Prediction 2023 - Best 22 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice side.

The key decisions i think for Voss and the selectors to make

Boyd or Cincotta
Is there a role for Marchbank
Can Harry play 2nd ruck, and if so, it becomes a choice of 2 of Silvagni, Fogarty & Motlop..
I think Walsh plays in the guts, which then means Hollands or Cotters play on the wing.. but then what of Hewett & Kennedy, not sure you can play both.

Cincotta, Weiters, Kemp
Newman, Gov, Saad

Acres, Walsh, Cotterell
TDK, Cripps, Cerra

Motlop, McKay, Martin
Owies, Curnow, JSOS

Hewett, Cunningham, Fogarty, Dow
Sub - Kennedy
Going to be tough selection because our smalls have been integral to our pressure.
Docherty would be stiff to miss :)

Cincotta, Weiters, Kemp
Newman, Gov, Saad

Acres, Cripps, Docherty
TDK, Walsh, Cerra

Fogarty, McKay, Cuningham
Owies, Curnow, Martin

Boyd, Hewett, Hollands, JSOS
Sub - Kennedy

Emg - Dow, Motlop, Cottrell, Pitto

Swap Pitto/JSOs when we play dominant tap ruckmen.

Boyd Weitering Kemp
Newman McGovern Saad
Hollands Cripps Acres
Martin McKay Cottrell
Motlop Curnow Owies

Pittonet Cerra Walsh

TDK Cincotta Hewett Docherty

SUB : Dow

Emerg : Kennedy Silvagni Durdin Cuningham

We have 4 elite runners in Walsh Hollands Acres Cottrell.
The work rate and coverage they provide allow the others to do what they do best.

Favour 2 genuine ruckman feeding our midfield a constant supply.

Dow offers immediate impact and midfield cover as sub.

It’s not the team i envisioned at the start of the season … but here we are …

Kemp Weitering Cincotta
Saad Mcgovern Newman
Acres Cripps Hollands
Cunners Mckay Fogarty
Owies Curnow Martin
TDK Cerra Walsh

Pittonet Hewett Docherty Cincotta

Cottrell

I feel Voss will have a squad of 30 soldiers pencilled in for his finals teams this year.

Don't get hung up on the actual team i have below. It is my preference, but there could easily be a few exchanges because it is extremely tight at the edges and there will always be an injury or 2. But i think Binns has run out of time, and on the other end of the scale so has little Durds this year. I think it's now a finals squad of 30 below:

Kemp Weitering Saad
Newman McGovern Docherty
Acres Cripps Hollands
Walsh McKay Martin
Owies Curnow Motlop

Pittonet Cerra Hewitt

DeKoning Cottrell Cincotta Dow

Cuningham

Extra 7: Fogarty Boyd Marchbank Silvagni Fisher Kennedy Cowan

Cincotta Weitering Kemp
Saad McGovern Newman

Acres Cripps Docherty

Cuningham Charlie Martin
Owies H JSOS

TDK Cerra Walsh

Dow, Fogarty, Cottrell, Holland. Sub: Fisher

FB: Kemp Weitering Saad
HB: Newman McGovern Cincotta
C: Acres Cripps Hollands
HF: Martin McKay Cunningham
FF: Owies Curnow Motlop

Foll: TDK Walsh Cerra

I/C: Hewett - Fogarty - Docherty - SOS or Pittonet depending on match up

Sub: Kennedy

It's tough. Can stake a claim for all of Dow Fisher Cottrel Marchbank and Boyd

FB: Kemp Weitering Saad
HB: Newman McGovern Cincotta
C: Acres Cripps Hollands
HF: Martin McKay Cunningham
FF: Owies Curnow Motlop

Foll: TDK Walsh Cerra

I/C: Hewett - Fogarty - Docherty - SOS or Pittonet depending on match up

It's tough. Can stake a claim for all of Dow Fisher Cottrel Marchbank and Boyd
Davey boy with only one (1) n for November.

Cotters for Mots, more run. Even for Hollands if it’s a numbers game.
Doc starting wing over Dutch.

Cinc has done very well. Boyd pushing.
Kennedy a run in the ressies before seniors selection, Dow (sub).

This is the hardest I have ever seen picking a best 22 for Carlton. Even in 2000 and 1995, it was pretty clear then who was in our best 22. At the moment we have nearly 30 players who can stake a claim for being a part of an elite AFL team which we have now.

It probably comes down to tiny little things. Someone is a little taller, little better mark, little quicker, bit better kick, little better tackler etc etc. Even taking these things into account it's hard.

As lists go it's probably us and Collingwood for depth quality. I may be being bias but those could easily be the grand final teams this season. Depth is a massive thing, all teams get injuries, if you have depth it's no big deal and you can also prevent injuries by resting players.

Our coaching team have never been in this situation where picking a team is this difficult either so we need to think of them as well. Selection deep in finals could be the difference between winning and losing. I think we need to stick to our values and fundamentals and what has brought about the change in for for us. Embracing the modern game which Carlton has not done since the 90s. Selecting quicker, harder tacklers, harder competitors and really good kicks and runners in our defensive half. Selecting players who fit their position better and aren't just put in because they are good general footballers.

Think our best 23 is something like this and is very interchangeable.

B: Kemp Weitering Newman
HB: Saad (Marchbank/McGovern) (Cincotta/Williams)
C: Acres Cripps (Hollands/Cottrell)
HF: Motlop Martin Owies
F: Curnow McKay (Cuningham/Fogarty/Durdin)
OB: (Pittonet/DeKoning) Walsh Cerra
IC: (Fisher/Boyd) Docherty (Hewett/Kennedy) (Silvagni/Pittonet/DeKoning)
SUB: Dow

Depth: Carroll Plowman Cowan Binns Curnow Honey

McGovern or Marchbank is really tough. Perhaps McGovern because his kicking is such a weapon. Marchbank may be a little better in the air. Perhaps Kemp is in this group as well but his role appears a little different to me.

Cincotta has been a lock since coming in. With Williams back next year that may not quite be the case. Could we imagine if Williams did not get injured after the preseason he was having?

Motlop, Owies, Fogarty and Cuningham have been a good combo lately. Could SOS and McKay coming back break this combo up? Do we keep it together and try something new by Rucking McKay? Our forward pressure and ground level game as been so good and our rotations have been good as well. Corey Durdin has been the biggest loser with his injury, the new game style is him all over. Think of him as an upgrade on Fogarty.

Pittonet or DeKoning? It's hard, neither are breaking out, both doing well. Maybe DeKoning slightly as he's better forward. Pitto is a good blanket for the elite rucks though, we do do well with them both playing.

Fisher or Boyd. Never thought I would be saying this but Fisher has been so good. Taking the game on, playing very much like Saad and taking the pressure off Saad. Boyd is one of my favourite players though the way he plays. His style of play to me suites finals better but gee Fisher has been a weapon.

Hewett or Kennedy. Both are cracking good footballer. A month ago Kennedy was on fire and Hewett could hardly get a kick in the VFL. Now Kennedy has missed a bit of footy and Hewett is playing the best he has ever played. I can't split them but I am adamant with Cripps out there we can not have both. I am worried we will select both and it could cost us a final. Imo its our restructure of the midfield adding more pace and break away speed that has brought about our resurgence. I can't split them though, probably at the moment Hewett because current form is the best kind of form.

Dow. I would love him in the side because IMO that third quick mid is the piece that will break teams. The better teams can probably handly Cerra, Walsh and Docherty but not a 4th. No one will be able to handle that. However the sub role is important. Dow is probably our greatest SUB of all time. He's come on every time and had an enormous impact. If a mid goes down or we want a tactical sub then he is the man.

Hollands and Cottrell is super hard as well. Both playing alright. Hollands will be the better player hands down. Have liked his chasing and physicality. Cottrell has been playing solidly as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aim for next week, still a lot of interchangeables but a squad of about 30 vying for proper selection.
+ Marchbank - Fisher - Ed
Than Kennedy when ready.
S.Durdin - Young - Cowan - Binns + C.Durds (?) with likely reserves backup of LOB, Honey, Carroll, Plowman
IMG_1275.jpeg

This is the hardest I have ever seen picking a best 22 for Carlton. Even in 2000 and 1995, it was pretty clear then who was in our best 22. At the moment we have nearly 30 players who can stake a claim for being a part of an elite AFL team which we have now.

It probably comes down to tiny little things. Someone is a little taller, little better mark, little quicker, bit better kick, little better tackler etc etc. Even taking these things into account it's hard.

As lists go it's probably us and Collingwood for depth quality. I may be being bias but those could easily be the grand final teams this season. Depth is a massive thing, all teams get injuries, if you have depth it's no big deal and you can also prevent injuries by resting players.

Our coaching team have never been in this situation where picking a team is this difficult either so we need to think of them as well. Selection deep in finals could be the difference between winning and losing. I think we need to stick to our values and fundamentals and what has brought about the change in for for us. Embracing the modern game which Carlton has not done since the 90s. Selecting quicker, harder tacklers, harder competitors and really good kicks and runners in our defensive half. Selecting players who fit their position better and aren't just put in because they are good general footballers.

Think our best 23 is something like this and is very interchangeable.

B: Kemp Weitering Newman
HB: Saad (Marchbank/McGovern) (Cincotta/Williams)
C: Acres Cripps (Hollands/Cottrell)
HF: Motlop Martin Owies
F: Curnow McKay (Cuningham/Fogarty/Durdin)
OB: (Pittonet/DeKoning) Walsh Cerra
IC: (Fisher/Boyd) Docherty (Hewett/Kennedy) (Silvagni/Pittonet/DeKoning)
SUB: Dow

Depth: Carroll Plowman Cowan Binns Curnow Honey

McGovern or Marchbank is really tough. Perhaps McGovern because his kicking is such a weapon. Marchbank may be a little better in the air. Perhaps Kemp is in this group as well but his role appears a little different to me.

Cincotta has been a lock since coming in. With Williams back next year that may not quite be the case. Could we imagine if Williams did not get injured after the preseason he was having?

Motlop, Owies, Fogarty and Cuningham have been a good combo lately. Could SOS and McKay coming back break this combo up? Do we keep it together and try something new by Rucking McKay? Our forward pressure and ground level game as been so good and our rotations have been good as well. Corey Durdin has been the biggest loser with his injury, the new game style is him all over. Think of him as an upgrade on Fogarty.

Pittonet or DeKoning? It's hard, neither are breaking out, both doing well. Maybe DeKoning slightly as he's better forward. Pitto is a good blanket for the elite rucks though, we do do well with them both playing.

Fisher or Boyd. Never thought I would be saying this but Fisher has been so good. Taking the game on, playing very much like Saad and taking the pressure off Saad. Boyd is one of my favourite players though the way he plays. His style of play to me suites finals better but gee Fisher has been a weapon.

Hewett or Kennedy. Both are cracking good footballer. A month ago Kennedy was on fire and Hewett could hardly get a kick in the VFL. Now Kennedy has missed a bit of footy and Hewett is playing the best he has ever played. I can't split them but I am adamant with Cripps out there we can not have both. I am worried we will select both and it could cost us a final. Imo its our restructure of the midfield adding more pace and break away speed that has brought about our resurgence. I can't split them though, probably at the moment Hewett because current form is the best kind of form.

Dow. I would love him in the side because IMO that third quick mid is the piece that will break teams. The better teams can probably handly Cerra, Walsh and Docherty but not a 4th. No one will be able to handle that. However the sub role is important. Dow is probably our greatest SUB of all time. He's come on every time and had an enormous impact. If a mid goes down or we want a tactical sub then he is the man.

Hollands and Cottrell is super hard as well. Both playing alright. Hollands will be the better player hands down. Have liked his chasing and physicality. Cottrell has been playing solidly as well.
I like your posts and analysis, but on this one I find it confusing.

e.g. If McGov plays instead of Marchbank - then is Marchbank out of the running for interchange spot?

Anyway, I would like to see your best 23 - let's say this year for the GF. i.e. only fit players therefore no Williams

The hotly contested best 22 spots & the 30 players fighting for them

2 Ruck/ Fwd Spots - TDK, Pittonet & JSOS
2 Inside-mid spots - Cripps, Hewett & Kennedy
2 Balanced-mid spots - Cerra, Walsh & Dow (been playing inside and out)
2 Wingers - Cottrell, Acres & Hollands
2 KPF - McKay, Curnow
2 General Forwards - Martin & Cuningham
3 Small forwards - Motlop, Fogarty, Owies & Durdin
4 General defenders - Newman, Saad, Cincotta, Docherty, Fisher & Boyd
3 KPD - Weitering, Kemp, McGovern & Marchbank

IMO, the non-bolded ones, are going to have to fight for the Sub role, wait until an injury or form slump...

FB: Weitering - Kemp - Newman
HB: Saad - McGovern - Cincotta

C: Acres - Cripps - Cottrell
FOL: Pittonet - Cerra - Walsh

HF: Fogarty - De Koning - Martin
FF: Motlop - McKay - Curnow

B: Hewett - Cuningham - Owies - Docherty
SUB: ?

Think I'm a defender short having to play Docherty back, with spurts in the middle...
Everyone deserves a game, the team is so hard to pick now...

McKay really needs to learn to become the second ruck next year, his inability to do it, is now costing us an extra player in the best 22...

RD24 and the finals could be our best chance this season of fielding our best 22 :D

Z Williams aside, do we have anyone else that can jump into the best 22?
I don't think Boyd & JSOS are best 22 anymore.

Based on the RD22 team, with minimal structural changes:
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaCaleb Marchbank
McGov
Adam Saad
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsSam Docherty
Half-forwards:Jack MartinTom De KoningDavid Cuningham
Walsh
Forwards:Jesse MotlopCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettBlake Acres
Interchange:Matthew Cottrell
Cerra
Paddy DowZac Fisher
Harry McKay
Emergencies:Jordan Boyd
Marchbank
Ed Curnow
Kennedy
Josh Honey
Cottrell
Jack Silvagni
Fogarty

The last 3 spots (including Sub) can come from: Dow, Fisher, Kennedy, Fogarty & Cottrell

Last edited:
People suggesting that Kennedy isn’t in our best 22 are kidding themselves.

He’s tough, assured by foot and can take a good overhead mark

The issue is balance.
I would argue that playing all of Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy in the same midfield is unbalanced.
Or at very least, at extreme risk of being unbalanced.

And despite attempts this year, Kennedy isn't a backman. Nor is he more than a pinch-hitting forward. He's a centre square mid.

I think our best (and most overall balanced) mid mix is Cripps, Cerra, Walsh and Hewett.
With Docherty, Acres and Cottrell rotating through the wings.
Centre square rotations being Doc, Cunners and occasionally others.

We started our run with 4 of the 5 and the other as the sub

It works just fine in my eyes and didn't seem slow at all

Especially with pace of rotations and or on the edges

I don't want to sound pedantic, but 1 as the sub means they're not all in the 22.
And I have zero issue with Kennedy being the sub, and the other 4 starting. I don't think it creates the same lack of balance.

I don't want to sound pedantic, but 1 as the sub means they're not all in the 22.
And I have zero issue with Kennedy being the sub, and the other 4 starting. I don't think it creates the same lack of balance.

Think we have strayed from the initial statements

Even if we go with 4 of the 5, Dow is still behind the pecking order

Even if Cripps is rested this week, think think the starting 4 are Kennedy, Hewett, Walsh, Cerra

With a couple as rotations

Dow, might get a sub call up

Think we have strayed from the initial statements

Even if we go with 4 of the 5, Dow is still behind the pecking order

Even if Cripps is rested this week, think think the starting 4 are Kennedy, Hewett, Walsh, Cerra

With a couple as rotations

Dow, might get a sub call up
I think it would be a huge call to drop Dow this week to fit in Kennedy who hasn't played in 7 weeks.

But everyone fit, I see those 2 battling for the sub spot.
Right now I lean towards Dow due to current form.

Think Kennedy needs to be played predominantly forward. With no JSOS we will need his strong hands, footy iq, repeated leads/efforts & “crash test dummy” ability. Kennedy can take an absolute hiding in a contest, still take the mark & distribute it very well.
Bloke has never shirked a contest in his life & u need that when you’re trying to get the ball back into the centre corridor to open up the ground for your key forwards. Think it’s the best team roll for him in the finals too, he can roll thru the middle as well & have real impact

McGovern Kemp Newman
Saad Weitering Docherty
Hollands Cripps Acres
Martin McKay Cuningham
Owies Curnow Motlop
TDK Walsh Hewett
Cerra Cottrell Fisher Fogarty
EMG: Cincotta Silvagni Dow
Pitto will be in somewhere, I suspect for Cuningham. Otherwise I reckon that’s it but would play Dow over Bam Bam as sun given how long he’s been out.

McGovern Kemp Newman
Saad Weitering Docherty
Hollands Cripps Acres
Martin McKay Cuningham
Owies Curnow Motlop
TDK Walsh Hewett
Cerra Cottrell Fisher Fogarty
EMG: Cincotta Silvagni Dow

Strong side SC

Couple of areas of interest

Think we will always go with 2 of Pitto, TDK and Jsos