Prediction 2023 - Best 22 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the team I would like to see Week 1 of finals.

A couple of philosophical points that underpin the team:
  • One ruck please. Our pressure and marking power around the ground is much better when we play one of TDK/Pitto.
  • Harry needs to start taking ~10-20% of ruck duties for team balance and to also help his own game.
  • Kennedy very unlucky - most likely would be in the team if not for his injury.
  • Cottrell unlucky to be sub, but I think he is absolutely perfect for the role.
  • I could hear an argument for Marchbank over Fisher as the 7th defender. Depends on the match ups really.
B:39. Cincotta23. Weitering24. Newman
HB:11. McGovern17. Kemp42. Saad
C:15. Docherty9. Cripps14. Hollands
HF:28. Cuningham10. McKay3. Motlop
F:44. Owies30. Curnow21. Martin
R:12. De Koning5. Cerra18. Walsh
INT:8. Fogarty13. Acres25. Fisher
29. Hewett
SUB:46. Cottrell
EMG:7. Kennedy22. Marchbank27. Pittonet
35. Curnow

• One ruck please. Our pressure and marking power around the ground is much better when we play one of TDK/Pitto.
  • Harry needs to start taking ~10-20% of ruck duties for team balance and to also help his own game.
Ain't going to happen, nor should it.

The debates ( in no particulr order ) will be about shuffling team selections or 'fit' between:

Cincotta/Fisher/Marchbank/Cuningham/Kennedy/Dow/Cottrell and maybe at a stretch Boyd

all sorts of combinations and permutations will be put up to 'justify' people's favourites

meanwhile the preferred starting team and was settled months ago - and probably the only missing layer is the injured Jack Silvagni - although I think if fit he would be in the mix above.

Not a bad mix of players fighting it out and leaving deent reserve strength up the sleeve for the inevitable injuries.

My 'unlucky' outs for finals will be: Marchbank| Fisher | Dow - I genuinely feel sorry for Jack - roten luck and a seriously rotten injury.

Finals are typiclly a war of attrition - if anyone needs a filter to help them choose betwen playes- think who do I think is going to be a better team defender? Defense wins premierships - somethign Voss has known all along maybe because he ahs actually done it a few times.

Cincotta Weitering Kemp
Saad McGovern Newman

Acres Cripps Cotterell

Cuningham Mckay Fogarty
Martin Curnow Owies

Pittonet Cerra Walsh

TDK Docherty Hewett xxxx

I think that much of the team is fairly likely. Comes down to whether they want the winger rotation in Holland's, the burst mid in dow, a half back in Fisher/boyd, extra small in motlop or another bulldozer in Kennedy and it probably depends on match up each week for that last spot and then the sub. Think JSos only comes into it if TDK/pitto miss. Kennedy, dow, Fisher, boyd, Holland's, motlop all capable and probably deserving. Strong top 30.

Against Melbourne I'd probably choose Kennedy, against Collingwood a Holland's Boyd or dow, against Brisbane probably Kennedy, against st Kilda it'd be dow for his burst. Etc etc

If fit, think JSOS needs to be emergency.. Play the current two rucks.

if there is a ruck injury, or if Pitto is laboring, JSOS can pinch hit. Also if a forward / back goes down team can shuffle for JSOS to play forward.

This is the team I would like to see Week 1 of finals.

• Kennedy very unlucky - most likely would be in the team if not for his injury.
  • Cottrell unlucky to be sub, but I think he is absolutely perfect for the role.
  • I could hear an argument for Marchbank over Fisher as the 7th defender. Depends on the match ups really.
B:39. Cincotta23. Weitering24. Newman
HB:11. McGovern17. Kemp42. Saad
C:15. Docherty9. Cripps14. Hollands
HF:28. Cuningham10. McKay3. Motlop
F:44. Owies30. Curnow21. Martin
R:12. De Koning5. Cerra18. Walsh
INT:8. Fogarty13. Acres25. Fisher
29. Hewett
SUB:46. Cottrell
EMG:7. Kennedy22. Marchbank27. Pittonet
35. Curnow
If we are playing 1 ruck, at a minimum SOS needs to play, Harry is never taking a centre bounce and we need insurance should De Konig go down.
Acres starts on the wing, Doch can be on the bench.
Kennedy and Cotterell are in front of Fish and Fog.

If fit, think JSOS needs to be emergency.. Play the current two rucks.

if there is a ruck injury, or if Pitto is laboring, JSOS can pinch hit. Also if a forward / back goes down team can shuffle for JSOS to play forward.

If we are playing 1 ruck, at a minimum SOS needs to play, Harry is never taking a centre bounce and we need insurance should De Konig go down.

Jack is out contention unfortunately re-injured his knee.

No to Harry in the Ruck, never played there and would be asinine to try it in finals.

Have come around to Pitto, need him war-horsing in the ruck especially against a Gawn/Big O

Jack is out contention unfortunately re-injured his knee.
Then as much as I think Pitto is useless, i think we have no choice but to play him.. If it was up to me though I would give Okeefe a chance this week and if he showed anything would play him with TDK.

B- Cincotta Weitering Newman
HB- Saad McGovern Kemp
C- Acres Cripps Docherty
HF- Martin Curnow Cunningham
F- Motlop McKay Owies
FOLL- Pittonet Cerra Walsh
I/C- Hewett, TDK, Hollands, Cottrell
Sub- Fogarty

I think we need to rest Pittonet and Cripps this week and get them as healthy as we can for Week 1 Finals

Then Week 1 Finals is as per below:
  • assume two rucks cause I sense that is a given by MC and JSOS is injured
  • McGovern over Marchbank unless Marchy plays well this week
  • Fogarty over Cuningham (still surprised I am making this call) - I think Fogarty is more important to system and Motlop is in slightly better form then Cuningham
  • Docherty to hbf as he provides the same run but won’t get outmarked as much as Fisher and Cerra to take mid spot of Doch
  • Kennedy or Dow for sub (depends if we want mid burst or flexibility/mid/fwd marking ie replace ruck)

B: Newman, Weitering, McGovern
HB: Docherty, Kemp, Saad
C: Hollands, Cripps, Acres
HF: Martin, McKay, Fogarty
F: TDK, C Curnow, Owies
R: Pittonet, Hewett, Cerra
IC: Motlop (f),Cincotta (d), Walsh (m), Cottrell (w/f)
Sub: Kennedy or Dow

Em: Marchbank, Fisher, Cuningham
In: Cerra, McGovern, Fogarty, Walsh, Kennedy/Dow?
Out: Fisher, Marchbank, Cuningham, Ed, Dow?

Kennedy and particularly Silvagni are going to find it hard to get back in particularly if we stay healthy, Durdin has unfortunately had his share of injury setbacks this year, bit surprised to see him named in squad but I’m very interested to how he’d go now playing in the current team if required…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then as much as I think Pitto is useless, i think we have no choice but to play him.. If it was up to me though I would give Okeefe a chance this week and if he showed anything would play him with TDK.
Pitto is not useless. His strengths (and injuries) mean that tapping and blocking for the mids, is his main game. And as TDK describes it, beating up on the oppo ruck. Ready for some TDK leaping. Team game and all that.

meanwhile the preferred starting team and was settled months ago -
When we were losing? Or when we just started winning & have had injuries all over the place? Or before Dow got a full game, or Martin\Fog\Cunner came in?
The team is 100% evolving & growing. Team is as good as it’s been for a long time but it has not been settled- especially months ago

The debates ( in no particulr order ) will be about shuffling team selections or 'fit' between:

Cincotta/Fisher/Marchbank/Cuningham/Kennedy/Dow/Cottrell and maybe at a stretch Boyd

all sorts of combinations and permutations will be put up to 'justify' people's favourites

meanwhile the preferred starting team and was settled months ago - and probably the only missing layer is the injured Jack Silvagni - although I think if fit he would be in the mix above.

Not a bad mix of players fighting it out and leaving deent reserve strength up the sleeve for the inevitable injuries.

My 'unlucky' outs for finals will be: Marchbank| Fisher | Dow - I genuinely feel sorry for Jack - roten luck and a seriously rotten injury.

Finals are typiclly a war of attrition - if anyone needs a filter to help them choose betwen playes- think who do I think is going to be a better team defender? Defense wins premierships - somethign Voss has known all along maybe because he ahs actually done it a few times.

Very balanced post

And I agree, think it will be difficult for Marchbank, Fisher, Dow to hold their place for finals

At this stage, a toss up between Fog and Cuners too

Cincotta Weitering Kemp
Saad McGovern Newman
Docherty Cripps Acres
Martin McKay Fogarty
Owies Charlie Motlop
TDK Walsh Cerra
Hewett Fisher Cottrell Pittonet
Sub: Dow
Emergencies Marchbank Cuningham Kennedy Hollands

This was very difficult to select and no doubt you could justify many changes to my preferred side.

Very unlucky for Hollands but I went for mature bodies in finals. Unlucky on Cunners as well. Literally a toss up between him and Fogarty but I went with Fog as he adds more tackle pressure which I value higher in finals.

I selected all our key small forwards as that has been pivotal to our turnaround this year. We need all of them to bring the pressure and intensity in the forward half.

I begrudgingly went with the two rucks even though I'm still a bit iffy on both in the same side.

Defence is solid as a rocker. Fisher to bring the attacking flair off the bench.

Cottrell over Kennedy and Cunners as he can play half forward and cover a wing when Docherty or Acres rest.

Our game needs to be built on being contested beasts and winning clearances, forward half pressure to get turnovers in our forward half and strong systems behind the ball to intercept and hit targets moving forward. This team I believe has all those ingredients.

What a dream to struggle to put together a best 23. Already I'm questioning even my own selections and have made several changes since writing this post.

Ultimately I do think Kennedy will play. I love him just worry about coming back off a long layoff and compromising our forward pressure by not selecting our full repertoire of small pressure forwards.

We may have our best 22 for the year going into our first finals.

This is a very strong team - I can keen to see this team being on the field as being our best team available atm

Newman Weitering Cincotta
Saad Kemp McGovern
Acres Cripps Docherty
Martin McKay Fogarty
Owies Curnow Motlop
FOL: DeKonig, Cerra, Walsh
INT: Hewett, Boyd, Cottrell, Pittonet
SUB: Dow

If everyone is available - who is who is actually missing? Only Z Williams?
I would just swap Cincotta out for Williams

We may have our best 22 for the year going into our first finals.

This is a very strong team - I can keen to see this team being on the field as being our best team available atm

Newman Weitering Cincotta
Saad Kemp McGovern
Acres Cripps Docherty
Martin McKay Fogarty
Owies Curnow Motlop
FOL: DeKonig, Cerra, Walsh
INT: Hewett, Boyd, Cottrell, Pittonet
SUB: Dow

If everyone is available - who is who is actually missing? Only Z Williams?
I would just swap Cincotta out for Williams
That is a mighty side. Take out Boyd add Dow and Cunners the Sub and its even mightier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back