Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they should make him do an education program and maybe some social work rather than ban him. Banning people often just makes people think that it's a woke agenda trying to arrest them for thought crimes.

Talking to someone who's experienced discrimination probably opens his eyes. Public shaming and banning him from games seems over the top and likely to divide public opinion, not bring everyone along.

Companies want to look progressive in the most superficial way possible and embarrassing a few bogans looks good without any real effort to change things.
I think he might be alluding to the difference between bad language and vilification and the dangers of putting the two in the same basket.
Thank god somebody gets it.

I remember one of his relatives used to post on here. Can't remember who it was unfortunately but it hits home how these are people's family and friends, not just footballers. Absolutely heart breaking.
It is so tragic.

It just goes to show what some of these poor blokes are going through, if a player who's been in two separate pro footy groups with all the support they offer still feels his best option is to end his life.

Words don't really do justice to how sad it is for him, his close circles, the AFL and society in general.

It is so tragic.

It just goes to show what some of these poor blokes are going through, if a player who's been in two separate pro footy groups with all the support they offer still feels his best option is to end his life.

Words don't really do justice to how sad it is for him, his close circles, the AFL and society in general.
Yeah unfortunately male suicide rates have had a sharp increase in the last few years. All preventable. It's a tragic epidemic.

Double header tonight, I've taken advantage. Beef brisket slowly cooking all day, chicken marinating in achiote and lime to be seared on the barby, a few sides ready to go, coriander slaw, pico de gallo amongst others. Yep you guessed it, Taco Friday el mofos!

Have a Cats fan and a Swans fan on the guest list along with a few others, so hoping Aliir and Esava will play a game for the ages and nullify Jez and keep Hawkins goalless for a fifth week running. Wouldn't that be grandioso. 🤔

To be followed by Freo beating the Swans so our victory over them next week will be all the sweeter. Arriba, abajo, el centro, pa' dentro!

And that's the unfortunate truth. No sympathy, no support services, no marching, no special AFL round for the multitude of preventable deaths. Nothing but callus disregard. Weak, expendable men.
Nothing to see here.
It's a difficult subject to talk about. I think as a society we don't really know how. It's still reported in a hush hush way in the news. There's a fear of copycats but as a result we end up not talking about it enough.

In footy terms Spuds Game is obviously a start, hopefully it leads to more.

It's a difficult subject to talk about. I think as a society we don't really know how. It's still reported in a hush hush way in the news. There's a fear of copycats but as a result we end up not talking about it enough.

Personally l don't believe that. Copycat stuff only effects those on the razor's edge anyway. But you're right, society is not able to discuss men's issues in any mature discourse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know the ins and outs of it. How is it all preventable?
It's a very very complex issue......and a very very sad one a lot of time.

Incredibly difficult to tackle all the time and a massive issue for society here and pretty well everywhere around d the planet.

It's a very very complex issue......and a very very sad one a lot of time.

Incredibly difficult to tackle all the time and a massive issue for society here and pretty well everywhere around d the planet.
It's not complex Watto. We view ourselves as expendable which is entrenched in our DNA. We just have to evolve and smarten up. Simples.

Newman with a Bumping action elbow to the head gets graded as low impact and a fine yet King and Windhager get medium impact and 1 week ... in all cases the players hit got straight up and played out the game without issue

Newman's action with the elbow perhaps more dangerous

Another clear case of rules for some ... rules for others

MRO is fkd

Newman with a Bumping action elbow to the head gets graded as low impact and a fine yet King and Windhager get medium impact and 1 week ... in all cases the players hit got straight up and played out the game without issue

Newman's action with the elbow perhaps more dangerous

Another clear case of rules for some ... rules for others

MRO is fkd
Any semblance of consistency they had from earlier in the year is long gone.

It's not complex Watto. We view ourselves as expendable which is entrenched in our DNA. We just have to evolve and smarten up. Simples.
I'll disagree with you there SD.

Over the years several of my friends have been affected by the "black dog"

It's a truly terrible place to be.

It's not a simple situation.

Surely the State Government will step in here and do something about the way this match is going.
The state govt just gave them $7mill for a new scoreboard and ripped out more out of cancer research to pay for it.

I'll disagree with you there SD.

Over the years several of my friends have been affected by the "black dog"

It's a truly terrible place to be.

It's not a simple situation.
Yeah been there too mate, the black dog is hard to shake.
Sorry I'm on an extended rant tonight. I've lost too many friends and had a gut-full of pissants pretending to be experts. Bout time people started admitting that things are significantly ****ed up.

It's getting better in terms of talking.

I'm listening to Richard Hammond's podcast with his daughter called Who We Are Now. He goes into the topics of masculinity and mental health.
This is the summary to better explain it
In 2006 Richard Hammond broke his brain. The high-speed jet-powered car he was piloting crashed at 319mph… and the thing that stopped the car from rolling? That was his head. Richard’s been on a journey of self-discovery and personal growth ever since, and now, he’s on a mission to demystify and destigmatise conversations around masculinity, mental health, and the issues that affect us all, in a bid to discover who we are now. Joined by his co-pilot and grown-up daughter Izzy, they’ll dive into the worlds of mid-life crisis’, what makes a modern man, how to raise daughters, and even question what it means to be a little shorter than average... Join Richard, Izzy and Dr Jim, as they try to figure out Who We Are Now.

Each week Richard and Izzy talk to a guest then there's an extra episode with Dr Jim Alvarez where he and Richard go through the psychology aspect of the last episode.
I've found it fascinating and in parts rather helpful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back