Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
I've heard he's not in the conversation for us, of course things can shift in the final games.

Of course he's not. Why would he be? Late, blooming 18 year old key forward... nah, we don't need one of those.

He's probably not in the conversation because Brady hasn't even heard of him yet.

I don't think Howes will be an immediate remedy to our issues. He still has plenty of development to go before he'll be ready for AFL footy. He is only 18 and is coming off two injury interrupted years.

I'm keen as to take him with pick 1, but I don't want posters to have unrealistic expectations of what he'll bring to the table.

Exactly. He would be just another piece of the full puzzle. If he becomes a consistent part of the best 25 or 26 players at the club then that is a great outcome.

As an 18-year-old key position prospect he should be viewed in a similar way to Will Dawson.

Exactly. He would be just another piece of the full puzzle. If he becomes a consistent part of the best 25 or 26 players at the club then that is a great outcome.

As an 18-year-old key position prospect he should be viewed in a similar way to Will Dawson.
We just took a 20y/o Sellars.

He’d want to be better than him.

Of course he's not. Why would he be? Late, blooming 18 year old key forward... nah, we don't need one of those.

He's probably not in the conversation because Brady hasn't even heard of him yet.

Rightly or wrongly I remember similar disappointment we let Jackson Callow go past us twice. A lesser degree Jack Buller last year. Jacob Edwards epitomised late blooming 18yo.

It may well be a different story in a fortnight but I'd anticipate ruck coverage hopefully using a second pick. With the pick of the field surely it's somebody standing out that fits just as much of a need.

Rightly or wrongly I remember similar disappointment we let Jackson Callow go past us twice. A lesser degree Jack Buller last year. Jacob Edwards epitomised late blooming 18yo.

It may well be a different story in a fortnight but I'd anticipate ruck coverage hopefully using a second pick. With the pick of the field surely it's somebody standing out that fits just as much of a need.

Ruck coverage would be a wise move for sure. Wouldn't be against that.

We just took a 20y/o Sellars.

He’d want to be better than him.

Sellers was 21 when we added him to the list.

Howes is 3cm taller and 3 years younger. I think those things are material differences.

I wouldn't write off Sellers. It is possible he can provide decent KPF depth for the next few years. I'd be surprised if he became a 100-game player though.

Ruck coverage would be a wise move for sure. Wouldn't be against that.

Hopefully we get somebody happy to play the CCJ role for the back end of the season, keep X rested and Larkey forward. I think there'll be some better long term options available looking for opportunity this off season with Goad not ready and Free all but finished. CCJ is the great 2025 mystery.

Sellers was runner up in the VFL BnF last year and kicked 30+ goals.

To expect an 18 year old Howes to come in and have more of an impact than Sellers is unrealistic.
I’m speaking more regarding their ceiling.

We’re in this mess due to selecting a whole host of similar players with no elite attributes and neglecting other areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully we get somebody happy to play the CCJ role for the back end of the season, keep X rested and Larkey forward. I think there'll be some better long term options available looking for opportunity this off season with Goad not ready and Free all but finished. CCJ is the great 2025 mystery.
Could put a plank of wood down there. Just as effective.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wonderful.

Congratulations Richmond and Hawthorn, enjoy the 196cm key forward discard.
If Rawlings misses again on yet another MSD selection, does it just prove that the knowledge of our drafting “department” will be trumped by the collective hearsay of a bunch of part-time (and for some not-so-part-time) internet nerds?

Last edited:
So it’s Daniel Howe and Kane Turner type coming in.

Howes looks just what we need - we are severely lacking up forward and we will bring in some guy that every other club had about 10 th on their list

If Rawlings misses again on yet another MSD selection, does it just prove that the knowledge of our drafting “department” will be trumped by the collective hearsay of a bunch of part-time (and for some not-so-part-time) internet nerds?

Does “missing” mean not picking the nerds’ pre-draft favourite? Or not picking someone who turns out to be a handy player? Because they are not the same thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back