Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong is in front unfortunately.
Who Are You Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

No inside info here just a feeling I get.

I think Battle is a very big chance. There was a lot of talk that he was about to sign for 6 years with StKilda in March. It was as if it was a done deal (like many here had known about Scrimshaw's new contract for a few weeks that only confirmed in the last few days)

Back in March StKilda was certain he was going to sign, then end of March Ross Lyon says on TV that he's a free agent and Hawthorn have been trying to get him. And contract isn't signed. He's either just waiting it out to see what offers he can get at end of year, or he's decided he's leaving. StKilda have been desperate to sign him.

However, i'm not sure he's what we need. I know we are resisting playing Phillips now, but i'd imagine eventually we will want a big gorilla defender in the side like phillips or blank. All for having many athletic medium talls that can play tall, small and rebound, but think we still need 1 who can deal with a Tom Hawkins type who will isolate for a 1v1 wrestle in the goal square. Lake could do that and not just half contests but Win it.

I think Battle is a very big chance. There was a lot of talk that he was about to sign for 6 years with StKilda in March. It was as if it was a done deal (like many here had known about Scrimshaw's new contract for a few weeks that only confirmed in the last few days)

Back in March StKilda was certain he was going to sign, then end of March Ross Lyon says on TV that he's a free agent and Hawthorn have been trying to get him. And contract isn't signed. He's either just waiting it out to see what offers he can get at end of year, or he's decided he's leaving. StKilda have been desperate to sign him.

However, i'm not sure he's what we need. I know we are resisting playing Phillips now, but i'd imagine eventually we will want a big gorilla defender in the side like phillips or blank. All for having many athletic medium talls that can play tall, small and rebound, but think we still need 1 who can deal with a Tom Hawkins type who will isolate for a 1v1 wrestle in the goal square. Lake could do that and not just half contests but Win it.

Love everything in this post, but in regards to Hawkins, that type is a bit of a dying breed.

Jed Walter looks likely to be a beast, but the other rising key forwards are generally now dynamic athletes.

I'm thinking Cadman, Allen, Amiss, Marshall, Ugle-Hagen etc.

Having an athletic back 6 (much like GWS) looks to be the future IMO.

I wouldn't do that commute every day, even on Ollie Henry's wage.
I have a number of workmates who commute in from that direction (Lara/Bannockburn/Geelong etc) to North Melbourne, not much further to Richmond. All would be on far less than Henry too.

I have a number of workmates who commute in from that direction (Lara/Bannockburn/Geelong etc) to North Melbourne, not much further to Richmond. All would be on far less than Henry too.

I envy their mindfulness - doing that commute on a daily basis would have me going full Michael Douglas in Falling Down within a week.

Jon Ralph reported that he was close to signing a 6 year deal with the Saints in mid March. Battle's manager is either using other clubs to up his $$$ value or he has a better deal on the table elsewhere. The Ross Lyon comments said a fair bit IMO too and he definitely sounded like someone that had his lollies stolen. Does anyone still have the Ross Lyon video where he had a tantee?

I envy their mindfulness - doing that commute on a daily basis would have me going full Michael Douglas in Falling Down within a week.

People go even further than that character sadly.

Below is an actual conversation from a Geelong bound train, mid journey to sleep hollow on a weekday around 5pm:

(Man points to raindrops beading on window and slowly moving across the glass)

"That's my horse; that's your horse. That's my horse; that's your horse. That's my horse; that's your horse. You lost!"

The updates on whether McKay was coming to us, even from trusted ITKs here were literally flip flopping right up until he signed with the Bombers.

As if we can put any real weight on what is being said by randoms on other club boards.

Now, if somebody has some screenshots of some sms or whatsapp messages with names redacted, then we can get excited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The updates on whether McKay was coming to us, even from trusted ITKs here were literally flip flopping right up until he signed with the Bombers.

As if we can put any real weight on what is being said by randoms on other club boards.

Now, if somebody has some screenshots of some sms or whatsapp messages with names redacted, then we can get excited.
I have no doubt that there are currently people at Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood who feel optimistic about Smith signing with them. That is the job of the player manager: keep as many clubs on the hook as long as possible to drive the price up. Clubs only know what the player and manager want them to know. That's why people with connections to multiple different clubs so frequently report simultaneous confidence from different clubs. Unless the information comes from someone very close to the player, it's rarely of much value outside of a club simply being interested in a player and trying to lure them.

I have no doubt that there are currently people at Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood who feel optimistic about Smith signing with them. That is the job of the player manager: keep as many clubs on the hook as long as possible to drive the price up. Clubs only know what the player and manager want them to know. That's why people with connections to multiple different clubs so frequently report simultaneous confidence from different clubs. Unless the information comes from someone very close to the player, it's rarely of much value outside of a club simply being interested in a player and trying to lure them.
Pies will be rebuilding by the time Tassie come in.

It's either us or cats.

I can draft up some messages if you need, really get things moving in every direction 😂

I don't think modern footy will have too many Tom Hawkins' types who park their big arse in a goal square. Maybe Jed Walters could be the next generations big gorilla forward but just looking at the kids getting drafted very few seem to play that way.

A lot of tall rangy athletic types.

Harry Morrison is an RFA. Does this mean he’s in our top 25% highest paid players 🤯

Still can’t stop laughing about the North “ITK” poster who said the only reason Butters didn’t request a trade to them was LDU wouldn’t give up number 9
I hate when people don’t get the facts right

It was

Butters didn’t request a trade to them. Wasn’t LDU going to give up number 9 when he moved to his new club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back