• McDonald

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 63 51.2%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you as confident as you were with Jackson though ;)
I'll probably clarify because of the wow reactions and I was taking the piss, I was pretty confident on Jackson because I was lucky enough to actually get my own goss not just passing on others. There were rumours flying everywhere really.

A lot less confident on McDonald but I do think there is a lot of funny stuff adding up;
  • Sydney chasing every forward with a pulse
  • Others on here saying we have been chasing him really hard
  • Bell saying how much we wanted to try to get him on draft night
  • The mentioned family/off-the-record media stuff
  • Hell, even North passing on him for Phillips was always weird

If we get the "negotiations on hold till later" thing I'll start being pretty confident but I'm already very confident it's Freo or Sydney

I'll probably clarify because of the wow reactions and I was taking the piss, I was pretty confident on Jackson because I was lucky enough to actually get my own goss not just passing on others. There were rumours flying everywhere really.

A lot less confident on McDonald but I do think there is a lot of funny stuff adding up;
  • Sydney chasing every forward with a pulse
  • Others on here saying we have been chasing him really hard
  • Bell saying how much we wanted to try to get him on draft night
  • The mentioned family/off-the-record media stuff
  • Hell, even North passing on him for Phillips was always weird

If we get the "negotiations on hold till later" thing I'll start being pretty confident but I'm already very confident it's Freo or Sydney

I know a person connected with Perth FC and he has said Fremantle have been in contact with his management and he is undecided.

I'm not sure if it's more money or wanting to see how both the swans and Freo play out this season but he is interested however definitely undecided.

Thats all I know and yes I know it doesn't give any answer one way or the other. At least we know that Freo is trying.

On a side note Freo are only paying half of Fyfe and Walters contracts for the next two seasons while the afl pay the rest to have Freo extend their contracts for 2 years not 1 which is what it was originally. This will free up some cash.

The half pay contracts were due to media and the lack of players in the West comming up and that the afl have pigeon holed them into positions if they would like to once retired.

Last edited:
I know a person connected with Perth FC and he has said Fremantle have been in contact with his management and he is undecided.

I'm not sure if it's more money or wanting to see how both the swans and Freo play out thus season but he is interested but definitely undecided.

Thats all I know and yes I know it doesn't give any answer one way or the other. At least we know that Freo is trying.
Yeah, pretty much how I would expect it this time of year which is all you can hope for (if keen on him)
On a side note Freo are only paying half of Fyfe and Walters contracts for the next two seasons while the afl pay the rest to have Freo extend their contracts for 2 years not 1 which is what it was originally. This will free up some cash.

The half pay contracts were due to media and the lack of players in the West comming up and that the afl have pigeon holed them into positions if they would like to once retired.
This is extremely interesting and I would love to know how confident you are in this? They really took a look at the lack of WA talent and helped us out? Seems out of character

Yeah, pretty much how I would expect it this time of year which is all you can hope for (if keen on him)

This is extremely interesting and I would love to know how confident you are in this? They really took a look at the lack of WA talent and helped us out? Seems out of character

It's for media and their needs not the clubs. I am backing a mate of mine who lives next to a reliable source of whome I would prefer not to reveal.

I could be wrong on this but he told me as it's a fact.

Those media partnerships would fall under the Additional payments scheme that the AFL has

It's outside of the cap but its also used by every team so its basically just an extension of the cap.

It has an official name that I can't remember right now, its basically like the media/sponsors/additional payments etc

Those media partnerships would fall under the Additional payments scheme that the AFL has

It's outside of the cap but its also used by every team so its basically just an extension of the cap.

It has an official name that I can't remember right now, its basically like the media/sponsors/additional payments etc

Well they both have it

I think we have already budgeted for Logan tbh, the hard part is convincing him to come

We need to be competitive this year

Yeah for sure

I rate him almost on par with Amiss. We could set and forget our key forwards for over a decade and fill any gaps required afterwards.

I think we have already budgeted for Logan tbh, the hard part is convincing him to come

We need to be competitive this year
An interesting side story is whether JL stuff impacts it. I think players generally prefer to not join clubs going through a coaching reshuffle - if the club is 50/50 on JL do they re-sign for two years just to get McDonald over the line...

An interesting side story is whether JL stuff impacts it. I think players generally prefer to not join clubs going through a coaching reshuffle - if the club is 50/50 on JL do they re-sign for two years just to get McDonald over the line...
You would atleast hold off long enough til McDonald has made up his mind, very unlikely a player changes their mind after that point.

Usually round 17 or so you'd expect a player to have made their mind up, (past the mid season break, a few weeks to settle on the decision) altho there are others that genuinely take longer.

Just watched Jon Ralph spew up some garbage about JL on the program On The Couch. Colin Young still feeding him nothing stories. Not many of his managed players on the list now. Walters the only big name now.

From what I’ve been told JL has the backing of the board and the contract will come at some point this year, obviously they along with members want to see the runs on the board and I’m sure when Freo produce a big win similar to Hinkley contract they'll announce it.

There was a game in particular last year against Carlton where Freo copped a hiding. Post game chatting to a couple of the players, one of them said JL had laid out the blue print and what to watch for and just like he predicted, it unfolded and the players were unable to execute it. Just needs a bit of tinkering I suspect (sorry I couldn’t help myself)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The draft is looking like it will be heavily compromised again. A number of F/S and northern academy players who are top 10/20 material at this stage. Plus there are several free agents {English, McCluggage, McGrath, even Zurharr if someone goes crazy) who might get their clubs a first round compo if no trade is forced. Don't be surprised if it is indeed 25, or even worse.

English definitely, as would McCluggage if he left (which I doubt). Zurharr is more likely (still very unlikely) to get band 1 than McGrath. He is incredibly beige.

I think 18 will end up being 22.

Just watched Jon Ralph spew up some garbage about JL on the program On The Couch. Colin Young still feeding him nothing stories. Not many of his managed players on the list now. Walters the only big name now.

From what I’ve been told JL has the backing of the board and the contract will come at some point this year, obviously they along with members want to see the runs on the board and I’m sure when Freo produce a big win similar to Hinkley contract they'll announce it.

There was a game in particular last year against Carlton where Freo copped a hiding. Post game chatting to a couple of the players, one of them said JL had laid out the blue print and what to watch for and just like he predicted, it unfolded and the players were unable to execute it. Just needs a bit of tinkering I suspect (sorry I couldn’t help myself)
LOL for the tinkering.

The rest is what I have been guessing is the case. Will be interesting to see the board tolerance if it's not going to plan.

At this point I am 100% convinced knows what needs to happen, its just whether or not he is able to get them to do it.

I'd rather have BB and Hughes on the list as we start to contend as plug and play for injury than to put some untried kid in to get his ass handed to him in an important game or final. We know those guys aren't particularly flash (at least on the field) but they are good cheap depth which contending teams need. There's plenty of spots outside the 22 for kids to be given time to develop as well as maintaining important experienced depth. I know depth is a foreign concept to many Freo supporters, but it seems to work quite well for the successful teams.
That’s what depth is for. Exactly the reason.
Banfield and Hughes have both been fit and ready for the season which is important.

Only if we’re doing well. If it goes pear shaped we need to look elsewhere.

Mb Logan comes over to Freo with Dean Cox....

Mb Logan comes over to Freo with Dean Cox....

I rarely say this, and perhaps the five or so times I have interacted with him are not the norm or I got him on bad days. Perhaps he has grow up outside the Perth bubble and moved on from thinking he is amazing. However, Cox was not only completely full of himself but a slightly dull moron.

The draft is looking like it will be heavily compromised again. A number of F/S and northern academy players who are top 10/20 material at this stage. Plus there are several free agents {English, McCluggage, McGrath, even Zurharr if someone goes crazy) who might get their clubs a first round compo if no trade is forced. Don't be surprised if it is indeed 25, or even worse.
Its a long way out from the draft but the good news for us would appear to be that there are a lot of talent projected to be in the top 25 picks outside of those expected to be Academy and Father son selections with the top 15 picks projected to contain a lot of mids that are athletic and can use the ball well and some very good small forward options like Malakai Champion and Isaac Kako just outside the projected top 10. Im stating the obvious by saying a lot can change between now and the draft but I'm confidents Walls would bring in some high end talent if we used the draft picks allocated.

I personally dont expect English or McCluggage to go anywhere and Id be surprised if McGrath left either. Provided the WB make a good offer to English he would be insane to go to West Coast while McCluggage would be leaving a team that looks set for sustained period of success.

It has been said a few times but, is McDonald actually any good?
He played 20 odd games and kicked 30 odd goals at 1.5 per game last year, while playing in a team with better ball movement and opportunities than the Dockers.
If Amiss did that that at the same age (meaning this year) we would not be talking him up as much.
Sometimes high draft picks turn out to be decent AFL footballers - not champions of the game. If you were to consider age, experience and performance, then at this stage McDonald is only projecting as a slight upgrade on Josh Treacy.

It has been said a few times but, is McDonald actually any good?
He played 20 odd games and kicked 30 odd goals at 1.5 per game last year, while playing in a team with better ball movement and opportunities than the Dockers.
If Amiss did that that at the same age (meaning this year) we would not be talking him up as much.
Sometimes high draft picks turn out to be decent AFL footballers - not great.
I'm not sure. I didn't see much of the Swans last year but the bits I did see, he rarely stood out. That's not confirmation of anything, especially since he is a KPF and could be bog ordinary for 4-6 years before becoming gun.

Kicking 32 goals in your 3rd season as a KPF is decent under any circumstances though.

I'm not sure. I didn't see much of the Swans last year but the bits I did see, he rarely stood out. That's not confirmation of anything, especially since he is a KPF and could be bog ordinary for 4-6 years before becoming gun.

Kicking 32 goals in your 3rd season as a KPF is decent under any circumstances though.
McDonald and Treacy are very similar in age, height and weight. (and not too dissimilar in performance so far). I reckon the reason they are viewed differently by media and pundits is more around draft position than anything else.

Back