• McDonald

Votes: 26 20.5%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 64 50.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Under what measure would people say Jackson isn’t a great ruck. Which of these do we think he isn’t good at in the ruck:
  • Limiting opponent hit out to advantage
  • Generating clearances by doing it himself or hit out to advantage
  • Floating forward for a goal
  • Marks around the ground

Dogga might not be a traditional style ruck but he impacts in all the same ways. He’s literally in our best players each week playing as the number 1 ruck

Under what measure would people say Jackson isn’t a great ruck. Which of these do we think he isn’t good at in the ruck:

Dogga might not be a traditional style ruck but he impacts in all the same ways. He’s literally in our best players each week playing as the number 1 ruck
Limiting opponent hit out to advantage

I think a quality small forward in the 21 - 25 year age bracket would be a good get.
Kosi Pickett probs my first choice but unless Melbourne really crash out this year he would be hard to pry loose.
Tyson Stengel likely much more gettable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm not so sure he will be able to against a true top of the line bull of a ruckman, but he should be able to destroy him on thr ground if he can force it there

Point 1 he was soundly beaten in the first half yesterday at centre clearance and around the ground. Treacy was more effective in the middle.
Let’s see what the Darcy/Jackson combo looks like over a half dozen games before we “Kane Cornes” Darcy out of Freo.
We’ve signed Darcy longterm but if it doesn’t work then we move on but we haven’t had a whole season where they have played together yet.

Last edited:

Some purple coloured hindsight going on here snuff

He got smashed in the ruck by xerri for almost entire half
Xerri (who I rate quite highly after watching that btw)was a massive reason in giving their midfield all the ascendency in the first place .
Which led to their overall dominance

Do that against even half competent teams let alone the top ones and theirs no coming back from the margin like we did.

Also there’s a BIG difference between doing what jacko did yesterday against a young team in round 2 with only chop out from total part timer in Treacy and under the roof at marvel and then doing it in the wet (or dry) in round 19 against a finals side at the G/ Adelaide oval .

Dogga could not do what he did yesterday for entire year without a genuine break from No 1 ruck duties from another actual competent ruckman.

Now if we want to go down that route and run our most valuable asset into the ground by playing predominantly in the ruck for an entire season, year after year then I suggest we may as well take advice from the likes of corns and king literally as a club

In my slightly educated opinion
  • Baker
  • McDonald
  • Warner
  • Bolton (heard nothing here)

I really only included Bolton because if Richmond had any sense he’s exactly who they should ask if he’d like to explore his options
How is Stengle this year?

Off field how is he?

At least he fills a need.

Tarryn Thomas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some purple coloured hindsight going on here snuff

He got smashed in the ruck by xerri for almost entire half
Xerri (who I rate quite highly after watching that btw)was a massive reason in giving their midfield all the ascendency in the first place .
Which led to their overall dominance

Do that against even half competent teams let alone the top ones and theirs no coming back from the margin like we did.

Also there’s a BIG difference between doing what jacko did yesterday against a young team in round 2 with only chop out from total part timer in Treacy and under the roof at marvel and then doing it in the wet (or dry) in round 19 against a finals side at the G/ Adelaide oval .

Dogga could not do what he did yesterday for entire year without a genuine break from No 1 ruck duties from another actual competent ruckman.

Now if we want to go down that route and run our most valuable asset into the ground by playing predominantly in the ruck for an entire season, year after year then I suggest we may as well take advice from the likes of corns and king literally as a club
Point 1 he was soundly beaten in the first half yesterday at centre clearance and around the ground. Treacy was more effective in the middle.
Let’s see what the Darcy/Jackson combo looks like over a half dozen games before we “Kane Cornes” Darcy out of Freo.
We’ve signed Darcy longterm but if it doesn’t work then we move on but we haven’t a whole season where they have played together yet.

Yes, as good as Jackson is, he is 22 and a few years away from being able to smash other rucks the whole game. Gawn, Cox and other gun rucks managed to do it year in and out and play 300 games. Why is Jackson not going to be able to?

I’m not advocating for Darcy to be traded, I have said lots of time it’s a bad idea but I think everyone dismissing any media commentary around it have bigger blinkers on then I do. When Duffield starts saying how he thinks there’s a discussion there (and he just compared him to Stephen Michael) are you all going to brush him off as stupid as well?

Yes, as good as Jackson is, he is 22 and a few years away from being able to smash other rucks the whole game. Gawn, Cox and other gun rucks managed to do it year in and out and play 300 games. Why is Jackson not going to be able to?

I’m not advocating for Darcy to be traded, I have said lots of time it’s a bad idea but I think everyone dismissing any media commentary around it have bigger blinkers on then I do. When Duffield starts saying how he thinks there’s a discussion there (and he just compared him to Stephen Michael) are you all going to brush him off as stupid as well?
Difference is we all know Duffield watches Freo and knows about us. He can say what he wants and it will have merit to us because he knows the club.

That’s completely different from Cornes or some other eastern bum saying the same thing every time they see Jackson play a good game in their one Freo game they watch for the month.

Difference is we all know Duffield watches Freo and knows about us. He can say what he wants and it will have merit to us because he knows the club.

That’s completely different from Cornes or some other eastern bum saying the same thing every time they see Jackson play a good game in their one Freo game they watch for the month.
Ok, I watch every Freo game a few times and I understand the discussion point

Ok, I watch every Freo game a few times and I understand the discussion point
But you also understand the value Darcy brings to the team and the fact that him and Jackson can work together and we have proof of it. It’s different when these guys throw s**t at Darcy being a “backup ruck” and compare LJ/Darcy to Gawn/Grundy for no other reason except that they’re all rucks.

I think any discourse about Jackson being number 1 is premature anyway. We don’t have a big sample size of Jackson and Darcy actually playing together and the few games they did play Jacko was still finding his feet. If we bring Darcy back and we start losing in the middle and LJ turns to crap then sure, bring it up. But until that happens all the discourse around it is purely reactionary when it’s come from the east.

No blinkers on from me but let’s wait and see when we have enough evidence of them playing together to make a judgement either way.
You can’t compare Gawn Cox etc to Jackson because he does so much more outside of the ruck work.
I was lucky enough to watch Stephen Michael live at his peak. Their attributes are very similar but not comparable because of the era of footy he played in. 188cm Ruckman doesn’t exist in todays footy.

Last edited:

All some are saying is he can be very damaging without being a ruck. Seems like a waste to me especially when we have at least one other very good option and likely two with Knobel. At the end of the day it is only Duffs opinion. Are you suggesting he is always right?

Gawn, Cox and other gun rucks managed to do it year in and out and play 300 games
Cox 204 cm (had seaby then natsnui as back up)

Gawn 208 cm (has/had Jackson himself/grundy as back up

Luke Jackson 199 cm

He’s pretty much the smallest starting ruckman in the league

I think your trying to argue something we all actually can agree on and that is
Can Luke Jackson be a number 1 ruck
The clear answer is yes BUT can he do it on his own , full time , with nothing but a chop out from a part timer (not actual ruckman)
Then my answer would be clearly no

So really the first question is mute.
And that’s without going into the whole what would you LOSE from Jackson being the number 1 ruck?

He still needs an actual ruckman (or ruck fwd)- who also would have to be over 200cm.

So if it’s not Darcy it’s still all likely another ruckman (knobel- 207)

So again why are we even bothering contemplating this?

Back