Votes: 26 20.5%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 64 50.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need to be patient with our developing stars at Peel

Yes, we do need to be patient with our developing players at Peel. A few draftees can play at the highest level from the start of their career but most need time to build their bodies and hone their skills.

We, as supporters, are after instant results and tend not to be very patient. It's like being a kid on Christmas night for us.

Yes, we do need to be patient with our developing players at Peel. A few draftees can play at the highest level from the start of their career but most need time to build their bodies and hone their skills.

We, as supporters, are after instant results and tend not to be very patient. It's like being a kid on Christmas night for us.
we need to stop and remember Tim Kelly

GC are merely a feeder club, which we have also benefitted from
We've certainly recruited our share of GC players (Bennell, Matera, Corbett, Brodie & Sharp), but unlike other clubs we haven't poached their top end talent at the peak of their career, like Richmond (Lynch) Melbourne (May) or Crom (Rankine) have. In fact we're pretty much the only club where for one of our players the Gold Coast was a destination club (my former buddy the GLR), though they did pay a pretty penny for him.

If we could nab Lukosius however...

If we assume that we pay a similar price for a "missing piece player" as the Eagles did for Kelly, let's look at the run-up for the five drafts prior:

Tim Kelly - joins 2019
2018: O'Neill, Foley, Williams, Cameron
2017: Brander, Allen, Ryan, Ainsworth, Petruccelle, Brayshaw
2016: Venables, Rotham, Rioli, Waterman
2015: Partington, Cole, Mutimer, Allen
2014: Duggan, Lamb, Nelson, Cavka, Waterman

Player/Players - joins 2024
2023: Simpson, Murphy, Delean
2022: Davies, Emmett, Knobel, Wagner
2021: Amiss, Erasmus, Johnson
2020: Chapman, O'Driscoll, Walker
2019: Jackson, Serong, Young, Frederick, Sharp

I think Fremantle is in a better position. You can see why I went out to five years too.

If we assume that we pay a similar price for a "missing piece player" as the Eagles did for Kelly, let's look at the run-up for the five drafts prior:

Tim Kelly - joins 2019
2018: O'Neill, Foley, Williams, Cameron
2017: Brander, Allen, Ryan, Ainsworth, Petruccelle, Brayshaw
2016: Venables, Rotham, Rioli, Waterman
2015: Partington, Cole, Mutimer, Allen
2014: Duggan, Lamb, Nelson, Cavka, Waterman

Player/Players - joins 2024
2023: Simpson, Murphy, Delean
2022: Davies, Emmett, Knobel, Wagner
2021: Amiss, Erasmus, Johnson
2020: Chapman, O'Driscoll, Walker
2019: Jackson, Serong, Young, Frederick, Sharp

I think Fremantle is in a better position. You can see why I went out to five years too.
you did an amazing job

I love that we brought in a young super star like Jackson (experienced but still young) and Sharp. I think we need to look at players who are from the 2019 draft and later. I don't want a quick fix solution, but something sustainable. Some of the names thrown around will be 26 or over.

you did an amazing job

I love that we brought in a young super star like Jackson (experienced but still young) and Sharp. I think we need to look at players who are from the 2019 draft and later. I don't want a quick fix solution, but something sustainable. Some of the names thrown around will be 26 or over.

At your service.

2020: Logan McDonald, Denver Grainger-Barras, Shannon Neale, Jack Carroll
2021: Angus Sheldrick, Jacob van Rooyen, Jesse Motlop
2022: Jedd Busslinger, Ed Allan, Darcy Jones

Same list by contract status:
2024: Logan McDonald, Denver Grainger-Barras, Jack Carroll, Jedd Busslinger
2025: Shannon Neale, Angus Sheldrick, Jesse Motlop
2026: Ed Allan, Darcy Jones
2029: Jacob van Rooyen

if you want to replace them with some older guys who are not as hungry for a GF win and are now just chasing money? Feels very Tim Kelly to me.

You're so bias considering JOM has already taken time off players like Brodie & Erasmus. He's older than Tim Kelly. He was disposed off and came here for those reasons unlike Tim Kelly. Tim Kelly has actually been great at the expense of no one at Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've certainly recruited our share of GC players (Bennell, Matera, Corbett, Brodie & Sharp), but unlike other clubs we haven't poached their top end talent at the peak of their career, like Richmond (Lynch) Melbourne (May) or Crom (Rankine) have. In fact we're pretty much the only club where for one of our players the Gold Coast was a destination club (my former buddy the GLR), though they did pay a pretty penny for him.

If we could nab Lukosius however...
I like that he is only 23

Back