• McDonald

Votes: 26 20.5%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 64 50.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. That's the one I'd like to see break into the side.
So effectively (and you’d have to assume that was Walls thinking as well as we have Brodie and Ras who can’t break into the team as midfielders) we used picks 35 (traded up for) and 60 on small forwards last year, yet everyone is complaining we don’t draft small forwards.

Charlie Cameron would take the Freo front 6 to another level.

I know it’s mentioned but Treacy was Wayne Carey like on Saturday night. Considering where he was plucked from with little development, he’s been quite a find.

If Darcy isn’t ready this weekend I’d still drop Tabs. His input has been very average. Watched a little of the game yesterday and Barrass is either carrying an injury or simply checked out and McGovern couldn’t get close to the contests. Freo could go with a mid sized forward instead of Tabs with ease.
If tabs didn't take Ratagalea, someone else would have had to Doubt Treacy would have taken those contested marks against him.

So effectively (and you’d have to assume that was Walls thinking as well as we have Brodie and Ras who can’t break into the team as midfielders) we used picks 35 (traded up for) and 60 on small forwards last year, yet everyone is complaining we don’t draft small forwards.
Simpson is a mid, who is clean and could maybe play forward flank

Pick 60 is a Hale Mary pick.

How long before the media revert to type and whip out the old "Freo need a KPF" line?

He’s not getting traded this year unless Suns somehow have another salary cap issue but I would do nasty things to bring him here. Doesn’t even need to play as a KPF, just anywhere up forward as a kind of medium flanker.

Him and Treacy running all over the place delivering lace out passes to Jackson and Amisd would be beautiful to watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that far off our Walters and Neale picks..
The flaw with the reasoning here is its by exception. Looking at the history of the pick (let's say Walters: 53) and ignoring the first 15 or so years of the draft, when it was an amature shitshow, and just look at the last 25:

of the 25 picks:

11 did not or haven't as yet reached 10 games.
1 played more than 10 but less than 50
5 have played between 50 and 100 (one our own Oscar Mac)
2 active players are in the low 100s

The rest have had genuinely successful careers of 150 games plus

So the pick has a hit rate of about 1 in 3. And pick 53 is an anomalously successful low pick. Pick 54 has only had 3 of the last 25 players reach 100 games. Pick 52 its 1!

And now the draft gets pre scalped by the mid season draft and SSP picks in this range are even more devalued (going back to pick 53 the last 7 players taken in this spot have collectively played 15 games).

Behind Bolton, Lukosius would just about be my number 2 preferred player. Actual forward class that is primed and ready to go
Not even close to the off-season and already this scenario is killing me hahaha! First it was possibly Warner/Baker....now it's Bolton/Lukosius (I know I know, it's not what you meant..). If we can somehow find ourselves in a situation where we have 2 out of that 4 I think we find ourselves in a VERY good place. I doubt we're winning a 2024 Premiership personally, so I almost want to fast forward to the trade period to see wtf. Last year's was very meh and that's putting it mildly, but somehow set us up for this upcoming one. Pretty fascinating watch....

what's the point of recruiting and developing our amazing young guys at Peel (including their culture) if you want to replace them with some older guys who are not as hungry for a GF win and are now just chasing money? Feels very Tim Kelly to me.

Serong and Brayshaw are our future leaders and are only 23 and 24. I would be mindful of the impact of unsettling what jLo is trying to create.

As I said in another post, I just watched "The Boys in the Boat about a US rowing team that won gold at the Berlin Olympics when the odds were against them. The emphasis was on the members of the team being a team and not a bunch of individuals.

In this last draft we went after humble, hard working individuals with leadership skills, just as much as we went after talent.

what's the point of recruiting and developing our amazing young guys at Peel (including their culture) if you want to replace them with some older guys who are not as hungry for a GF win and are now just chasing money? Feels very Tim Kelly to me.

Serong and Brayshaw are our future leaders and are only 23 and 24. I would be mindful of the impact of unsettling what jLo is trying to create.

As I said in another post, I just watched "The Boys in the Boat about a US rowing team that won gold at the Berlin Olympics when the odds were against them. The emphasis was on the members of the team being a team and not a bunch of individuals.

In this last draft we went after humble, hard working individuals with leadership skills, just as much as we went after talent.
Because as the great man Rocky Balboa taught us, the real world isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

Lukosius is a much better player than anyone currently at Peel (except Chappy but he's not fit). That's why.

Story goes Bailey Smith’s dr wrote a letter in his draft year saying moving interstate would adversely effect Smith’s mental health or something like that.
Things can change but with the above and no shortage of takers in VIC I can’t see him coming here.
Didn't Wingard do the same thing then moved to Victoria?

Back