Prediction 2024 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Elaborating on what I said earlier, here's a team I think we will go with and how it works.

B: McGovern Weitering Newman
HB: Saad Marchbank Williams
C: Acres Cripps O Hollands
HF: Martin McKay E Hollands
F: Fantasia Curnow Motlop
OB: Pittonet Walsh Cerra
IC: Boyd Kennedy Docherty DeKoning
SUB: A forward

Backline
I love the mobility and the run but the intercept marking ability that is also there. There is speed and endurance but also rotations. You want all your small backs to be able to play back pocket and HBF so they can rotate. We don't want guys stuck on the flank doing a lot of hard running all game because the pockets aren't fit enough or good enough to play up the ground. In finals last year we were down to Saad as our only prime two way running AFL level back flanker with Boyd doing an admirable job on the other flank, Newman doing his usual and Cincotta struggling after a long run in his first AFL preseason.

What I love is knowing Saad, Boyd, Williams and Newman can all play half back and back pocket and will be rotating and keeping each other fresh.

What I also love is Marchbank and McGovern. They read the game so well and intercept mark but they also bring flanker level leg speed. Marchbank brings two way run. We saw just how much he likes to get involved in the break and chaines of play after the turnover after no preseason and years off. He used to play wing for us at times. He's had his first preseason in so long, he adds another runner to our half back line as well as a key position player. McGovern fitter than ever brings the same thing.

A thing we may see later in the season is Williams rotating through the middle, perhaps with Docherty. But I think that is a thought that we just hold expectations on as well. Speaking of Williams, here is a talented footballer who came to us from GWS lacking conditioning and fitness. Last preseason he got himself in ripping condition only to go down with a knee. This season the AFL world gets to see him at a level of conditioning he has never been at before.

Weitering is Weitering. We know what we get here.

Midfield
Wings
Acres is one of the game's better wingers and it's great to have him. Hollands is one of the games up and comers. Wing is a tough role that takes a lot of hard work, patience and good positioning for mixed results when it comes to reward. I think we will see Docherty rotate through the wings at times and Cottrell if he is in the side. Binns will be pushing hard for selection for this position as well. I really like our wings. I think there is a lot of talent here.

I think Docherty and E Hollands will pinch hit and be a part of the wing rotations as well as onball rotations.

On Ball
Our challenge isn't talent with this group but getting the two way run and pace improved. I rate our onball group quite highly but there are a few sides out there who bother us in this area. Collingwood and Brisbane being the main ones, who's speed and agility appear to be a problem for us at times and Adelaide have as well. Do we go up a level? I think we do.

We have Kennedy, Cripps and Hewett in ripping condition at the moment. A little improvement in their running goes a long way. Walsh and Cerra in good condition. Walsh missed last preseason. I think Docherty goes in there a lot as well. What we gain this season is the rotations.

E Hollands I think will be rotating into the middle a lot. Probably 50/50. This means guys like Cripps, Cerra, Walsh and Docherty change with him regularly in the forward line.

2022 Brownlow medal level Cripps was rotating forward and kicking goals. Then he wasn't. I want to see that come back. Cerra was going forward at Fremantle and kicking goals. I want to see that. Docherty has been training at half forward. We know he has a good onball and win game. So he and E Hollands probably unlock those forward rotations here.

The ruck is a tricky one. I can see TDK and Pitto rucking together. I think TDK is the most important player on the list at the moment. IMO he's had his first two consecutive preseasons now. He was so so good at the end of last season. I'm really excited about what he brings as a forward and as a ruck. But don't be surprised if TDK is the number one ruck if McKay takes to the role. Most sides have the second big forward rucking and are choosing to go smaller and more mobile.

Forwards
What is there not to love about the forwards? McKay and Curnow are Coleman quality key forwards. DeKoning is one of the best up and coming forward/rucks.

Fantasia, he's having a good preseason. He's quick, enduring and a very high quality player. We should be excited about having him. Martin fit is just sublime. Motlop is due. He's just due, if he isn't we have others. E Hollands. I think we have snagged a good player at the right time of their career.

Do we have enough rotations with the mids? I'd like to see two. Hollands will go in there. Docherty probably will so there are two. Could Motlop? Fantasia has at times and so has Martin but being injury prone may not.

I think the sub for us will be really important being a forward here. Someone who can go on the ball would be ideally. Cuningham? Durdin? Cottrell to rotate with the wings and forwards?

The Sub
Most will pick the next best footballer which is Hewett. I'm picking a forward. This gives us the option of changing the structure from three tall forwards to two. Sub Pittonet out and put DeKoning into the ruck. Or if a mid goes down then E Hollands and Docherty take more midfield minutes and are replaced by a forward. If a defender goes down Docherty moves out of the forward/mid role to defence.

We have outstanding depth in our forward department. Which forward? Hard to say. Lots of good cases for Durdin, Cottrell, Owies, Fogarty and Cuningham. Then there is Moir who could come on at some stage.

The sub also needs to be an impact player. In the past picking slower inside mids as subs (Curnow, Hewett, Kennedy) has been our thing and it has never worked IMO. Someone with legs peed and good skills who can hurt the opposition and make things happen. Someone who can come into that forward line and release a Hollands or a Docherty or a DeKoning to another position/role.

Picking a small forward in that team means we can cover any injury to a small on any part of the ground. It means we can bring a good quality impact player into the game. It means we can change structure by taking Pittonet out, going with McKay as second ruck and TDK in the ruck with a faster, smaller forward line.

It just works.

Definitely the best depth and talent Ive seen us have in a long time. 2024 is going to be exciting!

Just out of curiosity... no Weiters or E Hollands are there until round 3. Brissy also have 2 big forwards and Big O who likes a goal. Who do you replace them with for rounds 0 and 1?

Elaborating on what I said earlier, here's a team I think we will go with and how it works.

Backline
I love the mobility and the run but the intercept marking ability that is also there. There is speed and endurance but also rotations. You want all your small backs to be able to play back pocket and HBF so they can rotate. We don't want guys stuck on the flank doing a lot of hard running all game because the pockets aren't fit enough or good enough to play up the ground. In finals last year we were down to Saad as our only prime two way running AFL level back flanker with Boyd doing an admirable job on the other flank, Newman doing his usual and Cincotta struggling after a long run in his first AFL preseason.

What I love is knowing Saad, Boyd, Williams and Newman can all play half back and back pocket and will be rotating and keeping each other fresh.

What I also love is Marchbank and McGovern. They read the game so well and intercept mark but they also bring flanker level leg speed. Marchbank brings two way run. We saw just how much he likes to get involved in the break and chaines of play after the turnover after no preseason and years off. He used to play wing for us at times. He's had his first preseason in so long, he adds another runner to our half back line as well as a key position player. McGovern fitter than ever brings the same thing.

A thing we may see later in the season is Williams rotating through the middle, perhaps with Docherty. But I think that is a thought that we just hold expectations on as well. Speaking of Williams, here is a talented footballer who came to us from GWS lacking conditioning and fitness. Last preseason he got himself in ripping condition only to go down with a knee. This season the AFL world gets to see him at a level of conditioning he has never been at before.

Midfield
Wings
Acres is one of the game's better wingers and it's great to have him. Hollands is one of the games up and comers. Wing is a tough role that takes a lot of hard work, patience and good positioning for mixed results when it comes to reward. I think we will see Docherty rotate through the wings at times and Cottrell if he is in the side. Binns will be pushing hard for selection for this position as well. I really like our wings. I think there is a lot of talent here.

I think Docherty and E Hollands will pinch hit and be a part of the wing rotations as well as onball rotations.

On Ball
Our challenge isn't talent with this group but getting the two way run and pace improved. I rate our onball group quite highly but there are a few sides out there who bother us in this area. Collingwood and Brisbane being the main ones, who's speed and agility appear to be a problem for us at times and Adelaide have as well. Do we go up a level? I think we do.

We have Kennedy, Cripps and Hewett in ripping condition at the moment. A little improvement in their running goes a long way. Walsh and Cerra in good condition. Walsh missed last preseason. I think Docherty goes in there a lot as well. What we gain this season is the rotations.

E Hollands I think will be rotating into the middle a lot. Probably 50/50. This means guys like Cripps, Cerra, Walsh and Docherty change with him regularly in the forward line.

2022 Brownlow medal level Cripps was rotating forward and kicking goals. Then he wasn't. I want to see that come back. Cerra was going forward at Fremantle and kicking goals. I want to see that. Docherty has been training at half forward. We know he has a good onball and win game. So he and E Hollands probably unlock those forward rotations here.

The ruck is a tricky one. I can see TDK and Pitto rucking together. I think TDK is the most important player on the list at the moment. IMO he's had his first two consecutive preseasons now. He was so so good at the end of last season. I'm really excited about what he brings as a forward and as a ruck. But don't be surprised if TDK is the number one ruck if McKay takes to the role. Most sides have the second big forward rucking and are choosing to go smaller and more mobile.

Forwards
What is there not to love about the forwards? McKay and Curnow are Coleman quality key forwards. DeKoning is one of the best up and coming forward/rucks.

Fantasia, he's having a good preseason. He's quick, enduring and a very high quality player. We should be excited about having him. Martin fit is just sublime. Motlop is due. He's just due, if he isn't we have others. E Hollands. I think we have snagged a good player at the right time of their career.

Do we have enough rotations with the mids? I'd like to see two. Hollands will go in there. Docherty probably will so there are two. Could Motlop? Fantasia has at times and so has Martin but being injury prone may not.

I think the sub for us will be really important being a forward here. Someone who can go on the ball would be ideally. Cuningham? Durdin? Cottrell to rotate with the wings and forwards?

The Sub
Most will pick the next best footballer which is Hewett. I'm picking a forward. This gives us the option of changing the structure from three tall forwards to two. Sub Pittonet out and put DeKoning into the ruck. Or if a mid goes down then E Hollands and Docherty take more midfield minutes and are replaced by a forward. If a defender goes down Docherty moves out of the forward/mid role to defence.

We have outstanding depth in our forward department. Which forward? Hard to say. Lots of good cases for Durdin, Cottrell, Owies, Fogarty and Cuningham. Then there is Moir who could come on at some stage.

The sub also needs to be an impact player. In the past picking slower inside mids as subs (Curnow, Hewett, Kennedy) has been our thing and it has never worked IMO. Someone with legs peed and good skills who can hurt the opposition and make things happen. Someone who can come into that forward line and release a Hollands or a Docherty or a DeKoning to another position/role.

Picking a small forward in that team means we can cover any injury to a small on any part of the ground. It means we can bring a good quality impact player into the game. It means we can change structure by taking Pittonet out, going with McKay as second ruck and TDK in the ruck with a faster, smaller forward line.

It just works.
Love your posts

But, I think you may be over stating our two-way running deficiency.

Yes, we have had that in the past; but, just look at the best 22 you’ve posted - there’s a lot of running power and btw who would you consider slow?
Crippa, Hewett, Pitto & Newman? That’s not many really

Definitely the best depth and talent Ive seen us have in a long time. 2024 is going to be exciting!

Just out of curiosity... no Weiters or E Hollands are there until round 3. Brissy also have 2 big forwards and Big O who likes a goal. Who do you replace them with for rounds 0 and 1?
Durdin & Fog

I think to be best 22 Durdin needs to either increase his goal output to compete with the likes of Motlop and Fanta or be able to push up the ground and pressure more to compete with Fog, Cotts, Cunners (He does tackle hard and can pressure but doesn't do it for as long as Fog and Cotts can).

Right now he's kind of stuck in no man's land where he can fulfill both roles ok but doesn't tick either box well enough to be in the side.

If he doesn't start the season in the 1s I'd love to see him get some mid time in the VFL to add more strings to his bow. I could see him doing that Fogarty role but with more goals once developed.

I rate CDurdin and his stats really aren’t far off Motlop’s. I love his pressure and he has kicked some awesome goals. I’m hoping he can be 100% fit and show the AFL world he’s got it. Still so young too currently at 21

It depends how you look at the stats. Motlop kicked 2+ goals 6 times in his last 9 games in 2023. That is the same amount Durds has kicked 2+ goals in his whole career.

If Mots can continue that form into 2024 we have a heck of a player. Reckon he is a little underrated. Durds hasn't shown he can be at that level yet, though as you said it's still very early for him.

It depends how you look at the stats. Motlop kicked 2+ goals 6 times in his last 9 games in 2023. That is the same amount Durds has kicked 2+ goals in his whole career.

If Mots can continue that form into 2024 we have a heck of a player. Reckon he is a little underrated. Durds hasn't shown he can be at that level yet, though as you said it's still very early for him.
I have Motlop ahead and with a higher ceiling, but Durdin brings a lot. And you’re right about the 2+ goal games Motlop brought in the back end of 2023. If they were 1 goal games I’d suggest many people would have Durdin slightly ahead.

Both young and both could really make a huge difference for us this year. Very glad we have them both. But I really like Durdin and some of the goals he has kicked so far in his early career have been super. I think a lot of people are forgetting how pumped we all were for Durdin in 2022 in what was only his 2nd year. The boy has it and if fit will be very damaging

C.Durdin is a bit of a myth at the moment. I think he will need to improve a fair bit if he wants to play regular AFL footy in 2024. He is very talented but imo doesn’t really excel anywhere and goes missing far too often (though he is not alone there).

He is behind Fantasia, Owies and Motlop as a pure goal sneak.
Likely behind Fogarty as the pressure small.
Doesn’t have the productivity to play off HFF like Cottrell, Hollands, Cuningham.

Very important year for Durds. Will need to take his chance when it comes as competition is hot.
Injury is the only thing that has prevented him from showing his talent, he has the same upside as Mots does…

Said this before - the 2 small forward spots are anyone's.....

All have merit.

One must presume a fit Fantasia is a walk up to start with - too much pedigree & proven quality....

Then the choice between Owies, Durds and Mots - super tough.

Agree that Fogarty is competing with E. Hollands/Cotts/Cuners....
Difference of opinion Fogs is competing with the first group
Elijah Hollande is a medium forward and on another level…

Backs: Kemp, Weitering, McGovern and Newman - Those are my lock defenders, they're not running up into the midfielder a heap.

Half backs: Saad, Williams, Boyd and Docherty - Those are the guys that can push up to the contest and at times allow those small forward/Wingers to do the defensive running.

Wingers - Acres, Hollands and Cottrell

Midfielders - Cripps, Cerra, Walsh and Hewett - The grunt work of the midfield.

Ruck - TDK and Pittonet - I think if Pittonet goes down, then I would be training Harry to be a mobile ruck.

Small forwards - Motlop, Durdin - These guys really have to move into the midfield at times and do some defensive running to cover mids/hbf moving forward. This to me is all about pressure at the contest. I would not mind finding a Fogarty replacement. I am hoping a Hollands/Fantasia/Wilson/Binns could be that player.

Forwards - Curnow, McKay, Martin

Backs: Kemp, Weitering, Newman
Half Backs: Saad, McGovern, Boyd
Midfield: O Hollands, Walsh, Acres
Half Forwards: Motlop, McKay, Cottrell
Forwards: Durdin, Curnow, Martin
Followers: TDK, Cripps, Cerra
Int: Pittonet, Hewett, Williams, Docherty

Guys that should be pressuring
Marchbank, Binns, Fantasia, E Hollands, Cowan, Cinncotta

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backs: Kemp, Weitering, McGovern and Newman - Those are my lock defenders, they're not running up into the midfielder a heap.

Half backs: Saad, Williams, Boyd and Docherty - Those are the guys that can push up to the contest and at times allow those small forward/Wingers to do the defensive running.

Wingers - Acres, Hollands and Cottrell

Midfielders - Cripps, Cerra, Walsh and Hewett - The grunt work of the midfield.

Ruck - TDK and Pittonet - I think if Pittonet goes down, then I would be training Harry to be a mobile ruck.

Small forwards - Motlop, Durdin - These guys really have to move into the midfield at times and do some defensive running to cover mids/hbf moving forward. This to me is all about pressure at the contest. I would not mind finding a Fogarty replacement. I am hoping a Hollands/Fantasia/Wilson/Binns could be that player.

Forwards - Curnow, McKay, Martin

Backs: Kemp, Weitering, Newman
Half Backs: Saad, McGovern, Boyd
Midfield: O Hollands, Walsh, Acres
Half Forwards: Motlop, McKay, Cottrell
Forwards: Durdin, Curnow, Martin
Followers: TDK, Cripps, Cerra
Int: Pittonet, Hewett, Williams, Docherty

Guys that should be pressuring
Marchbank, Binns, Fantasia, E Hollands, Cowan, Cinncotta

No Kennedy LM?

After 2022, we identified a lack of run. Went and got Acres and Hollands and played both immediately.

After 2023, we identified a lack of scoring power from those not named Charlie or Harry. Went and got Fantasia, EH and drafted Moir for the future. That says to me that some of 2023's incumbents are not going to play. You don't bring blokes to your club to not play. We offered an extra year to beat off other clubs to get Fantasia.

Ignoring the backline for the moment, we almost certainly have the following definites:

Mid (x8): Pitto, TDK, Cripps, Cerra, Walsh, Acres, ?, ?

Fwd (x7): Charlie, Harry, Martin, EH, Fantasia, ?, ?

You would assume Doc will play, so that leaves 3 spots. Where he plays dictates whether Hollands plays as a winger, or we pick another forward.

My assumption would be that we pick one of the inside mids (Kennedy or Hewett), one of the small forwards (long list of options) and one of the elite running brigade (Hollands or Cotts). Hollands and Cotts can both start the season due to EH missing the first 2.

I have no idea who the extra small forward will be and it will vary depending on opposition. Sometimes it's not all about goals, but the ability to shut down a bloke like Coleman who shredded us in the prelim.

Backline

Midfield
Wings

On Ball

Forwards

The Sub

It just works.
Only diff from my best 22 is Hewett for Kennedy, but only form and fitness will govern which one goes around week to week.

I think Kennedy and Hewett play in the same team
Mmmm..

It was when the MC bit the bullet and played just the 4 star mids, just after mid year, is when we look better balanced and started the finals run last year.

Not sure they will play together too much from now on if the big 5 mids available, especially as Elijah on the scene now.

They did play in the same Dees final win but only when MK played predominantly as a marking forward to cover Harry.

Injuries and suspension aside, looks like Owies is going to struggle to play consistently this year given the depth of small forwards we now have.

Makes for a more dynamic forward line with Martin, Mots, Durdin, fantasia, Hollands, cunners, etc. supporting Charles and Harry.

Mmmm..

It was when the MC bit the bullet and played just the 4 star mids, just after mid year, is when we look better balanced and started the finals run last year.

Not sure they will play together too much from now on if the big 5 mids available, especially as Elijah on the scene now.

They did play in the same Dees final win but only when MK played predominantly as a marking forward to cover Harry.

I think that was more around injuries rather than a focus on what type of player was required

I can't see Kennedy or Hewett missing our first game

I think Durdin or Young replace Weitering and it probably comes down to the fitter one and who has been doing the better job in match sim, both are good options. I get the feeling Durdin would get first crack if fit. They will come in and stick to Daniher or their ruck when he changes with Daniher like glue. Marchbank will go with the second tall forward, in Brisbane that's Hipwood.

Young or Durdin to take on Lynch in the second game. Job is to just stick to him like glue, nothing complicated.

Cottrell probably comes in for E Hollands. He's that hard running half forward who can rotate through the wings. Cuningham maybe as he can rotate through the middle.

Best depth since 1995? We had White, Hamill, de lulio, Beaumont, Allen, Cook, Heaver, Lynn, Gleeson, Mitchell and Bond as notable depth that season. Depth was ok in 2000 but the list was old and the depth wasn't this quality. I think our current depth is better than either seasons.

That's a really strong side and yet I think a couple more are very much in the mix

With Elijah missing first game, i think one of Cottrell or Hewett will come in, the other will be the sub

And still some strong emergencies

There are so many hands up. You look at who it out of that team, the back 6 is very good. Same can be said for the forward 7. One or two good players on the ball and wings.

Love your posts

But, I think you may be over stating our two-way running deficiency.

Yes, we have had that in the past; but, just look at the best 22 you’ve posted - there’s a lot of running power and btw who would you consider slow?
Crippa, Hewett, Pitto & Newman? That’s not many really

The two way running deficiency is very real and the cause for the problem we keep crashing into where we are either a defensive side or an offensive side but against the better sides we struggle to be both. We saw that in finals where we were mostly in defensive gear. It keeps popping up. Our ball movement remains an issue and it's the core reason for it.

We are a defensively minded side most of the time. Something we did to turn our season around was allow some of our slower mids to stay forward of the ball, it allowed us to move the ball and attack better but come finals it was defend first footy.

Newman is one of our better two way runners. Pittonet tends to make pretty good position. Cripps is your old fashion centreman who doesn't go far from the centre square which is fine, most sides have one, problem is we often have 3 with Hewett and Kennedy, who will either position defensively and fall back inside D50 or position offensively and stay forward of the ball more. They don't have the pace to get up the ground at speed to be an offensive number if they are dropping back behind the ball and positioning defensively.

The other issue is closing speed around the contest. That ability to close quickly on the ball whether loose or in opposition's hands to keep our opponent under high level pressure consistently isn't always there. It's something Collingwood have been elite in and Richmond when they were winning flags. Brisbane in the first game will be a real test for this.

In the prelim we also lost two way run from our forward and back flanks. That I am not worried about, won't see that again.

I think if Cerra, Docherty and Walsh are fit we don't have too much problem here as they have pace and endurance. Will be hoping that Carroll comes on this season, we will need him at times. It will be interesting to see what E Hollands brings to the side, I think he's going to bring a lot and the talk is that Kennedy is fitter and running better so we may not have much problem here.

I think you need to be one of the top 2 or 3 outside teams to win the flag. I think we are getting mighty close.

Who would you drop out of this? Pitto and ruck McKay? I think there is a good chance both play round 1. Though the players we will be missing are Weitering and Hollands. Not sure either are going to fill the Hollands forward/mid role. Neither are forward in my eyes. Neither make great subs, I think that it should be one of the forwards, but I reckon it won't be. Cottrell or Cuningham maybe. It's a hard one. Us Carlton supporters aren't used to having depth like this.

The backline and forward line you can make up from the missing players is amazing. The midfield, is not as deep bit it's in progress. One of these mids miss or Hewett misses. leaves guys like Binns, Carroll and Wilson in the VFL developing.

Only diff from my best 22 is Hewett for Kennedy, but only form and fitness will govern which one goes around week to week.
I've never been able to pick between the two. Kennedy is great in the air around the ground. Hewett is better at ground level and as a pure mid. Kennedy is a much better kick. Both quality centremen. Probably a little unlucky for both we have one of the best Centremen in the game.

Last edited:
Maybe for the first two rounds. Elijah Hollands is a shiny new toy and a genuine hybrid who can play 60/40 forward/mid.
Our options are almost criminal.

I have been a Kennedy fan since before his draft. So very rapt when we acquired him. He has struggled for continuity and has also had some unwarranted negative bias particularly during the Teague years. Spent some time in the twos when a senior berth was warranted.

Think he somewhat learned to “coast” at 80-90% effort (like many others). Not conscious slacking, but a lack of awareness of the importance of that few percent extra. His best is irrepressible, not just as a mid. Brings so much with his marking prowess around the ground. An excellent kick, including in front of the big sticks, Chugga just adds dimensions, while bringing as much to the “coalface” as most or all of his team mates. Intelligent and a willing “one percenter” willing and able to block for his mates. His ground coverage is undersold by many. He presents better defensively than Hewett and his skipper.

George is the ultimate competitor. I don’t think anyone would accuse him of not putting in each week. Lacking the ability to cover big kilometres and focussed his efforts around the contest. His biggest weakness is his limited spread, which exacerbates defensively. His work in close is a thing of “beauty”, but does it offer as much as our other midfield candidates? We have clearly recruited for improved run over the last couple of off seasons. I struggle to see how his inside presence stacks up against the more rounded Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy, Docherty and Hollands in the midfield.

You won’t find me denigrating George, but I see the others in front of him for so many reasons. While the skipper is fit in our midfield, I see George the most expendable in our engine room.

I always have an eye to the future, looking at list management with a holistic present and future approach. Our list is stacked, anyone delisted or traded in the foreseeable future will be hard done by. There won’t be room for sentiment. The Hawks flicking Mitchell, and the Pies Adams are examples where seemingly entrenched types are going to be moved to ensure the team keeps developing.

George has a chronic back issue, which has been reduced to a management issue rather than a prospect for corrective surgery. With other like the Hollands boys, even forgotten Carrol and eventually Wilson and at least one Compo twin to come, we are unlikely to keep all of our ageing mids. I was surprised when we signed George, thinking he would be passed by a few during his contract with organic development. I dismissed it as having a fall back with his ability to play in defence. We haven’t seen George in the backline during his time with us. We have recruited a number of defensive options, with all of them having good to great speed and agility. I no longer see George as a defender in his twilight.

A club great in Docherty, now has been pushed to a utility role. A hybrid, Mr. Fixit while others are developed long term in their prime spots. For Doc to be viewed that way, it sends a message to a decent group of 28 and older player on the list who are going to come to their end in the “foreseeable” future. Most are best 22 or thereabouts. I struggle to see George with his chronic condition being on the list beyond his current contract which expires at the end of ‘25.

George will play plenty of senior football in 2024. Logic has me questioning if he will stay a walk up starter. I prefer Kennedy and the logic suggested above will possibly sway our match committee (IMO).

Our “senior” brigade is

Newman (contracted ’25) is 31, but in career best form.

Docherty (contracted ‘25) is 30 and still a force, but no longer has a set, designated role. Allowing others to develop.

Saad (contracted ‘25) at 29 with a late season birthday remains a staple. Durable, but the end will come quickly. The type to tough out niggles, but I suspect will reach a point when he can’t and needs his speed and step.

Williams (contracted ‘26) at 29 has a contract and the desire. If his body holds up, will surely play out his contract.

McGovern (contracted ‘25) at 29 has found a new maturity off field and is preparing better than he ever has. I would have backed him to be gone, but his contract year was a turn around. Needs to maintain the rage and stay on the park. His “successor” is already on the list and ready to go, so his motivation should be high.

Martin (contracted this year only) at 29 has proven his value to the team. Has to stay on the park consistently for a decent contract extension for mine. Elijah Hollands, Moir and Monahan all very likely medium forward options perhaps reduce his criticality and therefore alter the acceptable risk of extension. Needs a solid year with the “squeeze”.

Cripps (contracted ‘27) Turns 29 soon and has a battered body. No risk he will be around for four more years, hopefully his body allows him to play near current levels throughout. May affect contracts of others significantly (see Hewett)

Acres (contracted ‘25) 28 Covers massive ground week in week out. A revelation and athletically gifted. The like of Dutchy, Cotts, Binns, Wilson and almost certainly one or both Camporeale(s) will apply pressure in coming years. Hard to see him being pushed out for a few years. A vital cog presenting and outnumbering around the ground. I was a fan from his drafting and welcomed the signing, but admit even I undersold his value.

Hewett (contracted ‘25) At 28 is not “old”, but his body is compromised and likely degenerative. He will give his all on and off the ground to maintain and extend his career. I have doubts what his future brings, but genuinely wish him all the best despite my analytical side raising real questions.

Pittonet (contracted ‘27) and ”Nigel” Durdin (out of contract) head the 27 year olds with physical issues. Pitto cops unwarranted criticism and is heart and soul, but seems a long term “managed” player. Most see TDK becoming the main man, but Pitto remains integral to the top team while no mature back ups are available for “King”.

Big Durds is the perfect fall back option for the top team while being a great mentor in the twos. If he could put the soft tissue dramas behind would be great to keep as a rookie for a few more years, particularly when we draft our next kPD to develop. Spots, even on the rookie list are a premium so needs to stay on the park to be ready to step up when needed.

Injuries and suspension aside, looks like Owies is going to struggle to play consistently this year given the depth of small forwards we now have.

Makes for a more dynamic forward line with Martin, Mots, Durdin, fantasia, Hollands, cunners, etc. supporting Charles and Harry.
Owies is likely up against it, but not sure if I would put Cunners in the group in front of him.

I am waiting to see if Fantasia being recruited trumpets a lack of confidence in the output of our mature small forward options. With Hollands traded in and Moir drafted as well, we surely have the desire to “upgrade” our forward half.

Big Durds is the perfect fall back option for the top team while being a great mentor in the twos. If he could put the soft tissue dramas behind would be great to keep as a rookie for a few more years, particularly when we draft our next kPD to develop. Spots, even on the rookie list are a premium so needs to stay on the park to be ready to step up when needed.
Big Durds, the perfect full back fall back option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back