Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

IMG_4692.JPG

Anything in this rumour with Jack Martin.

Type of player we need. However, often injured and rarely delivers on his potential!

So is McDonald off the menu now?
If so maybe we look at another Swan in Jack Buller?
Tabs is basically done and Jack is the right age at 23.
A 100 kg genuine tall is certainly worthwhile and with Treacy, Amiss
would be given time and protection.
Also gives us the option of playing Jackson where required.
Hows he been going at VFL level?

I’ve watched a few Peel games this year.

DeLean strikes me as that sort of player that if playing for a high scoring AFL side would have 6 touches a game and kick his 1-2 goals. By round 10 he’d have 13 goals and people would say what a pick up.

With Freo he would be miles off getting a game and if he did would have 4 touches and not kick a goal until his 3rd game in his 2nd season at the club.

Hows he been going at VFL level?
Only played a few games this year, but he had some big scores in 2023.
I’d have him on the list before Tabs. I think he is out of contract this year
so the price would be small.
At 23 is where tall forwards start to hit their prime, he is a big unit so plug
and play type.
Especially if there is interest in Reidy, it’s funny how many on here didn’t rate Meek
yet all he needed was a chance.

If we had a genuine rebounder of note outside of Clark, it would open up other possibilities like dropping O’Meara and moving Aish to that sort of everything role. Or having Chapman move up to that position.

Not saying we use our 3 first rounders to trade for someone, but I think it warrants more than a speculative rookie.

I think the other bit is that the chances of getting a genuine quality rebounder either through drafting or trading is also higher likelihood than a quality small forward; if we used all three first round picks and we picked a tall, a (small) forward and a rebounding defender with one of each, then I reckon the tall will have the most potential but the rebounding defender will most likely be the best player.
I’ve watched a few Peel games this year.

DeLean strikes me as that sort of player that if playing for a high scoring AFL side would have 6 touches a game and kick his 1-2 goals. By round 10 he’d have 13 goals and people would say what a pick up.

With Freo he would be miles off getting a game and if he did would have 4 touches and not kick a goal until his 3rd game in his 2nd season at the club.
Yup - the thing people forget is that we don't exactly make it easy for our forwards, because we play such a defensive game that requires the forwards to run up and down the field like midfielders and tackle like crazy. Emmett is playing because he fits the mold of being able to be a chase down forward who puts a lot of pressure on the opposition rebounders, same with Switkowski. Those types are always going to be favored over goal kicking types like Sturt and Delean because the pressure not only generates goals through creating stoppages (whether they explicitly kick them or not) but save them too by stopping the opposition getting easy goals on the rebound.

Delean has the goods no doubt. Knows where the goals are, and most of our blokes don’t
Kids a gun. couldnt beileve freo got him at pick 50. watched him play league SANFL last year didn't look out of place the knock is his pressue but that will come. could be a bargin pick

Think Walls drafting him & Simpson proves he knows we need more skill in front half

Last edited:
I think the other bit is that the chances of getting a genuine quality rebounder either through drafting or trading is also higher likelihood than a quality small forward; if we used all three first round picks and we picked a tall, a (small) forward and a rebounding defender with one of each, then I reckon the tall will have the most potential but the rebounding defender will most likely be the best player.

Yup - the thing people forget is that we don't exactly make it easy for our forwards, because we play such a defensive game that requires the forwards to run up and down the field like midfielders and tackle like crazy. Emmett is playing because he fits the mold of being able to be a chase down forward who puts a lot of pressure on the opposition rebounders, same with Switkowski. Those types are always going to be favored over goal kicking types like Sturt and Delean because the pressure not only generates goals through creating stoppages (whether they explicitly kick them or not) but save them too by stopping the opposition getting easy goals on the rebound.
So we need Balla to come down to training and show them how it is done?
The problem is that you need a little bit of mongrel at that height.
Small man’s syndrome, pace, and skills to hit the scoreboard.
I don’t even know if they still breed that type?

The coaches need to discuss the balance.

Emmet 4 goals from 9 matches
Switkowski 3 goals from 6 matches

At some point ‘elite’ pressure needs to be replaced by goals.

You can’t reward one and not the other. What I mean by that is we’re accepting non goal scorers because they put in effort yet ignoring goal scorers because they lack elite defensive pressure.

Find the balance Freo.

Should just go to the draft, and get more elite talent. High draft picks that can kick well.
That should set the platform for the next coach.
Lyon took us to a GF in his 2nd season, the next coach could do the same. Will have more talent to work with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can’t reward one and not the other. What I mean by that is we’re accepting non goal scorers because they put in effort yet ignoring goal scorers because they lack elite defensive pressure.

Find the balance Freo.
Agree think Sturt Simpson or Delan could play for one of Banfield or Emmet
Sturt is the one but hes always injued or sore

Find the balance Freo.

Sydney’s pressure made us look stupid way more than any fwd craft or ball movement

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Should just go to the draft, and get more elite talent. High draft picks that can kick well.
That should set the platform for the next coach.
Lyon took us to a GF in his 2nd season, the next coach could do the same. Will have more talent to work with
Dean Cox, or Carr maybe next. But both are at clubs with a succession plan.
It’s obvious we need a larger pool of talent off field.
Buckley if he still has the hunger for a flag would be huge in a head of coaching role.
You can see the guys who still crave it, get a second chance.
These blokes were champions, B Scott, Voss, Buckley, and have a point to prove.
That hunger is what’s missing at Freo, when was the last time we saw white line
fever?

Type of player we need?

He’s the type of player we already have.
If we pick up Martin, Walls should be demoted. JOM was a horrible pick-up and we have no decent small forwards on our list which is poor list management. Martin is just a repeat of the JOM situation. Luckily I don't think he is that stupid.

If we pick up Martin, Walls should be demoted. JOM was a horrible pick-up and we have no decent small forwards on our list which is poor list management. Martin is just a repeat of the JOM situation. Luckily I don't think he is that stupid.
Depends on what they have to give up for him

look at someone like collingwood they have brought in so many players other clubs didnt want or thought they were passed it on a cheap & helped them will a flag

I'm not saying Martin is that player but could be. Only have to look at Sharp to see Walls gets alot of call right

I'm not saying Martin is that player but could be. Only have to look at Sharp to see Walls gets alot of call right
Sharp was almost a Docker the year before. Omeara was the one that they got instead. Sharp would’ve cost more then but.
Omeara is just here for the paycheck. He’s a list clogger

Back