Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What are we giving up for him? That's the only question.
Wouldn't be surprised if we try and trade our F1 into this year and split that. Whether any club takes that is another question. Don't want to touch our top 4 (6) pick this year, still need elite talent.

Alternatively we could do a swap of F1s with the dogs plus a sweetener.

Could be very nervous going into 2025 without our first but if we have someone else's at least I can live with that.

It’s such a dumb article.

Baz isn’t making his decision based on who has the better draft pick.

As someone who is usually against the sabre-rattling of the PSD - for once we might have something here. If we do finish 17th then if we can somehow get Baz to put a price on his head that would negate Norf then it doesn't matter what Geelong/Collingwood offer - we can just walk him to the PSD.

As someone who is usually against the sabre-rattling of the PSD - for once we might have something here. If we do finish 17th then if we can somehow get Baz to put a price on his head that would negate Norf then it doesn't matter what Geelong/Collingwood offer - we can just walk him to the PSD.
I'd love it if he could just tell North no thanks as well

It's happening.

That’s terrible journalism. If North wants Smith does that mean they have the best offer so he will be traded there? The player has to agree to a trade, the player will select the club of their choice. No way the Dogs let him walk for nothing in the pre season draft so they will trade him to the club he selects.

And when we are bottom four next year and can't even look forward to the draft then what?
You are right we should do nothing…
First my point was most people seemed happy to trade our f1 for smith. Under my proposal that nets us smith and another top end talent. Second there are other ways to get back in. Melbourne have traded their f1 many times to get in and clearly understand the value of getting talent a year earlier into your system. We could also trade players for first or second round picks and package to get higher up. Maybe pick purchasing comes in. List management is not one dimensional.

I can see us splitting the pick, using one on Baz and keeping one.
What ever we do will feel too much at the time if we are parting with a top three pick, however I think it’s time to be bold. We can’t just expect to turn things around with a top 5 pick every year until Tassie come in.
It’s going to be tough either path we take.
Splitting a top three pick is not being bold. It’s basically lessening our chances of securing elite talent. Check the maths equation which has been done re probability of securing elite talent in top 10, first round etc.? The drop off after pick 5 is pretty startlingly percentage wise

No pick splitting, future first for Smith or GTFO

We need more truly elite talent not less, this will (very likely) be our first top 3 pick in this rebuild. Unless a team offers something stupid for it we should not even consider trading back.

Smith needs to be in addition to another elite prospect, not instead of.
Isn’t that exactly what I said?

Splitting a top three pick is not being bold. It’s basically lessening our chances of securing elite talent. Check the maths equation which has been done re probability of securing elite talent in top 10, first round etc.? The drop off after pick 5 is pretty startlingly percentage wise

Future first might be a top 3 pick too, but without another first coming back.

Not saying I think we should do it, just think that might be the only way to get Baz and a first round pick.

If he has committed to us the club will make it happen, and I can’t see another way.

Our future first could easily be another top 5 pick, no guarantees there.

Last edited:
Not saying I think we should do it, just think that might be the only way to get Baz and a first round pick.
If he has committed to us the club will make it happen, and I can’t see another way.
Yes keep all our first round picks and get smith in too…
Magic GIF by The Paley Center for Media

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are right we should do nothing…
First my point was most people seemed happy to trade our f1 for smith. Under my proposal that nets us smith and another top end talent. Second there are other ways to get back in. Melbourne have traded their f1 many times to get in and clearly understand the value of getting talent a year earlier into your system. We could also trade players for first or second round picks and package to get higher up. Maybe pick purchasing comes in. List management is not one dimensional.
I actually don't think Smith is a priority with our list makeup. A CHF and CHB is much more necessary. Don't get me wrong, I won't be unhappy with Smith, but not for a 1st round pick coming off a knee and 2 average years.

Another mid is the last thing we need. Especially without seeing if he has lost any place.
Another mid is exactly what we need, and what the footy dept and Sam have both said they wanted to add last trade period.

We need more zip and xfactor in the middle.

ACL’s aren’t the death knell they once were.

Another mid is exactly what we need, and what the footy dept and Sam have both said they wanted to add last trade period.

We need more zip and xfactor in the middle.

ACL’s aren’t the death knell they once were.
Negative. No way a mid over a CHF and a CHB

We do need more x factor in the midfield, but then again every single side would not say no to a gun midfielder, but the higher priority should be key position in defence and up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back