Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
I know he's got good highlights because I watched his highlights.
Canadian Agree GIF by CBC

Yeah they look incredible. From the footage he brings everything we are missing in the front half:

Fearless running forward
Big take take down tackles
Crumbing goals

The way he moves and kicks the ball made me think a little bit of how Winnie would glide across the ground.

It seems he would have immediate impact. From those who have actually seen him play, is that the case?
Big call bro.

Winnie glided across the ground smoother than Marty McFly's Hoverboard...

Big call bro.

Winnie glided across the ground smoother than Marty McFly's Hoverboard...
Wait. Winnie is in my top 3 players of all time. All I saw was the gliding through packs at top speed and take take-down tackles like a leopard.

What I didn’t see on the vision was:

• regular drop punt goals from 65+
  • crumbing goals involving snaps from the boundary 45 out sailing through goal post height
  • regular mark of the year contenders (including possible the best mark of all time IMO)
  • regular 50m run down chases through the middle at top flight
  • raking 35 metre handballs into the running man to release play.

Make no mistake: Winston will remain a player that achieved marvels and feats which will NEVER be challenged. It sucks to think we only had a few years of his awesomeness.

Wait. Winnie is in my top 3 players of all time. All I saw was the gliding through packs at top speed and take take-down tackles like a leopard.

• crumbing goals involving snaps from the boundary 45 out sailing through goal post height
  • regular mark of the year contenders (including possible the best mark of all time IMO)

Make no mistake: Winston will remain a player that achieved marvels and feats which will NEVER be challenged. It sucks to think we only had a few years of his awesomeness.
Winnie could also confidently kick off either foot, this somehow seems kind of old-fashioned now with all the current day players in our team that are horribly one-sided.

Winnie could also confidently kick off either foot, this somehow seems kind of old-fashioned now with all the current day players in our team that are horribly one-sided.
He could dance in phone booth better than Bolton.

Hit pretty much any target within 50 metres.

And was always a good chance of goal anywhere within 55 metres. On the run, there was no stopping him.

If you talk about cruel injuries wrecking a career, it’s up there with JWS. The guy was a marvel.

At least in those days we didn't get many years out of talents like Abraham or Welsh - but we got premierships out of them.

Andrew Phillips...

SURPRISE NAMES IN MID-SEASON MIX​

FORMER Essendon, Greater Western Sydney and Carlton ruckman Andrew Phillips and ex-Tigers midfielder Riley Collier-Dawkins have emerged as surprise contenders for the mid-season rookie draft later this month.

However, Phillips would need AFL approval for an exemption if he was to become eligible after retiring from Essendon last year.

The 32-year-old retired at the end of last season after a career-best year with the Bombers, where he played 20 games under Brad Scott in 2023, finishing on 82 appearances across 13 seasons at the highest level.

Essendon is understood to have tried to convince the Tasmanian to play on in 2024 before turning its attention to veteran Todd Goldstein in October. But after more than a decade away from home, Phillips wanted to move back to Hobart with his young family.

But with ready-made ruckmen few and far between, clubs have enquired about Phillips' eligibility in recent days. Phillips is currently playing for Lauderdale in the Tasmanian State League and has been the most dominant ruckman in the competition, sitting fifth in the TSL player of the year leaderboard after five games.

Collingwood might need a back-up ruckman as insurance in the second half of the season, following potentially season-ending injuries to back-up pair Aiden Begg and Oscar Steene. North Melbourne, Adelaide and Melbourne are other clubs that could look for ruck coverage later this month as a safety measure.

Phillips is understood to be open to returning to the AFL if an opportunity materialises. However the former Bomber, Giant and Blue isn't eligible right now, given he retired and wasn't delisted last year, plus TSL games don't count as state league comparable games, meaning he would require an exemption, which the AFL has granted in the past.

Collier-Dawkins was delisted by the Tigers after 11 games across four years back in 2022 and then struggled last season when he shifted into the SANFL at Woodville West-Torrens.

However, the 24-year-old moved to Williamstown this year and has put his name back on the radar of AFL clubs having averaged 24.1 disposals, 6.3 clearances and five tackles per game at the Seagulls.

Clubs believe a solid group of mature-aged players have started to separate themselves heading into the May 29 draft, with Essendon VFL player Oskar Smartt among those under consideration.

Smartt, a powerful 180cm half-forward who won't turn 19 until later this year, kicked four goals against Footscray earlier this season and is considered alongside Collingwood VFL forward Jack Hutchinson as a likely top choice.

Illiro Smit is also attracting interest after the teenager kicked the winning goal for Eastern Ranges over the weekend. The 200cm prospect is part of Hawthorn's Next Generation Academy system, though the Hawks can only match a bid on him if he slips through until November's national draft.

Geelong VFL ruck Ajang Kuol Mun is another to have been watched closely by recruiters in recent weeks, while lockdown defender Maxwell Benier has intrigued clubs since joining St Kilda's VFL affiliate side at Sandringham.

St Kilda is considering VAFA player Benier and along with Essendon, the Saints are understood to have enquired about him, while Port Adelaide has also taken a look. Benier joined several Zebras players to train with Ross Lyon's AFL squad last Thursday morning. – Riley Beveridge, Josh Gabelich
1715763468595.png

Last edited:
You really sure about that last part?

Why walk Goldie only to pick up this bloke?

Posted in the wrong thread so better to quote you here.

We may just need someone for 3 months to fill the void left by CCJ. List spots may become an issue come the end of the year.

Posted in the wrong thread so better to quote you here.

We may just need someone for 3 months to fill the void left by CCJ. List spots may become an issue come the end of the year.
If that’s the case I hope we go Phillips for second pick and for first go with someone with longer term potential like we did K Dawson

Jacob blight is ready to play now that’s the reason for picking him to shore up the defence

Has shown he can lock down big kpf and intercept mark

Not some young 18 year old
right,,,,I thought that was the same logic with Toby Pink being a premiership state league defender with previous AFL experience who just wasn't ready at the time.

LIONS MOVE RULED OUT

BRISBANE'S hopes to pick assistant coach Daniel Lloyd in the upcoming mid-season rookie draft have been dashed after the AFL knocked back an exemption application.

The Lions had interest in selecting Lloyd as a mid-season rookie after their spate of season-ending knee injuries.

However, under AFL rules, players who left the competition as 'retired' within a year are not eligible for the mid-season draft unless they have played at least three state league games in the current season.

Lloyd was unable to hit the three-game state league mark before the May 29 mid-season intake and the club's hopes for an exemption have been ruled out.

The 32-year-old joined Brisbane as a development coach at the end of last year after playing 101 games with the Giants after being a mature-age pick up.

The forward could have been a readymade replacement in the Lions' forward line after their run of injuries. - Callum Twomey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back