• McDonald

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 63 51.2%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It has been said a few times but, is McDonald actually any good?
He played 20 odd games and kicked 30 odd goals at 1.5 per game last year, while playing in a team with better ball movement and opportunities than the Dockers.
If Amiss did that that at the same age (meaning this year) we would not be talking him up as much.
Sometimes high draft picks turn out to be decent AFL footballers - not champions of the game. If you were to consider age, experience and performance, then at this stage McDonald is only projecting as a slight upgrade on Josh Treacy.
I personally have him a level below Amiss, JUH, Kings x2 etc but likely better than Marshall / Hipwood. Good player, not superstar - doesnt have the athleticism of the other names. Significant upgrade on Treacy though

McDonald and Treacy are very similar in age, height and weight. (and not too dissimilar in performance so far). I reckon the reason they are viewed differently by media and pundits is more around draft position than anything else.
They are viewed differently because one kicked 32 goals in a season, one has kicked 29 goals in their career...

They are viewed differently because one kicked 32 goals in a season, one has kicked 29 goals in their career...
McDonald has also probably had more opportunities (based on his draft position).
Look I reckon that McDonald is projecting as a better player than Treacy...but just how much better remains to be seen. Josh has him covered defensively.

McDonald has also probably had more opportunities (based on his draft position).
Look I reckon that McDonald is projecting as a better player than Treacy...but just how much better remains to be seen. Josh has him covered defensively.
Defensive output of a key forward is secondary and Treacy got the opportunity to be basically the number 1 banana last Friday, it was not pretty.
Totally different systems and one played with Buddy.
This year will put it to bed.
It definitely will

They're the same age so that can't be used as an excuse.

People on here might have unrealistic expectations due to how well Amiss did last season but 32 goals is a bloody good tally for a KPF in their first three seasons.

The level of talent between McDonald and Treacy isn't comparable. People need to watch McDonald play this season not just make a judgement on stats.

They're the same age so that can't be used as an excuse.

People on here might have unrealistic expectations due to how well Amiss did last season but 32 goals is a bloody good tally for a KPF in their first three seasons.

The level of talent between McDonald and Treacy isn't comparable. People need to watch McDonald play this season not just make a judgement on stats.
Ifs hes there and gettable...do it.

Picks are only ever potential, but ready made talent is a known tangible thing. I'd be comfortable paying picks for the known.

People ummed and ahhhhed about Jackson. Here we are a year later and i dont see many posts complaining about his cost anymore. He was worth it and will continue to pay dividends. McDonald will do the same.

Picks are only ever potential, but ready made talent is a known tangible thing. I'd be comfortable paying picks for the known.

People ummed and ahhhhed about Jackson. Here we are a year later and i dont see many posts complaining about his cost anymore. He was worth it and will continue to pay dividends. McDonald will do the same.
Also, given all the discussions regarding list age requirements for success, bringing in more 18 year olds versus somebody a few years older is another plus.

Everyone should want Treacy to perform on par with McDonald.
It would save us a huge amount of capital that can be put towards wingers, small forwards and pace in general

Few people should expect Treacy to perform on par with McDonald, especially our list management.
At this stage, trying to lure Mcdonald should be, and sounds like it is, just about our highest priority.

I also just cant see a better offseason than getting a young talented KPF with his worst development years behind him and then drafting an actual talented small forward with the remaining first round pick. It's not like getting McDonald keeps us out of the draft with how strong our hand is

I also just cant see a better offseason than getting a young talented KPF with his worst development years behind him and then drafting an actual talented small forward with the remaining first round pick. It's not like getting McDonald keeps us out of the draft with how strong our hand is
Yeah I can't see the downside in all this.

Like Carlton getting Cerra. We developed him and then had to start again developing Amiss. 2 seasons later Amiss will started paying dividends on our trade
This time we trade away 3 years of development in a new pick and bring in a prized young key forward. It's not a loss especially as others have pointed out where our list is at. We need him now not in 3 years time

Yeah I can't see the downside in all this.

Like Carlton getting Cerra. We developed him and then had to start again developing Amiss. 2 seasons later Amiss will started paying dividends on our trade
This time we trade away 3 years of development in a new pick and bring in a prized young key forward. It's not a loss especially as others have pointed out where our list is at. We need him now not in 3 years time
We skip 4 years by the time he joins (if he does). It's such an underrated bonus, the same thing happened with Jackson. You pay a premium to get only their best games basically, and remove any doubt they'll be good (and McDonald is going to be at least a 40 goal a year KPF). If we had say pick 3 at the end of the year and their was a WA KPF rated around pick 3, the board would be all over him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep in mind with the Treacy vs McDonald discussions this year that McDonald will be playing on the opposition's best defender whereas Treacy will be playing on their 3rd best key defender.

Treacy's best trait for Freo is how good a team player he is. He chases, provides blocks, doesn't move into other forward's space, crashes packs, ect. As a result, all the other forwards benefit a lot from him being in the team. The question should be could McDonald do the same while improving on Treacy's weaknesses?

Keep in mind with the Treacy vs McDonald discussions this year that McDonald will be playing on the opposition's best defender whereas Treacy will be playing on their 3rd best key defender.

Treacy's best trait for Freo is how good a team player he is. He chases, provides blocks, doesn't move into other forward's space, crashes packs, ect. As a result, all the other forwards benefit a lot from him being in the team. The question should be could McDonald do the same while improving on Treacy's weaknesses?
One of McDonald, Jackson or Amiss getting an opposition 3rd tall should have peoples mouth watering. Surround those three with one elite small forward then some role players who pressure and create for others, you got yourself a stew going...

Everyone should want Treacy to perform on par with McDonald.
It would save us a huge amount of capital that can be put towards wingers, small forwards and pace in general

Few people should expect Treacy to perform on par with McDonald, especially our list management.
At this stage, trying to lure Mcdonald should be, and sounds like it is, just about our highest priority.
I have been on Bigfooty for 10 years. In that time, by far the most unanimous desire from all Freo posters was to get Hogan from Melbourne. At the time, I can not remember a single person who was against it. The support for Hogan was so strong that when Peter Bell made the infamous line that it would be a "feather in his cap" if he convinced Neale to stay, a heck of a lot of supporters on here lambasted him for not focusing on Hogan.

Fast forward 8 years and getting Hogan was one of the worst decisions made by the Dockers.

The lessons in all this: I don't give much weight to Bigfooty supporters suggesting what the club should be doing in regards to player management and trade targets. And I'm highly sceptical of giving up too much for anyone - particularly a key forward.

I have been on Bigfooty for 10 years. In that time, by far the most unanimous desire from all Freo posters was to get Hogan from Melbourne. At the time, I can not remember a single person who was against it. The support for Hogan was so strong that when Peter Bell made the infamous line that it would be a "feather in his cap" if he convinced Neale to stay, a heck of a lot of supporters on here lambasted him for not focusing on Hogan.

Fast forward 8 years and getting Hogan was one of the worst decisions made by the Dockers.

The lessons in all this: I don't give much weight to Bigfooty supporters suggesting what the club should be doing in regards to player management and trade targets. And I'm highly sceptical of giving up too much for anyone - particularly a key forward.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Hey! Don't lump myself or Taylor in with the rest of you lot! Was very much NOT in the camp of either Hogan or Lobb and I didn't even know they were campaigners at the time.

If McDonald comes down with a navicular then I will change my tune on him

Hindsight says we never trade for Jesse with that injury, he could not get on the park, no idea how he passed the medical to be honest

Edit: well actually I do know how he passed the medical, we had the most incompetent doctor/physio/sports science staff in the league

Unless Treacy kicks 30+ this year, its a no brainer I think. Unless McD gets injured or goes backwards significantly.
Unless McDonald does something really bad like an ACL him getting injured does nothing but slightly reduce his trade value.

Provided it has no impact on his likely long term fitness I don't see how it should make any difference to how much Freo is interested in getting him.

Hypotheticals for those who know more than me (ok, guessing most of u!;)

1) Mcdonald or taylor? Who do we need more? Who will increase our chance of a premiership more?

2) Is getting both vaguely possible if we were willing to trade almost the farm this year?

3) Warner for 2 firsts and a second? Or??

4) zurhaar for what?

5) Do we skip the 2024 draft entirely and just trade hard to fix our list problems? - or are the solutions to our list just not available to us this year at a gettable price?

6) relating to this…
Whats the most you would trade for a livewire small forward? We so need one! Who to target?

V interested in thoughts on the above!

Back