Prediction 2024 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-practice match best 23 + emergencies.

FB: Boyd Weitering Kemp
HB: Newman McGovern Saad
C: Acres Cripps O.Hollands
HF: E.Hollands McKay Cottrell
FF: Motlop Curnow Martin
FOL: Pittonet Walsh Cerra
INT: Williams Docherty Hewett TDK
M/SUB: Fantasia

EMG: Marchbank Kennedy Cuningham Owies

Given the preseason game line up - it looks like Hewett is ahead of Kennedy as best 22
I'm really enjoying my club having that contextualized conundrum.......in the past we'd just drool to have either.........

Worth watching Pitto to see how fit he is. Clarke (on radio) indicated TDK has won the role of first choice ruck. Not because he is better but because Pitto has missed sessions causing him to fall behind. That clear statement is interesting because they haven't really used it much publicly. Of course, I could def be overeading it.

That was sort of a big statement for early season games. They must be weighing up TDK plus chopout from Harry vs carrying an unfit slow Pitto in the side.

Different take. Round 0 projection based on preseason and assuming no Martin but Walsh and Marchbank to get up.

B: Newman Young McGovern
HB: Williams Marchbank Saad
C: Docherty Cripps Acres
HF: Fogarty McKay Cunningham
F: Motlop Curnow Fantasia
OB: TDK Walsh Cerra
IC: Boyd O.Hollands Hewett Cottrell
Sub: Kennedy

Notes:
  • Boyd looks to have won that 7th defender spot over Cincotta and Cowan
  • With Pitto not at full fitness we can't carry 2 rucks. Young can follow Danniher into the ruck when he relieves the big O.
  • Have replaced Martin and E.Hollands with Fog and Cunners from my best 22. The latter don't provide the marking presence of the former so we'll need to lower our eyes and pressure hard.
  • I'm in the camp that says you can't play Hewett and Kennedy if all the other mids are fit. Hewett gets the starting spot over Kennedy given he's had a better run in the practice matches.

Other options:
  • Would have loved another look at Moir as could have used his height in attack with no Martin
  • Could go Kemp over Boyd as 7th defender to free Young up for more ruck time.

Lions look like playing 3 tall forwards + BigO

Either Young, Marchbank, Kemp all play or we purposely go in undersized and Gov takes Gardiner, leaving Kemp out

Or, Pitto 1st ruck, Harry, Charlie, TDK all forward, forcing them to shift Gardiner back, and or Doedee/Joyce/Lester play undersized

Chess or russian roulette, intriguing

Different take. Round 0 projection based on preseason and assuming no Martin but Walsh and Marchbank to get up.

B: Newman Young McGovern
HB: Williams Marchbank Saad
C: Docherty Cripps Acres
HF: Fogarty McKay Cunningham
F: Motlop Curnow Fantasia
OB: TDK Walsh Cerra
IC: Boyd O.Hollands Hewett Cottrell
Sub: Kennedy

Notes:
  • Boyd looks to have won that 7th defender spot over Cincotta and Cowan
  • With Pitto not at full fitness we can't carry 2 rucks. Young can follow Danniher into the ruck when he relieves the big O.
  • Have replaced Martin and E.Hollands with Fog and Cunners from my best 22. The latter don't provide the marking presence of the former so we'll need to lower our eyes and pressure hard.
  • I'm in the camp that says you can't play Hewett and Kennedy if all the other mids are fit. Hewett gets the starting spot over Kennedy given he's had a better run in the practice matches.

Other options:
  • Would have loved another look at Moir as could have used his height in attack with no Martin
  • Could go Kemp over Boyd as 7th defender to free Young up for more ruck time.

Assuming anyone who hasn't participated in a practice match misses R0 my guess would be as follows.

B Adam Saad Brodie Kemp Alex Cincotta
HB Jordan Boyd Mitch McGovern Nic Newman
C Blake Acres Patrick Cripps Oliver Hollands
HF David Cuningham Charlie Curnow Matt Cottrell
F Jesse Motlop Harry McKay Orazio Fantasia
R Tom De Koning Adam Cerra Sam Docherty
IC Matthew Kennedy George Hewett Lachlan Fogarty
Marc Pittonet

Sub Jaxon Binns

Hopefully Walsh gets up. If not we'll have 9 players unavailable (I think we had 10 or 11 out for R1 last year).

Jack Silvagni
Corey Durdin
Jack Martin
Matt Owies
Sam Walsh
Jacob Weitering
Caleb Marchbank
Zac Williams
Elijah Hollands

Disappointing that Williams still looks to be a couple of weeks away at least given he's well over 12 months into his rehab. Preferable that nobody is rushed back though.

Can't remember the last time Cunners was available for the first game so that's a big win. Martin missing leaves a big hole so we need some of the good Cunners rather than the going missing version.

Fairly threadbare looking team. We are desperately short on decent tall defenders so Weit missing significantly weakens the team. Hopefully Austin has some ideas for the mid-season draft but I think retaining S Durdin is a major blunder. He's so slow I can't see him ever being a reliable AFL defender and he's injury prone. We needed to use that list spot on the next best mature CHB.

Assuming anyone who hasn't participated in a practice match misses R0 my guess would be as follows.

B Adam Saad Brodie Kemp Alex Cincotta
HB Jordan Boyd Mitch McGovern Nic Newman
C Blake Acres Patrick Cripps Oliver Hollands
HF David Cuningham Charlie Curnow Matt Cottrell
F Jesse Motlop Harry McKay Orazio Fantasia
R Tom De Koning Adam Cerra Sam Docherty
IC Matthew Kennedy George Hewett Lachlan Fogarty
Marc Pittonet

Sub Jaxon Binns

Hopefully Walsh gets up. If not we'll have 9 players unavailable (I think we had 10 or 11 out for R1 last year).

Jack Silvagni
Corey Durdin
Jack Martin
Matt Owies
Sam Walsh
Jacob Weitering
Caleb Marchbank
Zac Williams
Elijah Hollands

Disappointing that Williams still looks to be a couple of weeks away at least given he's well over 12 months into his rehab. Preferable that nobody is rushed back though.

Can't remember the last time Cunners was available for the first game so that's a big win. Martin missing leaves a big hole so we need some of the good Cunners rather than the going missing version.

Fairly threadbare looking team. We are desperately short on decent tall defenders so Weit missing significantly weakens the team. Hopefully Austin has some ideas for the mid-season draft but I think retaining S Durdin is a major blunder. He's so slow I can't see him ever being a reliable AFL defender and he's injury prone. We needed to use that list spot on the next best mature CHB.

Not sure I would make that leap, that players yet to play a scratch match, miss the opening round

Nor would all those players be a lock for best 22

Not sure I would make that leap, that players yet to play a scratch match, miss the opening round

Nor would all those players be a lock for best 22

I would be surprised if any of these guys played next week:

Jack Silvagni
Corey Durdin
Jack Martin
Matt Owies
Sam Walsh
Jacob Weitering
Caleb Marchbank
Zac Williams
Elijah Hollands

Motlop now a serious doubt.

Why did Kennedy miss tonight?

Potentially 11 to miss. Our ability to get to the end of preseason with anything like a full list to choose from is probably the worst in the league. Not sure why but it can't be a coincidence that it happens every year.

Jack Silvagni
Corey Durdin
Jack Martin
Matt Owies
Sam Walsh
Jacob Weitering
Caleb Marchbank
Zac Williams
Elijah Hollands

Potentially 11 to miss. Our ability to get to the end of preseason with anything like a full list to choose from is probably the worst in the league. Not sure why but it can't be a coincidence that it happens every year.

agree. Think everyone needs to post a round 0 and a round 2 team as it will change markedly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

frustrated the missing GIF by STARZ

Jack Silvagni
Corey Durdin
Jack Martin
Matt Owies
Sam Walsh
Jacob Weitering
Caleb Marchbank
Zac Williams
Elijah Hollands

This same boring agenda from the injury thread

You are all of a sudden surprised that Jsos is out for a year and Elijah was suspended by the AFL?

Marchbank covid

Kennedy played in the VFL, Williams too after returning from an ACL

Jsos our only long term injury, all other players will be available before or after the bye

This isn't constructive

You are all of a sudden surprised that Jsos is out for a year and Elijah was suspended by the AFL?

Marchbank covid

Jsos our only long term injury, all other players will be available before or after the bye

This isn't constructive

I’m not even sure that stats are correct, there are plenty of sides right now with injury woes. We are definitely not Robinson Crusoe in trying to get our best team together for the start of the season.

I think it’s time to sakc someone!!!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Marchbank covid

This isn't constructive

If you were giving our preseason a mark out of 10 right now what would you give it?

Looking at our game style, fitness, injuries and skill level based on available evidence?

3 out of 10 is probably being generous and last year was probably a 1 out of 10.

It's an issue.

If you were giving our preseason a mark out of 10 right now what would you give it?

Looking at our game style, fitness, injuries and skill level based on available evidence?

3 out of 10 is probably being generous and last year was probably a 1 out of 10.

It's an issue.

Not in the inner sanctum, like the majority of people here

Gamestyle, skill level of 2 scratch matches and a couple of open sessions? I wouldn't bother trying to rate it

Injuries and flow on fitness, this time of the year compared to last year, massive improvement

But, plenty of other threads to discuss it

Pick your best 22, injured or not

Preview thread, pick the best 22 of who you think will be available

Not in the inner sanctum, like the majority of people here

Gamestyle, skill level of 2 scratch matches and a couple of open sessions? I wouldn't bother trying to rate it

Injuries and flow on fitness, this time of the year compared to last year, massive improvement

But, plenty of other threads to discuss it

Pick your best 22, injured or not

Preview thread, pick the best 22 of who you think will be available
can't be easy defending our pre-season game performances - let me know if you need any emotional support..........I'm here for ya.......

I think rating our pre-season will be fairly judged over the first 3-6 rounds. Not always about win/losses but how we play and if we lose, how we lost. Those debating either side of this topic now dont have a clue.

To keep things simple, and not Carlton specific, those teams in the top six after round 6 have had a good pre-season typically. How the end of season looks is another matter, e.g. Bombers sliding into the abyss late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back