List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd for me is your traditional run and carry wingman. I think he & McInerney need to be our wing duo for the foreseeable future with Gulden spending more time inside* and Campbell being a TBD. The player I actually reckon fits the bill of what you've described would be Jordon. He's shown potential to negate opponents, has a great tank to work up and down the ground, and has shown glimpses of nous around goal. Horse is also on record as having said that he sees potential for Jordon on a forward flank.

*Not saying I want this, I've just heard it's a fait accompli.
I like this, the Jordon part (not the Errol bit but take your point!)

The two factors that make me think retaining Hayward is going to be difficult are the fact he's been in our top 25% of earners, and the level of opposition interest.

If he wasn't in our top 25% of earners, he'd possibly have lower expectations of what he could and should reasonably be offered this year. Instead with so many at the club surpassing him, if he is to stay a Swan he'd very likely have to take a substantial decrease. It'd be a big ask to do that when...

...there are clubs seemingly very keen to get him, and, presumably, pay him to do so. It then also becomes a point of it being hard for the club to say no to offers such as the rumoured two first-rounders.

Shaping to be a classic case of other clubs needing Hayward more than we do.
Reckon Haywood leaving could be one of those instances where performance wise both club and player go back, but bank balance wise both go forwards

He'll stay but they need to significantly increase his pay. Not currently in top 10 apparently.
I'm not sure whether someone is in the Top 10 in the year that they are eligible for RFA (if they are) says as much as some take it for.

Just because the likes of Hewett, Hayward were/are in the Top 10 in a particular year, doesn't mean they were/are consistently in the Top 10. Just because Florent isn't in the Top 10 this year, doesn't mean this was the year he got paid the most.

Gut feeling tells me we'll either lose both Hayward and Florrent or keep them both. Not 1 or the other

No losing both would make us a lot weaker ideally as you enter your window you do not want to lose players in their age profile.

I still dont understand how or why we have to shed players while Carlton/Brisbane just keep adding.

No losing both would make us a lot weaker ideally as you enter your window you do not want to lose players in their age profile.

I still dont understand how or why we have to shed players while Carlton/Brisbane just keep adding.
We could easily lose both if Florent's offer isn't good enough. But most likely we keep O Flo.
Gut feel just says to me that they'll both leave together. Or they'll stay

One hundred percent this. I know we have a young talented list but is it that far ahead of any of the top teams..
I just don't understand how we have gone from being in the market for Naughton or Mckay one year with huge contracts to being at capacity again.
Whats changed soo much. Surely its not on the back of Grundy Adams Jordan..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly this. This board seems too comfortable with losing or "squeezing" players out. Players like Paddy Dow should get squeezed..... not players who are 25 and get selected every game when fit.

Swans are very disciplined in not paying overs to keep players. I think the value Swans have put on Haywood is significantly lower than Haywood’s market value. Swans know they can replace Haywood and get 80-90% output from a 30-50% cheaper player and invest the cap space elsewhere. And if Haywood chooses to go, we can’t blame him and Swans will wish him well.

Swans are very disciplined in not paying overs to keep players. I think the value Swans have put on Haywood is significantly lower than Haywood’s market value. Swans know they can replace Haywood and get 80-90% output from a 30-50% cheaper player and invest the cap space elsewhere. And if Haywood chooses to go, we can’t blame him and Swans will wish him well.
And we develop

Would you rather be running out with this team

B: N.Blakey, T.McCartin, L.Melican
HB: H.Cunningham, O.Florent, J.Lloyd
C: E.Gulden, Ch.Warner, J.McInerney
HF: J.Jordon, L.McDonald, T.Adams
F: T.Papley - C, J.Amartey, W.Hayward
FOLL: B.Grundy, I.Heeney, J.Rowbottom
I/C: R.Fox, M.Roberts, S.Wicks, H.McLean, B.Campbell

or this team?

B: N.Blakey, T.McCartin, L.Melican
HB: N.Newman, A.Aliir, J.Lloyd
C: E.Gulden, Ch.Warner, J.McInerney
HF: S.Wicks, L.McDonald, M.Roberts
F: T.Papley - C, J.Amartey, W.Hayward
FOLL: Nankervis, I.Heeney, J.Rowbottom
I/C: R.Fox, H.Cunningham, G.Hewett, H.McLean, B.Campbell

It’s unsettling how quite a few are quite ok with Florent and Hayward being shipped out because we can just bring a similar player in. These guys are just entering their prime and cannot just be replaced by whoever we chase. If we’re even lucky enough to land the player we’re chasing.

Heeney and Gulden and Warner may get everyone excited but it’s the next level of players that win flags. The players who don’t get the accolades or have the media gushing over them, but nevertheless contribute every single week. Sometimes in ways that aren’t immediately obvious to the average supporter.

If you want to finally win another flag then guys like Florent and Hayward are critical. If you’re ok with us just making prelims or getting embarrassed in another grand final then no worries, we can just keep leaking quality 25 y/o players and then bemoan how good they look for another team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back