• McDonald

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 115 62.5%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 10 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember a few Fremantle supporters were keeping a eye on this kid just heartbreaking for the young lad

So sad, imagine receiving that news at just 18. Bang, dream over. If it means he can have better health opportunities going on with life though. Still...

Been an awful week the past one, for so many people....

My main concern about the forwardline is that even if we do draft some forwards they will take years to develop. That's if they even make it as AFL players or don't request a trade home. Our current issue is the maturity of our forwards so drafting won't magically fix this issue. On the other hand it's not like we have a choice because there aren't any options to trade for.

Well it'd been on my mind as I think it was him that had described our loss on Friday as 'almost 10 goals' and I was thinking like wasn't it exactly 8 goals?
Feel free to use the ignore button if I’m annoying you that much.

My main concern about the forwardline is that even if we do draft some forwards they will take years to develop. That's if they even make it as AFL players or don't request a trade home. Our current issue is the maturity of our forwards so drafting won't magically fix this issue. On the other hand it's not like we have a choice because there aren't any options to trade for.
The go home factor becomes more of a thing in the first round too.
Looking back at the 2020 draft for example, you’d probably grab Ollie Henry at pick 14 instead of Chapman. Would definitely improve our team balance if we swapped those two players, but if we had drafted Henry he would likely be back in Geelong already. And Andrew Mackie would have barely given us a second round pick for him to make it even worse. The comp is really stacked against us at times 🤷‍♂️

IMO you can carry young small forwards if the rest of your team is strong. i.e Kozzie Pickett, Cody Weightman, Bobby Hill, Jaiden Stephenson’s best year was his first

IMO you can carry young small forwards if the rest of your team is strong. i.e Kozzie Pickett, Cody Weightman, Bobby Hill, Jaiden Stephenson’s best year was his first
Potentially, but idk if I'm impressed with the small forward options this year (going off a small sample size).

I'm still not convinced Baker will move the needle all that much. He's a neat and tidy small midfielder. It would be like adding another Aish to the side. For the Saints 2nd and say a 600k salary (which is what a club like Geelong would do), then I'd be happy enough. But we don't operate like Geelong.

What to pay him is awkward. At Richmond he'd be right near the top of their best players going forward, so they can put a big offer in front of him that we'd need to go close to matching. At Freo he'd be a lot further down the pecking order for important players going forward. I'd be wary of the implications of paying Baker the big bucks when it comes to keeping our list together (granted, we have signed up most of our key players for quite a while) or attracting a higher impact target next year (e.g. Warner).
A big part of the salary stuff is accepting that the salary cap hike is gonna make fairly realistic payments look unrealistic. Will Hayward is being offered 800k a year, not so long ago that was Lachie Neale money. Particularly considering we sorted out a fair few contracts before the cap hike started, Baker will probably start out earning an amount of money that, relative to our player list, looks unrealistic (the fact he'd be borderline Serong territory is a bit crazy). But that will equalise over time, and in the grand scheme of things won't look too bad, especially compared to the craziness that Adelaide were prepared to offer to "the next Wayne Carey" Harrison Petty.

Re Baker, I think he can move the needle a fair bit considering the interesting options we're playing in fwd areas right now (also I just think he looks best when his inside midfield time is spot minutes). Agreed that he doesn't come in as a significant volume scorer, and that's what we need to improve most in our small/medium fwds: in that vein I'd like a Zurhaar + Baker combo, assuming Zurhaar can play in a fwd line with 3 talls.

I think at the end of the day with Baker, to a large extent it's "we have the capital to make big moves in areas of weakness now, an opportunity that we may not have in years to come, and we don't have time waiting and wishing for the perfect target to magically materialise so near enough is good enough."

I don't think it will take years to develop the sort of forwards we need, we already have the tall forwards with four plus years in the system by the time the draft comes - we can add the teenagers with speed and skill into that mix to be around their feet.

We absolutely will get hurt more with the ball coming out, but if Treacy, Jackson and Amiss are marking the ball more then it really doesn't matter. It's how experienced teams hide young players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost by 2 scoring shots & that’s only because the Swans kicked the last 4 points.

If you want to get technical, we kicked at least 5 out of bounds on the full too when I assume Swans did not do any. They could not miss.
I still have no idea how McDonald got enough force on the footy for that goal. Felt like there was a magnet for the ball in the goal umpires hat or something

Yes, I think the all round reporting is accurate.
  • He's leaving Richmond
  • He would have preferred WC
  • WC would do it but not paying any kind of reasonable price
  • He will therefore join Freo

I think Freo are reasonably confident he'll be in purple next year. Ralph is correct his first choice was WC, every one is correct he'll be at Freo.

Despite what we all hope, WC arent stupid, and getting Baker is stupid unless as a FA
Why don't WC talk Baker into walking into the PSD or offer a third rounder plus Darling/Gaff or anybody else they can offload with only a tiny bit of value to confuse the terrible deal? I would have thought with no contract they could get him for a bargain if he genuinely wanted to go there.

Does Baker want to make sure Richmond get something for him or does he also see what we are building and would rather win five flags in his career?

I’m confident enough to put my perfect record on the line (ignore my sig) and say Baker will be at Freo next year so peeps should get used to that idea. Also, ignore whatever crap Ralph comes up with, even the Clark stuff in his latest story is complete rubbish
Jackson confident or Gus confident?

Why don't WC talk Baker into walking into the PSD or offer a third rounder plus Darling/Gaff or anybody else they can offload with only a tiny bit of value to confuse the terrible deal? I would have thought with no contract they could get him for a bargain if he genuinely wanted to go there.

Does Baker want to make sure Richmond get something for him or does he also see what we are building and would rather win five flags in his career?
Because despite the Ralph narrative, WC don’t really want him, Baker isn’t the type to **** over his club and Richmond aren’t dumb enough to take Gagf without getting paid for it

Jackson confident or Gus confident?
Jackson by September confident. Short of Daniels or someone going on record saying Baker did a massive backflip, I'd give up ever trying to give accurate goss on here if he's not in purple next year

Jackson by September confident. Short of Daniels or someone going on record saying Baker did a massive backflip, I'd give up ever trying to give accurate goss on here if he's not in purple next year
Im on the fence about the Baker trade. I want him but wouldn't be to disappointed if he stayed.

Would be great if we could start being linked to others instead of just Baker and Mcdonald

I don't think it will take years to develop the sort of forwards we need, we already have the tall forwards with four plus years in the system by the time the draft comes - we can add the teenagers with speed and skill into that mix to be around their feet.

We absolutely will get hurt more with the ball coming out, but if Treacy, Jackson and Amiss are marking the ball more then it really doesn't matter. It's how experienced teams hide young players.
For our sake I hope you are right Tay.

And what about the Clark thing? Because I remember talk on here the year of or the year before he got traded to us that his preference was west coast, and isn’t that what Ralph said? Or did you get some new intel that that rumour is incorrect

And what about the Clark thing? Because I remember talk on here the year of or the year before he got traded to us that his preference was west coast, and isn’t that what Ralph said? Or did you get some new intel that that rumour is incorrect
I dont remember that talk, I always thought Clark would only play for Freo, someone else said similar so I suppose not new intel

Because despite the Ralph narrative, WC don’t really want him, Baker isn’t the type to heck over his club and Richmond aren’t dumb enough to take Gagf without getting paid for it
I don't doubt your Intel at all but my understanding is WC would love him if they can somehow satisfy Richmond without giving away high picks, maybe through player trading.

Back