Injury 2024 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So my height goes from a ruck in the 70s down to a small forward in the 2020s.
Hell even I played ruck in the 80's and I'm not exactly Andre the Giant.

Good opportunity to see what McDonald can do, Hipwood is too mobile for cox anyway and North only have Larkey who Pearce will take. Let Cox heal, become a father and roll him out for round 3 against the crows, if McDonald is good enough we may play 3 talls against Tex, Fogarty and Thiltorp.
Maybe im optimistic but why is Cox missing through to round 3 now? The first game is over 7 weeks away

It said 4 weeks of off feet training didn’t it?
Then he’d need a few weeks to recondition legs
Club spin but said he could keep fitness up by cross training and let’s be real, it’s Cox where club conditioning has never been a strength anyway.

Info as it stands he shouldn’t be missing round 1

Exactly. I don’t know exactly when our pre season games are tbh but him getting some minutes at Peel before round one isn’t impossible imo.

The problem for us is the WAFL (Peel) don’t start until round 3 in the AFL (really round 4 given the round zero games). Totally f%#%ed, what do guys that just miss out on playing in the ones do that need match fitness or some time out on the ground proving their worth. Both the SANFL and VFL start earlier so not as big a problem for non WA clubs. Just something more titled against us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Maybe im optimistic but why is Cox missing through to round 3 now? The first game is over 7 weeks away
Just don’t see the need in rushing him back, he’ll miss the preseason games, and is likely to miss the north game anyway, if the timeline he said the other week is accurate his son is due on the day of the game, let him recover, build his loads and prime him for round 3, isn’t that why we recruited McDonald, so we wouldn’t have to play Pearce or Cox underdone?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem for us is the WAFL (Peel) don’t start until round 3 in the AFL (really round 4 given the round zero games). Totally f%#%ed, what do guys that just miss out on playing in the ones do that need match fitness or some time out on the ground proving their worth. Both the SANFL and VFL start earlier so not as big a problem for non WA clubs. Just something more titled against us

Not a worry, there will be 5 or 6 weeks of pre season matches

They'll have a week off in round 2 but our depth will have played plenty of pre season by then

That’s the regular season. They do play pre season games which start before the AFL regular season does.

Why does the WAFL have 5-6 preseason games, but start the season 3 weeks after the AFL?
Not 100% certain this is the reasoning but I had thought (heard?) it was so that the wafl comp is still going at the other end of the season, meaning non selected players could keep match fitness heading into and during the afl finals.

Thinking about it a bit more that would mean that the wafl was doing things to suit the afl clubs, which seems unlikely unless it was specifically WC that requested it.

Makes zero sense.
I guess it's either the start of the season or when the AFL finals is on. If we're going to be a serious AFL team, I'd much prefer the seconds playing footy when the whips are cracking rather than the start of the season.

It'd be nice to get both though.

They shortened the season by like 5 or 6 games a few years back, now they do like 2-3 scratchies (against other teams) and 2-3 official pre season games instead
I guess it makes it fair to play every team twice, imagine the uproar if a team was knocked out of finals by % and the other team had played WC 3 times instead of 2!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back