024 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

the single most important ingredient to our side is that we now know how to win - and we like it..............me too.........losing is just something that we used to know.........
ODE TO THE DELISTED (To the theme of Gotye)

"But you didn't have to cut my spot
Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a rookie, and that feels so rough
No, you didn't have to trade so low
Have your recruiters collect your draft picks and then change our numbers
I guess now we don't need that though
Now losing is just something that we used to know"

For thes first time I can remember a Best 22 is nearly impossible to pick. Previously, I have put players in I didn't rate. Now I can't fit in players I do rate

The core is Weitering Saad Cripps Acres Walsh Charlie McKay Cerra then it's up in the air with 30 players fighting for 15-16 other spots

That is a massive positive for us. Competition for spots is what makes great sides
Think you can add Newman, (a fit) Williams and Doc to that "core".

Probably Guv a walk up start too.

That's 11-12 locks, with 10-11 spots to fill....

Think you can add Newman, (a fit) Williams and Doc to that "core".

Probably Guv a walk up start too.

That's 11-12 locks, with 10-11 spots to fill....

Docherty is fair. He’s a definite lock

Newman & Gov would be favourites to play Rd One but the only reason I don’t have them as locks is the competition they have for positions. Williams I rate highly but after an ACL I just need to see him get on the park first 👍

For thes first time I can remember a Best 22 is nearly impossible to pick. Previously, I have put players in I didn't rate. Now I can't fit in players I do rate

The core is Weitering Saad Cripps Acres Walsh Charlie McKay Cerra then it's up in the air with 30 players fighting for 15-16 other spots

That is a massive positive for us. Competition for spots is what makes great sides
I'm finding the same thing, I can't remember a time when I wasn't putting players in I felt were second rate. Instead leaving players out who are very good players.

The best i can do is the team below but the players who get left out are really good. Fairly sure of the backline, totally unsure of the forward line and the midfield is a real unknown IMO, expecting a new face in the onball group this season, not sure who it will be, maybe both Hollands boys.

Newman Weitering McGovern
Saad Marchbank Williams
Acres Cripps Docherty
Martin McKay E Hollands
Fantasia Curnow Motlop
DeKoning Cerra Walsh
Boyd O Hollands Hewett Silvagni

Good enough: Kennedy Durdin Durdin Cowan Cincotta Fogarty Pittonet Kemp Cuningham Young Cottrell Owies
Maybe: Carroll Binns Wilson Moir
Probably not yet: Lemmy Carroll Monahan O'Keeffe Akuei Mirkov

Injuries shouldn't matter this season and we will probably have less as we can rotate players in and out of the team without it making much difference.

Always thought you need 30 odd genuine AFL quality players to win a flag and a really good best 22, well we have the really good best 22 and 34+ who are AFL quality. Just add the right high quality players to the best 22 which we may well have and we are right in this.

Did we even have that many players miss out in '95 who were genuinely that good? Best list since the 80's?

1st January Best 22 based on end of last season and pre season so far. Will review start February for comparison

B: Boyd Durdin McGovern
HB: Newman Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps O.Hollands
HF: Cottrell McKay Docherty
F: Motlop Charlie Silvagni
Foll: TDK Hewett Walsh
Int: Cerra Marchbank Martin Fogarty

Be very interesting to compare in a month when some intra clubs start and some players join from rehab

1st January Best 22 based on end of last season and pre season so far. Will review start February for comparison

Be very interesting to compare in a month when some intra clubs start and some players join from rehab

I like it. I just think we need another small dynamic/fast small forward. But who to take out becomes hard! Maybe Fogarty for a Owies/Fantasia/E.Hollands type?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Billy Wilson is a watch this space type. Reckon he has loads of talent and is exactly what the team needs in the middle. See the recruiters and the coach emphasising that he has pace and agility on draft night, we need it, we are looking for it and if it's available then we will see it IMO.

Names on the 30 man list I hear…

Very interesting how Boyd is in so many lineups

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

For some, Jordan Boyd was a surprise inclusion for the preliminary final for his first game in over two months. A three-game suspension saw Boyd out of the side, and he couldn’t squeeze his way back in as the Blues continued its winning run.
That was until the Blues made the trip to Brisbane, and Boyd well and truly proved that he belonged at the level.

Producing arguably a career-best performance in the biggest game he’s played to date, Boyd’s combination of strong defence and damaging ball use out of the back half saw him play nine games in 2023 despite surgery last pre-season.
Competition for spots has never been hotter at Carlton, so pre-season will be crucial for the likes of Boyd to secure his spot in the Blues’ starting side.

l don't see Sam Durdin being in our best 26, McGovern & Marchbank and Kemp are well ahead of him.
Also E Hollands & Fantasia have been recruited with the purpose of adding goal scoring from our medium forwards, we need another 25-35 scoring contributor, l see both ahead of Cottrell and Doc as forward options.
Also expecting Binns to be pushing for selection, always a positive to find 2-3 new players each season.

l don't see Sam Durdin being in our best 26, McGovern & Marchbank and Kemp are well ahead of him.
Also E Hollands & Fantasia have been recruited with the purpose of adding goal scoring from our medium forwards, we need another 25-35 scoring contributor, l see both ahead of Cottrell and Doc as forward options.
Also expecting Binns to be pushing for selection, always a positive to find 2-3 new players each season.

Did you read what I wrote? 🤔

Firstly... I tell you what is a great feeling... This was the hardest pre-season team to pick in however long I can remember. There'll be lots of competition this year. Awesome.

Here is my team:
1704325837609.png

Emergencies: Kennedy, Binns, Cincotta/ Marchbank, Silvagni

Marchbank the most noticeable omission. Wouldn't be surprised nor upset if he made the team, just think we get more out of Weiters-Gov-Kemp combo (especially with another pre-season training in the backline for Kemp). Would also purely depend on the opposition as well.

Moir, Owies & Cunningham could surprise this year and so may very well slot in to the team. Moir is an unknown right now, hence his omission. Owies hard worker & smart player, but minimal flair. Cunners has such a high potential, just don't know if he is going to reach it (first pre-season in donkey's years, so let's see what that does).

Binns - I love the kid. Think he will be something special. Seems to have really worked on his weakness this off-season, which was his repeating running efforts. Just hard to see right now whose spot he takes.

Elijah Hollands also a bit of an unknown - could very well slot straight in (post suspension). Same for Fantasia.

Last one is Jack Carroll - has spent some years now developing under Cripps & Co.... Is 2024 the year he breaks in to the firsts?

P.S. - In doing this I noticed that Cerra has only played 40 games?! 2024 = break-out year for him I reckon.

Very Surprised/Interested to see Sam Durdin in the 22. Haven't heard / seen anything since he went out injured in his first game. A big unit - exactly what we need at full back so Weiters is free to roam.

So how's he tracking at training?

Did you read what I wrote? 🤔
Yes l did, l just don't see Sam Durdin in the mix unless Weitering is injured.
The MC preferred a more mobile options in Kemp/McGovern and Marchbank, l don't see that changing particularly with Durdin having been in the Afl system for a fair period.
Also looking ahead for us to be a flag contender l indicated E Hollands & Fantasia have been brought in to improve a deficiency in our front half, l expect both to be given the opportunity to address this area, Fogarty was terrific in the defensive part of his role, but he does not score goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back