• McDonald

Votes: 26 20.2%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 64 49.6%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 7 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Players to target in off season in priority.
1 Bolton.
2 Chad Warner.
3. Baker.
4. McDonald.

To be fair we probably aren't getting the first two, but they are guns and we should at least throw our hat in the ring.

I know this is very early days and Erasmus and Johnson still could be fantastic players, but if you were in the Freo recruiting team surely you'd be second guessing the policy of valuing draft picks over proven talent right now.
Reckon they will be going hard for McDonald and Baker with those 3 first rounders.

I know this is very early days and Erasmus and Johnson still could be fantastic players, but if you were in the Freo recruiting team surely you'd be second guessing the policy of valuing draft picks over proven talent right now.
Reckon they will be going hard for McDonald and Baker with those 3 first rounders.

Draft is the best way to rebuild a list. Trade is the best way to fill holes.

If you through enough darts at the board, you will miss some but if you don't through any, it is very hard to get an A grader.

A guy i thought would get picked up in the draft or as a rookie pick Elijah Scoble is playing league for Perth as a Kpd and doing it well.

Unless we get more injuries to KPDs between now and then I can't see us taking one in the MSD. Draper doing a good job and Davies was spoken about in similar terms to Draper.

Fremantle Key Position Defenders:
Alex Peace
Brennan Cox
Luke Ryan
---
Oscar McDonald
---
Hugh Davies
Josh Draper

We are missing one best twenty two key back and the mature depth key back.

I'm not so sure we want to be loading up on more depth options, especially if either or both of Draper or Davies are superior options to them from as soon as the week after and certainly from the start of the following season.

If we are adding someone to the immediately best twenty two group then it gets interesting

Alex Peace
Brennan Cox
Luke Ryan
---
Oscar McDonald
---
Hugh Davies
Josh Draper

I'm not so sure we want to be loading up on more depth options, especially if either or both of Draper or Davies are superior options to them from as soon as the week after and certainly from the start of the following season.

If we are adding someone to the immediately best twenty two group then it gets interesting

Agree, lets add an outside mid, forward flank, forward pocket first.

Then we can add another forward option, and then we get think about defenders.

I'm happy for Freo to go hard for McDonald and Baker. Both would instantly improve our team, and both players are low risk.

I don't understand the McDonald love.

I think Treacy is playing well enough to hard down the 2nd KPF, with Jackson as the 3rd KPF.

Baker is a great fit, Warner at the end of 2025 would be perfect.

Isaac Cumming (24) or Brandon Starcevich (25) would be perfect as free agents.

People around here were talking up Liam Ryan, Tim Kelly, Marlion Pickett, Nick Martin and others before they were drafted. Obviously there's umpteen others that were talked up who never made it or got a chance, but I want to know who people think have been overlooked and may be worth a chance in the MSD. Preferably a small forward... Another Ballantyne/Puopulo/Schultz. Someone early 20s doing reasonably well at WAFL/SNAFL/VFL level ready to take the next step.

I think Treacy is playing well enough to hard down the 2nd KPF, with Jackson as the 3rd KPF.

If you can imagine a future in which Luke Jackson is a midfielder in the Fremantle side, then we are one mature body tall forward short from the season that starts. If Taberner were three years younger and fit, no problem.

If we don't get McDonald I expect we will draft a key forward in the first round to allow us to play this style in the future.

Having been pro McDonald, I now need to see Jackson as a midfielder before completely writing it off but Treacy's year has me questioning my original stance. At the very least, I've dropped him on my list of preferred players

Having been pro McDonald, I now need to see Jackson as a midfielder before completely writing it off but Treacy's year has me questioning my original stance. At the very least, I've dropped him on my list of preferred players
I'm less convinced Jackson will be more impactful playing majority mid v forward. We won't know until Darcy is back so hopefully we can trial it out for the rest of the season.

I'm happy with our tall forward pecking order, but I guess a lot boils down to the fact they're still fairly raw - well, Amiss and Treacy. They have oodles of talent but are still developing their craft.

I'm definitely keen on Starcevich, I posted about that a few pages back. I haven't seen enough of Cumming to make an 'assessment'. I think more than anything we need a few smaller forwards (especially with Walters aging and the others being a bit meh sometimes, Emmett and Switta whilst having their great assets don't score enough goals for me, I guess Emmett is still only a dozen games in or whatever..) and maybe a solid medium forward, people who can hit the scoreboard regularly. I think some of the McDonald stuff comes from if Amiss went down injured for a sustained span, then things look a bit messy but I'm not into him much either, and just think a better list balance might be to load up on some crumbers or high half-forward types.

I'd be DEAD keen on Lukosius but don't see that happening, even if he becomes available - which right now is just bored footy fan murmurings and rumour-mongering.

I think some of the sugar rush comes from having shiny new toy syndrome from these multiple first round picks and what potentials that might create. The reality is we might only snag a couple of trades and they might not even be the ones ANY of us have mentioned!

Can't speak for anyone else, but I like fantasizing - it's just fun to even entertain in your own head what a Bolton/Lukosius double mega trade might feel like....and then the invariable meltdowns of the AFL landscape not happy we're actually trying to better ourselves. I like that kind of radical, rebellion stuffz

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alex Peace
Brennan Cox
Luke Ryan
---
Oscar McDonald
---
Hugh Davies
Josh Draper

Ollie Murphy is missing here

We arguably have 1 too many kpds already (draper is a cat b so it's fine + he likely settles to Ryan's role eventually)

Jake stringer for 2 years would be handy

Have to ride his downs tho

I think more than anything we need a few smaller forwards (especially with Walters aging and the others being a bit meh sometimes, Emmett and Switta whilst having their great assets don't score enough goals for me, I guess Emmett is still only a dozen games in or whatever..) and maybe a solid medium forward, people who can hit the scoreboard regularly. I think some of the McDonald stuff comes from if Amiss went down injured for a sustained span, then things look a bit messy but I'm not into him much either, and just think a better list balance might be to load up on some crumbers or high half-forward types.

Agree, but I don't think there are many available

Stengle is only one, and I don't think he is gettable.

Hopefully we keep 2 first round picks at least, and use them on forwards.

People around here were talking up Liam Ryan, Tim Kelly, Marlion Pickett, Nick Martin and others before they were drafted. Obviously there's umpteen others that were talked up who never made it or got a chance, but I want to know who people think have been overlooked and may be worth a chance in the MSD. Preferably a small forward... Another Ballantyne/Puopulo/Schultz. Someone early 20s doing reasonably well at WAFL/SNAFL/VFL level ready to take the next step.
Arthur Jones kicked 3 for WB reserves...

Has had a good year.

Do you know what his best role is?

Looks to be a forward, who can go into the midfield.

Jones
Why not follow Arthur Jones?
Arthur Jones is a speedy Indigenous midfielder/forward who was selected with pick 43 in the 2021 AFL Draft. Hailing from Mt Barker in regional Western Australia, the former Claremont player has tremendous upside and an ability to play as an outside midfielder, wingman or forward. Made his senior debut in round 3 against Brisbane, finishing the season with 13 games and four goals to his name.

I think he's got skill to be small forward...He wouldn't cost us much...

Jones
Why not follow Arthur Jones?
Arthur Jones is a speedy Indigenous midfielder/forward who was selected with pick 43 in the 2021 AFL Draft. Hailing from Mt Barker in regional Western Australia, the former Claremont player has tremendous upside and an ability to play as an outside midfielder, wingman or forward. Made his senior debut in round 3 against Brisbane, finishing the season with 13 games and four goals to his name.

I think he's got skill to be small forward...He wouldn't cost us much...

Not sure how you read it, I was asking the question.

I watched a few highlights and he looked good. I was not sure of his best position.

His Strengths and Weaknesses.

FYI - he is the type of player we should be looking at, either through trade or the draft.

Is he contracted? End of 2025 I think.

Last edited:
Throw the kitchen sink at Shai Bolton...

I was for Blight as a stop gap but Draper and Davies are looking great so no point doing that (even Murphy is showing good signs).

I wouldnt be surprised if they passed depending on where we are picking from because while I touch my wooden dining table, it would be disaster to not win at least 2 of the next 3 (and we should be winning all three).
Do you think Davies could play a role on a true KPF at AFL level right now?

Do you think Davies could play a role on a true KPF at AFL level right now?
Could he? Sure, but it wouldnt be ideal (same as Draper on Curnow). Davies bigger problem really is at least 2 cat 10 errors at Peel where he tries to be too slick or takes to relaxed and it's not like his disposal is necessarily bad, more he makes some braindead decisions sometimes. I've always thought his contest work is actually better than Draper.

He would be under strict instructions to give the easy handball or kick long EVERY time I think.

Could he? Sure, but it wouldnt be ideal (same as Draper on Curnow). Davies bigger problem really is at least 2 cat 10 errors at Peel where he tries to be too slick or takes to relaxed and it's not like his disposal is necessarily bad, more he makes some braindead decisions sometimes. I've always thought his contest work is actually better than Draper.

He would be under strict instructions to give the easy handball or kick long EVERY time I think.
Haha have we got another Z.Dawson on our hands? (I actually rated dawsons role in the team tbf)

If that's the case, our mid season pick really should be a mature aged KPD.

Back