List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

As a FWD or DEF .....I agree, re getting Petty as a FWD .....but absolutely need Petty as a DEF ...that's his natural position
Murray/Keane/Worrell

That’s your three defensive talls for the next five years. I’d be spending the money elsewhere at this stage

Murray/Keane/Worrell

That’s your three defensive talls for the next five years. I’d be spending the money elsewhere at this stage
Worrell still has a long way to go .....on the weekend we badly missed having the 3rd man up to spoil McKay .....Butts was getting irate, he did his job trying to anchor McKay .....this was Worrell's job, and he isn't doing it

Worrell has shown an ability to play FWD in juniors .....let's not lock our thinking of him as purely a defender

Worrell still has a long way to go .....on the weekend we badly missed having the 3rd man up to spoil McKay .....Butts was getting irate, he did his job trying to anchor McKay .....this was Worrell's job, and he isn't doing it

Worrell has shown an ability to play FWD in juniors .....let's not lock our thinking of him as purely a defender
So Petty, Keane and Murray? Thats 3 talls.

What are you giving up for Petty?

Fair enough (don’t agree fully, but I see the vision as his intercept numbers seem to be currently down on previously, I think they’ll improve), but that leaves the 3rd tall slot vacant

It’s Murray and Keane that will be holding down FB and CHB, respectively

As a FWD or DEF .....I agree, re getting Petty as a FWD .....but absolutely need Petty as a DEF ...that's his natural position

Hard to see us chasing Caleb .....not a need

IN theory - If we get Petty at a reasonable price AND if he was open to playing as a defender it could possibly work as Keane would be very good as a third tall when Murray gets fit.

Although I'm still sceptical on Petty, still don't think he's a big need for us.

Lukosius to play forward and Cumming to wing/HBF would be who I would be targeting using future picks and using our first this year to get that gun Mid we need.

IN theory - If we get Petty at a reasonable price AND if he was open to playing as a defender it could possibly work as Keane would be very good as a third tall when Murray gets fit.

Although I'm still sceptical on Petty, still don't think he's a big need for us.

Lukosius to play forward and Cumming to wing/HBF would be who I would be targeting using future picks and using our first this year to get that gun Mid we need.
I’m not so sure Keane as 3rd tall would work, I don’t think he has quite as much leg speed as even Worrell

A future you will hate that you made this statement .....trust me

I said it in his draft year .....a KPF that cannot take a contested mark is equal to Schache .....the reason Schache can't get a game, is the reason GC are happy to off-load Lukosious .....birds of a feather

Would Melbourne take that given their compensation wouldn’t be far off that.

And we don’t need 3 tall defenders.
Injuries have shown we are deficient in tall defenders, and none have shown to be elite .....Petty has that potential

Injuries have shown we are deficient in tall defenders, and none have shown to be elite .....Petty has that potential
So all of Petty, Murray and Keane are fit, which one you leaving out?

We are deficient in a number of areas and you want to use more draft capital on a defender when the other 2 guys we grabbed dirt cheap.

And where is this pick 12-17 coming from? And why would Melbourne take that?

A future you will hate that you made this statement .....trust me

I said it in his draft year .....a KPF that cannot take a contested mark is equal to Schache .....the reason Schache can't get a game, is the reason GC are happy to off-load Lukosious .....birds of a feather

Lukosius has ben moved Back by Hardwick as they have a stacked forward line (King, Walter etc) thanks to their Academy picks.

Also didn't necessarily say he has to play as a pure KPF, even as a third tall Luko would be seriously handy.

With Himmelburg delist material, Fogarty still being a tease, Gollant iffy, Tex 34, Burgess pure stop gap, TT injury prone and Welsh going to take a few years to develop; Where else are we going to get a ready made forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So with the Mid Season Draft coming up, what are we all thinking regarding our current list spots and possible draft targets?
I think it's time to call time on Sloaneys career for his health and Milera is LTI.
As I see it we should be looking to take 2 selections.
Maybe upgrade Toby Murray, but who else is available?
I think Murray will be picked by us if he’s still there at our pick and hopefully a genuine small forward who can apply some defensive pressure but also be an offensive threat as well.

No more small midfielders who they play as a forward.

Otherwise I’d love to see Kobe Ryan get a chance, but not sure where we’d play him in our side.

So all of Petty, Murray and Keane are fit, which one you leaving out?

We are deficient in a number of areas and you want to use more draft capital on a defender when the other 2 guys we grabbed dirt cheap.

And where is this pick 12-17 coming from? And why would Melbourne take that?
Not to mention we used yet another top ten pick on a tall defender last year.

Fair enough (don’t agree fully, but I see the vision as his intercept numbers seem to be currently down on previously, I think they’ll improve), but that leaves the 3rd tall slot vacant

It’s Murray and Keane that will be holding down FB and CHB, respectively
I feel like they’ve given Keane a bit more license to create and attack and this has meant Worrell has had to be a bit more defensive minded to compensate.

I’m not totally sure you have the currency to pull that off
The currency:
Money Bills GIF by Monopoly

If it was me I'd use Luko as a wingman. Why couldn't he play there? Tank/endurance must be the main question or only question.
Tall, can take a grab, fast enough, skilled with ball in hand, feels to me like he'd be a taller Seedsman replacement.

Nank on one wing and Luko on the other sounds delicious to me.

Other question would be how good at the contest situation he is.

If it was me I'd use Luko as a wingman. Why couldn't he play there? Tank/endurance must be the main question or only question.
Tall, can take a grab, fast enough, skilled with ball in hand, feels to me like he'd be a taller Seedsman replacement.

Nank on one wing and Luko on the other sounds delicious to me.

Other question would be how good at the contest situation he is.
Absolutely - I like that as Luko has all the tools to be a very good connector in the Tom Lynch role we had. Also, his kicking skills would be a great weapon heading inside forward 50.

BUT, we can't afford to use this years 1st if it looks like a top 5-8 pick as its a midfield heavy draft and we need one of them if we have not already got one via trade. If GC would take our F1 for him as part of a salary dump type scenario, then where do we sign

Our list really looks like a mess.
I think we just need to keep going to the draft for the next 3 years, we have that many holes everywhere.
We are starting to look like Port with trading in all these missing pieces and not fixing the most obvious issue with our midfield.
But do you trust Hamish to pick the right player's?

If we're going after Petty I'd rather wait another year and have a go at him as a FA. We're likely to miss finals again and need to spend our first on a midfielder. And I suppose there's the off chance that Melbourne might fall off the perch next year and would be happy with the compensation pick then. Other issue is I'm not sure where Tyler Welsh is at, I assume he's going to be nominating us as F/S, but not what range he's likely to go in the draft? If it looks like a bid for Welsh is likely to come before our first then we'd probably look to offload it (unless we can trade up ahead of Welsh). In which case we either look to split it or just trade it for a ready-made mid or Petty if we're into him anyway.

A player with the versatility to play tall forward or back would be handy. Walker likely to retire either this year or next year. Not sure if Welsh will arrive ready to go or need more time (or even turn out to be up to the level). Forward line of Thilthorpe and Fog leaves at least the current Burgess / Gollant spot up for grabs. And our KPD stocks are thin - Murray, Keane, Worrell is the best case scenario, but it's pretty thin after that with Butts and not much else... Burgess? Petty would at least be an upgrade on Burgess if we're after a dual key position type player.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back