Prediction 2024 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Not in the inner sanctum, like the majority of people here

Gamestyle, skill level of 2 scratch matches and a couple of open sessions? I wouldn't bother trying to rate it

Injuries and flow on fitness, this time of the year compared to last year, massive improvement

But, plenty of other threads to discuss it

Pick your best 22, injured or not

Preview thread, pick the best 22 of who you think will be available

Maybe there should be a Rate our preseason thread?

But you're not willing to offer any rating which says it all really.

As far as preseasons go this is worse than last season. We overwork our players until they break and then sit there half way through the season wondering why we're underachieving. We only came good last year once we got Martin and Cunningham and a few others back out on the paddock.

At least in last year's preseason games we showed noticeable improvement.

Maybe there should be a Rate our preseason thread?
Great idea, start one

But you're not willing to offer any rating which says it all really.
What does it say, given I have already shared my reasons

As far as preseasons go this is worse than last season.
In your opinion, you mean

We overwork our players until they break and then sit there half way through the season wondering why we're underachieving.
How do you know we have overworked the players, especially given we have less injuries compared to the same time last year

We only came good last year once we got Martin and Cunningham and a few others back out on the paddock.
See above, healthier overall compared to this time last year

At least in last year's preseason games we showed noticeable improvement.

Did you forget what this forum was like after the Sydney scratch match, even your own content?

Given there's no volunteers and I'm interested in best 22 - I'll give it a go.

I don't quite remember the format, but I'll give it a go with something like this:
  • Best 7 defenders
  • Best 7 midfielders
  • Best 1 ruck
  • Best 7 forwards

Sub will be the one or two players that just missed out from each line
Yes, it will be hard to fit two rucks in - but, that's what I'll be going with

Let me know your thoughts

Given there's no volunteers and I'm interested in best 22 - I'll give it a go.

I don't quite remember the format, but I'll give it a go with something like this:
  • Best 7 defenders
  • Best 7 midfielders
  • Best 1 ruck
  • Best 7 forwards

Sub will be the one or two players that just missed out from each line
Yes, it will be hard to fit two rucks in - but, that's what I'll be going with

Let me know your thoughts
sounds good to me, that's effectively how I ran it before. Assumption is that the relief ruck is picked in another line, ie if someone wants Pitto+TDK, they pick Pitto as ruck and TDK in the forwards.

If you really want to, and have time, you could do a final vote for the sub, using the players who polled but didn't make it in the 22.

I'll leave the polls running for a few more days, but so far the best 23 is shaping to be something like this...

Let's see how far away we are from the RD0 team - notwithstanding injuries :'(

FB: Boyd Weitering Marchbank
HB: Newman McGovern Saad
C: Acres Cripps O.Hollands
HF: E.Hollands McKay Fantasia
FF: Motlop Curnow Martin
FOL: TDK Walsh Cerra
INT: Williams Docherty Hewett Kennedy Cottrell

Last edited:
I'll leave the polls running for a few more days, but so far the best 23 is shaping to be something like this...

This team could comfortably win the flag....

VS our RD0 team

Backs:Brodie KempLewis YoungAdam Saad
Half-backs:Zac WilliamsMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsMatthew Kennedy
Half-forwards:George HewettCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraSam Docherty
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Lachie FogartyOllie Hollands

So who are the changes?

Backs:Brodie Kemp
Marchbank
Lewis Young
Weitering
Adam Saad
EHollands
Motlop
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack Carroll
Walsh
Matthew Cottrell
Lachie Fogarty
Martin
Ollie Hollands

If I learned a couple of things from tonight it's that Carroll has backed my opinion that he's ready for senior football

And Docherty should be playing behind the ball. Carroll looked far better in there, Doch is just a bit too prone to slamming it on his boot when he's on ball imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VS our RD0 team

Backs:Brodie KempLewis YoungAdam Saad
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Lachie FogartyOllie Hollands

So who are the changes?

Backs:Brodie Kemp
Marchbank
Lewis Young
Weitering
Adam Saad
EHollands
Motlop
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack Carroll
Walsh
Matthew Cottrell
Lachie Fogarty
Martin
Ollie Hollands
Look at this line up again - so much talent to be added - and we have time to only bring them in when they are fully fit :)

Look at this line up again - so much talent to be added - and we have time to only bring them in when they are fully fit :)
IMO Fog doesn’t go out under any circumstance. Pressure & 1%’ers key to system holding up

Tough job for selectors. Sign of a good team. Great win, can chase anyone down now

IMO Fog doesn’t go out under any circumstance. Pressure & 1%’ers key to system holding up

Tough job for selectors. Sign of a good team. Great win, can chase anyone down now
Finally looks like we got one from Geelong.

Not going to do a best 23 after the first game but I thought from last night that we need more run through the midfield and a clean pair of hands at ground level up forward.

Obviously Motlop or Martin would have been great and there was a lot of pressure on from a quality side but it's an area for improvement.

We got a lot better once Cottrell was given a licence to run. He seemed a bit stagnant in the first half and involved in a lot of 1 on 1 across our half forward line.

It'll be interesting to see which running mids put their hands up in the two's.

I reckon this will be the side that may get in but to be honest I am pretty unsure of a few things. Happy with the backline and fairly happy with the midfield but the forward line, who knows.

Williams Weitering McGovern
Saad Marchbank Boyd
Acres Cripps Hollands
Cottrell McKay Cuningham
Martin Curnow Fantasia
DeKoning Cerra Walsh
Newman Hewett Hollands Motlop
Kennedy

Some good players not in that side. Fogarty and Kemp were really good the other night. Durdin is a player who I feel has a lot of potential.

Convinced with McKay as second ruck.

Last edited:
With Doc out and a number of players coming back how do we look for Round 3 against North after the bye?

B: Boyd Weitering McGovern
HB: Williams Kemp/Marchbank Saad

Foll: TDK Hewett Cerra

HF: E.Hollands McKay Fogarty
F: Martin Curnow Motlop

Int From: Walsh Kennedy Newman Carroll Cottrell Owies Fantasia Cuningham Cincotta C.Durdin

Going to be some tough selections. I can't decide

Post round 3:

B: Boyd Weitering McGovern
HB: Williams Marchbank Saad

Foll: TDK Walsh Cerra
C: Acres Cripps O Hollands

HF: E.Hollands Curnow Martin
F: Kennedy McKay Motlop

Int: Hewett Cottrell Newman C.Durdin
Sub: Carroll

Unlucky: Owies Kemp Fogarty Cuningham

Nice side and agree with how you have it. Personal opinion. The only question mark going forward, based on best form of each player, is whether an in form Fantasia pushes out Durdin. Right now Durdin should get the shot to hold the spot.

I also think Durdin would work better as a collective with Fog/Owies than the players listed on field. One player chasing like a headless chook just doesnt work IMO.

B: Williams Weitering McGovern
HB: Saad Marchbank Boyd

C: Acres Cripps O Hollands
HF: Cottrell McKay Cuningham
F: Martin Curnow Owies

OB: DeKoning Cerra Walsh
IC: Newman Hewett E Hollands Motlop
S: Carroll
EM: Kennedy Kemp Fantasia

Close to the 23: Kennedy Kemp Fantasia Fogarty C Durdin Pittonet S Durdin Young Cincotta
Emerging: Cowan Binns Lemmy Wilson O'Keeffe Moir
MIA: Docherty Silvagni

Having a better look at things I think at the moment this is the best 22 and I think we are going to get to see it put together over the next few weeks, possibly even this week if things go to plan.

The backline I have no doubts. Marchbank is the CHB without doubt. Kemp is the backup. He's not as good in the air and doesn't quite play as tall. Kemp is also backup for McGovern who is a real top level footballer. Saad, Williams, Boyd and Newman form a formidable team of smaller running defenders.

Weitering and Marchbank being out takes a lot of intercept marking out of the side and that intercept marking generates fast forward movement and scores so they have been sorely missed.

The midfield I am fairly confident that this is our best setup. Walsh has been a big out for us, his speed and two way run has been missed. Carroll has come into the side and given us this at a lower level and without him we would not have won either of our games IMO. Carroll stakes a claim for best 22 and is expected to improve this season. I think he comes in and out regularly and plays as the Sub often.

E Hollands is probably the other mid who remains a question. IMO he will step into the forward/mid role that Kennedy has been playing and will be an upgrade on Kennedy who has been fairly underwhelming in the role so far. Hollands was a highly rated junior in this role and coming off a strong preseason surely gets to prove himself. From a team perspective we have been waiting for years for someone to step up in this role and play it at a high level, if it happens then the team goes up a level IMO.

The forward line I am less confident about. Watching it the first two weeks there are two aspects that stick out. Lack of smaller marking options. We kick long to two players because there aren't too many other options presenting. Hard leading good overhead smaller types like Martin and Silvagni have been sorely missed. A lot of our small forwards are focused on being front and centre and are purely ground level players. Owies is probably our third best target up forward. Martin coming into the side offers a lot. Hollands should hopefully offer a lot. I think Cottrell and Cuningham are going ok. Not elite but probably on par. It's not a position where you kick a lot of goals or get huge possession numbers. The odd goal, a few goal assists, keep the dangerous defenders quiet and somewhere in the teens for possession numbers and run good patterns. They seem to be doing that. As for deeper small forwards we are really lacking goal kicking threats. Motlop is a goal kicker. Martin is a goal kicker and smart leading forward. I think they add a lot.

Particularly while we are using McKay in the ruck, that third and fourth marking target up forward is really important.

There is probably one final position in our forward line I have questions over and that is the forward pocket. I have picked Owies because he is another who is a goal kicking threat and defends well. He can also play half forward. Fantasia has played well in the past but he's been quiet coming in. Durdin is a player I have high hopes for and really rate but has no form behind him. Fogarty has been deaccent but he doesn't have that goal kicking threat to his game. This is the final spot in my team that I have questions over.

The sub, is probably another spot in the team I have questions over as well. I am leaning to Carroll as he can come in and add some pace and ball winning power in the midfield. Kemp and Kennedy are other options. Kennedy to me doesn't come on and have huge impacts, he's a grinder, goes at the same pace all day and grinds out a good honest game. Kemp is probably only seen as a general defender so his impact is probably not high enough. I think some of our youth may step up and demand some game time at some stage and could be looked at for this role but to me I think Carroll makes the best sub. The way he came on in the Brisbane game and inserted himself to the game was really impressive.

However this is a current 23 and things can change in the space of a week or two. I'm super excited to see this team rolled out soon. I think it has really nice balance and those returning add a lot of what has been missing. I think we have started the season as a 8-5th placed team. I think this team is a top 4 side.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back