Prediction 2024 Fixture Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Interstate club makes a granny gets whacked as expected …. Just shows how a lost opportunity that game was.
I see you live in QLD so every other state should be an interstate to you. Why do you refer to yourself as an inter-stater. Such a victim, defeatist view.

Normally I'm a bit meh about the draw - there's always differences from the expected difficulty but I think the two WA trips are ... Unfair.

We have previously dropped a training day after the long trip. Big disruption, extra day away and less training. Shouldn't have to do it twice.

I take offence to this. Perhaps more consideration to the long suffering WA supporters who have hardly seen their team.
Take offence all you like but we our club is a merged club from clubs in Brisbane and Melbourne not a WA club so why shouldn’t preference be given of all non Brisbane markets to as many games as possible to our Melbourne market, you know where half our club originated from?

I see you live in QLD so every other state should be an interstate to you. Why do you refer to yourself as an inter-stater. Such a victim, defeatist view.
Huh what?? no that wasn't the angle I was playing. I was referring that because interstate teams generally travel every second week (which is totally fine) and we made the grand final we would get a tough draw as expected. You finish at the top end and for equalisation we get a tougher draw. My disappointment is that we couldn't pinch a cup and have the tougher draw. You get to see the lions twice... hooray for you, no one is trying to take that away from you or sook about it.

Looking at our first 4 Perth and Adelaide trips travel factor.

Coming into our round 1 game at Optus v the Dockers we have a 9 day break from our opening fixture v the Blues @ Gabba.... we then have a bye which gives us an 11 day break heading into the Easter Thursday gave v the Premiers.

Next is the Kangaroos in round 4 off a 8 day break v Magpies @ Gabba.... going into a game v Demons round 5 @ Gabba off a 6 day break.

Next is Crows in round 9 coming off a 7 day break from round 8 v Suns @ Gabba... going into a game v Tigers in round 10 @ Gabba off a 6 day break.

Next is Port in round 15 coming off a 8 day break v Saints @ Gabba.... going into a game v the Demons @ Gabba in round 16 which is a date and time TBC.

Decent breaks and we also have games before and after at the Gabba so not back to back travels, not much to complain about there IMO.

So its rough we got all the extra travel but they didnt double screw us with extra short breaks on that travel. Still the club will have to be smart about how we approach all the long trips. I'll make my early call about being smart about resting older/younger players from games around those trips - ie we shouldnt push to risk a guy like Zorko to play over in West Coast if he was playing the weeks before and after

Also I do think its good we are playing West Coast away. Too many years of us not playing them in Perth is stupid. The home/away balance we have against WC and Freo is nuts

So its rough we got all the extra travel but they didnt double screw us with extra short breaks on that travel. Still the club will have to be smart about how we approach all the long trips. I'll make my early call about being smart about resting older/younger players from games around those trips - ie we shouldnt push to risk a guy like Zorko to play over in West Coast if he was playing the weeks before and after

Also I do think its good we are playing West Coast away. Too many years of us not playing them in Perth is stupid. The home/away balance we have against WC and Freo is nuts
zorko and arguably neale are the two guys we should try manage through the year. unless neale wants to go to WA so he can see family id give him a week off against west coast for example

zorko and arguably neale are the two guys we should try manage through the year. unless neale wants to go to WA so he can see family id give him a week off against west coast for example

Strong disagree with managing Neale at this stage of his career. If you're winning the brownlow, you're unlikely to need to have your body managed.

Looking at our first 4 Perth and Adelaide trips travel factor.

Coming into our round 1 game at Optus v the Dockers we have a 9 day break from our opening fixture v the Blues @ Gabba.... we then have a bye which gives us an 11 day break heading into the Easter Thursday gave v the Premiers.

Next is the Kangaroos in round 4 off a 8 day break v Magpies @ Gabba.... going into a game v Demons round 5 @ Gabba off a 6 day break.

Next is Crows in round 9 coming off a 7 day break from round 8 v Suns @ Gabba... going into a game v Tigers in round 10 @ Gabba off a 6 day break.

Next is Port in round 15 coming off a 8 day break v Saints @ Gabba.... going into a game v the Demons @ Gabba in round 16 which is a date and time TBC.

Decent breaks and we also have games before and after at the Gabba so not back to back travels, not much to complain about there IMO
Good points. None of these breaks should be an excuse.

Huge bonus not going to Ballarat, Geelong or Tassie as they are such banana peel games for us.

If we are going to be contenders we will be very good at the gabba again. So let's just assume we drop 0-2 games there, it almost doesn't matter who we play there if it's anything like last year.

Meaning how hard our draw is, despite the media ratings, is 100% about how hard it is on the road and how tough it is in terms of breaks.

Only one 5 day break so far and our opponent also has a 5 day break. Giants play away week before the game, we play them away for the actual game, so that's about even.

As for the difficulty of away games:

Freo at Optus - they will probably be worse this year, we should be strong favourites
Melb at MCG - tough game but we know we can beat them there, depends how we are both going but probably 40/60 game to them if we are being realistic
Giants at manuka - interesting match, definitely tough but we are 2-0 at manuka so right in it, will be interesting to see if giants can keep momentum going, let's call it a 50/50 match and be pessimistic
Adelaide away - pretty tough game, maybe again a 40/60 to them
Hawks at docklands - not a great venue for them, strong faves
Dogs at docklands - a middling team really, we will be favourites i think
Port away - tough game BUT port are not automatic winners. Sadly i think they are much better during the day time, calling this a 40/60 game to them
west coast - should win
Suns - round 20 will they be going well or struggling by then? who knows. call it 50/50
saints - think they tread water, not an easy game but we should be faves
pies mcg - very tough obviously. can we hope for a premiership hangover by then? they are not a young side. again who knows but for now call it 40/60 to them

Some tough games here for sure. By my reckoning up to 6 games where we are starting underdog or 50/50.

The most likely path to top 2 is:

9-10 wins out of 11 at gabba
2-3 wins of the tough 6 games above
At least 5 wins of remaining away games

Gives us at least 16 wins which we got this year.

tassie would be way better than 2 trips to perth
I would probably swap a freo perth trip for hawks launceston in terms of what game we win. but it's close

def not eagles

i assumed once gather round was out we would not be playing north in hobart, and i'd much rather them at norwood than hobart, we nearly lost in hobart a few years ago

Strong disagree with managing Neale at this stage of his career. If you're winning the brownlow, you're unlikely to need to have your body managed.
You dont need to play every game to win the Brownlow. Neale even had a couple of down games when fitness/form were down this year. He is definitely fit enough to play every game and dominate but I'd rather have the whole team focus on what are the couple of things we can do a little bit better to take the extra step next year. Even if that means the whole team be a bit smarter on resting and recovery to be as fit as possible come finals.

If that means our 30 plus players miss a big travel game against an "easier" opponent then it should be considered. We should be looking at games like North in Adelaide or WC in Perth and considering if we need to play our best 22. We need to be mature about when to rest older/fatigued/injured/young players. I dont care if that means Neale/Danher/Cameron etc miss a one of game. Or we sub them out or play Zorko as a sub. Or we rest Fletcher or Wilmot or Kiddy. Resting senior players also lets us give etra game time to the twos who are hungry or the young guys who need senior game time

Trying to play the "best 22" every week for the whole year is not the smartest option. We need top find that 1-2% extra so that we dont lose a GF by less than a kick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell was our social media cheese board bit regarding our fixture??

We’re.. we’re not great in that space..
Adow GIF by A Discovery of Witches

I’m not an NFL guy, so it was the Tennessee Titans who did a schedule video where they interviewed people on the street asking them identify each team by their logo, and took the piss out of teams when randoms misidentified them, or some such malarkey.

Gold Coast, Freo and Sydney all did the same thing this year.

I’m not an NFL guy, so it was the Tennessee Titans who did a schedule video where they interviewed people on the street asking them identify each team by their logo, and took the piss out of teams when randoms misidentified them, or some such malarkey.

Gold Coast, Freo and Sydney all did the same thing this year.

Just like Melbourne and Canberra did for NRL this year also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back