Injury 2024 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They tend to collapse at random times though, have a mate in exactly that same boat, did his ACL in his 20’s, no surgery at all, now early 50’s and played plenty of footy in between. Lack of support in random movements drops him sometimes but he’s generally ok and fully functional.
I did mine in 2016 and post opp was trialled with a new machine that ran chilled water through a compression cuff, similar to a blood pressure cuff but running the length of the leg.
Didn’t seem to help as I had to go back under to break up the scar tissue that had formed.
I had the hybrid LARS combined with traditional which (apart from the above mentioned setback) worked really well, still playing now in my 50’s
LARS seems to have dropped off the radar, don’t hear of it anymore, is there any reason ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just following on from that, when I did mine in 2016 I had a mate in my team do the same and had the LARS hybrid surgery same as mine but without the setbacks.
He was training in 12 weeks and played later that season at close to 50 years old, still playing now in his late 50’s.
I’m guessing a 25 yr old with full rehab facilities could come back quicker!
There must have been a number of failures with it as it doesn’t appear to be used anymore but from first hand experience it worked really well.
Now if only I could stop popping my shoulders out I could get back to pre-season…..🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If your not a pro athlete you can live off no ACL.

My mate did his ACL the week before his wedding playing soccer back in 2018 he would have been 23 at the time.

He didnt get it operated on as he doesn't have private health and sat out 3 years.

Came back after covid i think in 2022 nearly 3 and half years and played 2 thirds of the season with no ACL. Then it just collapsed again and he was done after that.

Still hasn't got it operated on just plays Golf these days.

ROUND TWO INJURY LIST:
Jaeger O’Meara (knee) – test
Ethan Stanley (ankle) – 2 weeks
Karl Worner (concussion) – 2 weeks
Nathan O’Driscoll (knee) – 2-3 weeks
Sean Darcy (knee) – 3 weeks
Heath Chapman (hamstring) – 3 weeks
Corey Wagner (calf) – 5-7 weeks
Brennan Cox (hamstring) – 12-14 weeks
Oscar McDonald (knee) – TBA
Odin Jones (concussion) - TBA
Josh Corbett (hip) – Season
Sebit Kuek (knee) - Season

Surely the club can give a LITTLE bit more information on McDonald
They will when they get additional scans as the knee swelling settles. He will be out for a while. Basically he hasn’t ruptured the PCL or ACL but there is damage to ligaments and cartilage. Maybe a further update next week. Not expecting him to be back much before Cox to be honest. Let’s just say 12-14 weeks for both.

Draper until Chapman is ready is the go (ie next 3-4 weeks). Chapman to play tall until reinforcements are back.

Good opportunity for Chapman to settle into a position. He played all his West Perth colts footy as CHB.

They are waiting for it to settle first apparently. The club put out their injury video on YouTube.
They will when they get additional scans as the knee swelling settles. He will be out for a while. Basically he hasn’t ruptured the PCL or ACL but there is damage to ligaments and cartilage. Maybe a further update next week. Not expecting him to be back much before Cox to be honest. Let’s just say 12-14 weeks for both.

Draper until Chapman is ready is the go (ie next 3-4 weeks). Chapman to play tall until reinforcements are back.

Good opportunity for Chapman to settle into a position. He played all his West Perth colts footy as CHB.
Yeah, I'm just selfish and want to know what it's looking like, should I be optimistic it's not a full ACL or pessimistic it's basically the same thing?

If your not a pro athlete you can live off no ACL.

My mate did his ACL the week before his wedding playing soccer back in 2018 he would have been 23 at the time.

He didnt get it operated on as he doesn't have private health and sat out 3 years.

Came back after covid i think in 2022 nearly 3 and half years and played 2 thirds of the season with no ACL. Then it just collapsed again and he was done after that.

Still hasn't got it operated on just plays Golf these days.
I tried living with a torn ACL and my knee continuously gave way. In the end i had the reconstruction as just walking was dangerous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that the Odin Jones concussion is still TBC, whilst Worner went straight to 2 weeks.

He could be having lingering effects. A mate of mine got concussed nearly a year ago and is still getting negative effects from it.

Yeah, I'm just selfish and want to know what it's looking like, should I be optimistic it's not a full ACL or pessimistic it's basically the same thing?
My reading. Partial tears - not sure severity involving PCL/ACL (likely both). There was no rotation with the hyperextension so likely PCL took the brunt along with impact on the meniscus as the two bones pressed hard against each other at the anterior aspect of the medial meniscus. So also likely damage to meniscus (severity also unknown). Difficult to confirm best course of action as to surgery. This will be best determined when swelling subsides and repeat scans can better determine treatment plan.

Hope it’s not one of those where they decide no surgery required. Then 4 weeks later he goes in for surgery…

He was a turnover merchant early on. Didn't notice him later on in the game but I swear he played a part in all four of Brisbane's goals in the first quarter.
Have to agree re early costly turnovers- ditto Andy B. But thereafter he (also Andy ) steadied and was fairly solid, while Andy did some excellent work.
I think we’ll be quite ok with Hughes in back line. Despite or because of his inclusion all the other defenders had very good games.

Was just reading about a new study for ACL injuries where a special brace designed to keep the ends of the ligament adjacent was fitted for some weeks; turns out it heals back together. So we may have a new protocol soon, at least for us mugs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back