Prediction 2024 Fixture Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Straight sets is still a top 6 finish, losing an EF is middle 6.
God, refresh your page some time. I deleted that an hour before you replied to it (after doing the later post breaking down the "easiness" of schedules vs bottom/middle/top status)! :p

IMO the hard draw is GREAT.

Go back and look at our problems the last few years. It's the "gimme" games that we struggle to get up for and we're good for two or three complete brainfades throughout the year. The harder the draw the less chances to drop games against a Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Fremantle, whatever.

God, refresh your page some time. I deleted that an hour before you replied to it (after doing the later post breaking down the "easiness" of schedules vs bottom/middle/top status)! :p
Unrefreshed pages really bring out the terroir of the poasts

IMO the hard draw is GREAT.

Go back and look at our problems the last few years. It's the "gimme" games that we struggle to get up for and we're good for two or three complete brainfades throughout the year. The harder the draw the less chances to drop games against a Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Fremantle, whatever.
I'm a bit in the same boat.

Everyone looks at the draw and assumes this or that before the season even starts. History shows 'easy' games don't often do good teams any favours. It's also hard to know what will be easy and what won't at this stage.

I'm a bit in the same boat.

Everyone looks at the draw and assumes this or that before the season even starts. History shows 'easy' games don't often do good teams any favours. It's also hard to know what will be easy and what won't at this stage.
Yes and clubs regularly come from outside the top 8 to into the top 4 from one season to the next so hard to know who is going to jump up... and fall down for that matter.

It is with a big FU to the Melbourne fans with how spread out it is. Have to wait about 6 weeks for the first game, followed by another 6 week gap and then a 2 month gap between games 3 and 4. Hard to get the next generation of Lions kids in Melbourne interested if this is the new normal. Does the club even fight for this and wasn’t there some merger agreement of 6!games down there or am I mistaken?
Always an issue with playing games in Melbourne.
This year at least you got 6 games. Then not having to travel to the grand final was a bonus.
This year only five games. Maybe some finals and hopefully again the GF.

Not sure how you would prefer the 5 games spread out.
No matter how you may prefer it done some others may not like it that way.
The issue of course has always been the club asks for 6 and mostly get only 5 with Geelong sometimes thrown in to appease some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except for the Ashcroft and Payne injuries we had a perfect set up to have a crack at it this year and didn't quite get there.

I'm fairly phlegmatic about things like the draw. I don't think it's any crucial factor as long as we're able to get that first home final.

There's a lot of games , many things happen ,in the end this year it came down to the last 5 minutes.

The key for us is to get home finals and have a reasonably fit and healthy list.

Personally I took this year a little hard because the competition's getting tougher and we had as good as an opportunity as we could expect.

Thats a myth if you ask me, compare our attendances when we were down, to the bottom Vic teams at the time (in games vs interstate teams), they aren't all that different.
You were talking about filling the Gabba for 10 games though.
It would take very good form for that to happen

Except for the Ashcroft and Payne injuries we had a perfect set up to have a crack at it this year and didn't quite get there.

I'm fairly phlegmatic about things like the draw. I don't think it's any crucial factor as long as we're able to get that first home final.

There's a lot of games , many things happen ,in the end this year it came down to the last 5 minutes.

The key for us is to get home finals and have a reasonably fit and healthy list.

Personally I took this year a little hard because the competition's getting tougher and we had as good as an opportunity as we could expect.
The bolded goes for every club.

Yes I expect 2024 to be very tough, the clubs I can see improving substantially are the Crows, Giants, Suns and Swans.

Having a guess to fall out of the top 8 would be Saints, every other top 8 side from last year I can't see dropping off although historically at least a couple will.

In a few years and in hindsight 2023 could end up being the best chance at a flag this current core group of players ever got.

Fox Sports analysis- Grade: D-
Analysis: On the plus side, the three other preliminary finalists all have to come and play at the Gabba next year. On the negative side, that’s because they play two of 2023’s preliminary finalists twice, plus two games against Melbourne, plus two against finalist St Kilda, plus two against near-finalist Adelaide... there’s no other way to put it, this is a brutal set of double-ups. Combine that with a bizarre mix of home and away trips, which will see the Lions fly to WA twice and SA three times across the course of the season, and this is a damn tricky draw. They’ve still got the best home ground advantage in the comp, and if they’re winning at least eight or nine games at the Gabba, that’s a huge headstart for making the top four again. But that’s going to happen every year no matter what - in terms of what the AFL actually controls, the Lions have copped the short straw. At the extremes a tough fixture can make a team lose one extra game (via an accumulation of disadvantages) and they may be that team.

Yes and clubs regularly come from outside the top 8 to into the top 4 from one season to the next so hard to know who is going to jump up... and fall down for that matter.
It will be Crows and Suns up plus with Giants, Dees and Pies, we’ll go close to having 5 of the 7 - not including us if we make it - and the Saints who made the 8 probably the weakest team of the double ups and may make it.

Seems most teams got at least one to two soft double ups but not us.

Can’t help but think the AFL were quite deliberate with ensuring we had the hardest teams of whatever group of six they were matching us against.

And again for sad for my Melbourne family who were stuffed again with teams with next to no Melbourne fans getting more games. It really does stink but hardly surprising.

Really pleased we are not playing in Tasmania, Ballarat or Geelong!
Underrated feature - good point given how often we get sent to Shitsville to play games. Inconvenient, risky and substandard.

Instagram post by fox footy says we've got the hardest draw. Lots of tough games on the road + only two games at the 'G. Personally I'm disappointed that the team isn't coming to Sydney this year - Canberra is just a bridge too far.

Our double ups are doozy's to say the least. Each one of those teams could give us a bloody nose on their day. On a positive note we've got plenty of prime time which is always good.

I personally would rather finish 4th with a tough draw and be absolutely battle hardened come finals time than finish 2nd with a soft draw and slip up in the finals. Last years GF loss + a tough draw this year means even if we finish 3/4 we are gonna be absolutely ready to go in september.

Yep, a lot of VIC teams are untouchable with there lack of travel yet we get 2xWA, 3xSA, 1xACT (Sydney fans burned again) and only 5xVIC including only two at the G.

Shame one each of those WA and SA games aren’t in VIC for our big fan base down there.

Also why do we get Hawks at Marvel; isn’t their home ground MCG?
I take offence to this. Perhaps more consideration to the long suffering WA supporters who have hardly seen their team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back