• McDonald

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 105 60.3%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 10 5.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we’re 3 years away from Treacy and Amiss being consistently impactful forwards.

Really pleasing to see both have a decent run of games with impact but they’re still so raw.

Hopefully Cooper Simpson becomes something.

Still need to find/ develop a decent small and medium sized forward.

Need one more elite ball user too. Young is great. Who else do you trust kicking inside 50m???
I'm a tad more optimistic, but 2 years minimum for sure.

Ironically, I reckon our best i50 kicks are Treacy, Amiss and Freddie. Of the current crop of non-forwards I'd say Simpson (very small sample size) and Johnno (when he has time - hoping the amount needed decreases with experience).

I may be mad but I'm sure Serong used to be amazing at it at some point?

I'm a tad more optimistic, but 2 years minimum for sure.

Ironically, I reckon our best i50 kicks are Treacy, Amiss and Freddie. Of the current crop of non-forwards I'd say Simpson (very small sample size) and Johnno (when he has time - hoping the amount needed decreases with experience).

I may be mad but I'm sure Serong used to be amazing at it at some point?

Treacy definitely, but more because he goes quickly and often long to space for the forward to run into.

If we’re talking about someone who has to kick off a step? Young. That’s it.

If we’re talking someone with time and got someone on the tit? I can’t think of anyone other than Young.

We also need anyone that can snap greater than 17m from inside 50m.

I can’t believe that basically none of our players can snap a ball through for a score. It’s just sad.

This is an ongoing frustration.. sometimes we take an age to get it into a better position only for a 18m snap that goes no where.

If you look at the team, it's really only two very good small forwards away (maybe just one elite). A lot of the issues re: goal kicking mids tend to resolve themselves when teams are up and about. Those smalls also give you more space to operate around the fringes whcih allows your Youngs/Aishs/Sharps etc to have a go from 50. Brayshaw and Serong are a bit down currently but Brayshaw has shown an ability to hit the scoreboard from deep.

We're a monster clearance side with 3 talls who are going to be excellent (JJJ). You get some good crumbing work going and we become a side that should be kicking 6-7 a game from centre-bounce. I've seen worse teams than us become excellent after the addition of the right player or two.

Maybe I'm too glass half full, but I don't feel like we're far away at all.

Edit: Plus I don't see why we can't get the missing pieces over the next two years given our draft capital.

I don't think we are far away either. Yesterday was a strange game which highlights weaknesses we know we had. All of which can be addressed by trade and draft at the end of the year.

Speculative. It’s the Jon Ralph article.

Twomey seems to think it was us or Richmond. I’d be going with that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Richmond fan Ralph wants WC in the picture to have Baker's value discussed starting at THEIR first round pick so then when it falls to Freo the footy world has been talking those sort of figures.

Zurharr should be considered. He’s playing horribly and there’s question marks but he won’t cost anything and at his best is an instant upgrade on all forwards not named Amiss and Treacy.
Signing an overpaid free agent might just cost us the opportunity to bring in others.

Like others on here I think we're 2-3 players away. I'm not sure the salary cap allows us to pay the wrong player, especially when we're also paying Brodie to play in the WAFL.

This is an ongoing frustration.. sometimes we take an age to get it into a better position only for a 18m snap that goes no where.
💯 I’ve posted before and have said ad nauseam that we are just not clinical. We work and work but fluff handballs , drop a crucial mark , have a brain fade or , like last night, can’t kick straight. I don’t know if is experience and time that will change that or changing the players who can’t improve. Either way it’s deflating.

Signing an overpaid free agent might just cost us the opportunity to bring in others.

Like others on here I think we're 2-3 players away. I'm not sure the salary cap allows us to pay the wrong player, especially when we're also paying Brodie to play in the WAFL.

Yes, that’s fair enough.
Wouldn’t want to pay overs for someone not guaranteed to impact.

When I said cost I meant draft capital, but you’re right about balancing the books.

It would be worth taking a closer look at the GSW giants small forwards - the beat set of smalls in the comp.
Their first guy in, outside their B22 is a walk up start for us. I’m not sure who that is.
Do a reverse Griffin Logue scenario - target someone too good not to be playing AFL but who can’t get a game in a stacked team.
Other strategy would be to throw big $$$ at a likely underpaid established small forward from GWS like Daniels and make an offer he’d never get at GWS. Xav Ellis suggested this recently. Would you pay Brent Daniels $900k per season?

If Zurhaar or Bolton are available I think we'd be silly not to at least enter talks and see what we can do, we need that impact small forward role and both of them would be very good for us. I would feel very underwhelmed if we only picked up Baker in the off season.

Erasmus would probably be on 450-500 next year thanks to the GC tax, I'd look at offloading him for a late 2nd or early 3rd.

Cut our losses on that one, will need the list spot IMO and that extra cash will be handy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be worth taking a closer look at the GSW giants small forwards - the beat set of smalls in the comp.
Their first guy in, outside their B22 is a walk up start for us. I’m not sure who that is.
Do a reverse Griffin Logue scenario - target someone too good not to be playing AFL but who can’t get a game in a stacked team.
Other strategy would be to throw big $$$ at a likely underpaid established small forward from GWS like Daniels and make an offer he’d never get at GWS. Xav Ellis suggested this recently. Would you pay Brent Daniels $900k per season?
$600k PA should get it done (free up salary cap by getting rid of Hughes, Tabs and JOM at EOY)

We need to get smarter going forward in the draft and pick for a need not just next highest rated available player

Also from now on if you are a not a very good or elite KICK dont even consider

With a team like Richmond on the slide and the need for them to regenerate their list with draft picks Bolton and Baker are who we should target. Also maybe Zurhaar and Curtis as hopefully they will be well and truly over losing by the end of the year. On a Facebook post it had a picture of Jack Martin in a Freo jumper, 29 years of age, always injured and averaged less than a goal a game in his career with his highest tally in a year about 24 goals...no thanks, but that is probably someone we will end up with.

With a team like Richmond on the slide and the need for them to regenerate their list with draft picks Bolton and Baker are who we should target. Also maybe Zurhaar and Curtis as hopefully they will be well and truly over losing by the end of the year. On a Facebook post it had a picture of Jack Martin in a Freo jumper, 29 years of age, always injured and averaged less than a goal a game in his career with his highest tally in a year about 24 goals...no thanks, but that is probably someone we will end up with.
Jom 2.0.. surely no martin

If Zurhaar or Bolton are available I think we'd be silly not to at least enter talks and see what we can do, we need that impact small forward role and both of them would be very good for us. I would feel very underwhelmed if we only picked up Baker in the off season.
Has there been anything to suggest Bolton would be available? Why would Richmond let him go when he's one of their young, genuine A graders? If they're going to rebuild they need people in his age bracket to build around.

He recently signed on until 2028. I'm just a bit puzzled why people seem to be talking about him as if he's gettable.

Has there been anything to suggest Bolton would be available? Why would Richmond let him go when he's one of their young, genuine A graders? If they're going to rebuild they need people in his age bracket to build around.

He recently signed on until 2028. I'm just a bit puzzled why people seem to be talking about him as if he's gettable.

Ryan Daniels on the Hard Ball Gets podcast suggested he is one player that we should (not are) definitely try to lure home. Ever since he has said that people have run with it.

Ryan Daniels on the Hard Ball Gets podcast suggested he is one player that we should (not are) definitely try to lure home. Ever since he has said that people have run with it.
Thanks. I find it quite bizarre at times how people here talk about players as if we can just go and buy them.
Next in the BigFooty lexicon comes the bit where we bundle up Tabs, O'Meara & Walters and consider that a fair trade Richmond should jump on for him ;)

So is McDonald off the menu now?
If so maybe we look at another Swan in Jack Buller?
Tabs is basically done and Jack is the right age at 23.
A 100 kg genuine tall is certainly worthwhile and with Treacy, Amiss
would be given time and protection.
Also gives us the option of playing Jackson where required.

Back