Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:

I'd like us to go with Payne and Hutchison.

Just so everyone experiences the same collective feeling realising we didn't really address any list gaps.
angry kyle broflovski GIF by South Park

Who do we take then?

With any of the younger KP's like Howes or Scaife, you'd be getting them through the door early in order to give them access to AFL level coaching and development. Neither of them will be short term solutions to our issues.
Scaife has been in and around Freo's system for some time, though. I found a tweet yesterday from 2022 where Ryan Daniels said he was buying stocks in two Freo NGA players after seeing them train with their AFL squad: Jasper Scaife and Josh Draper.

Fast forward to now and Draper has played the last nine games for Freo, whereas they passed on Scaife in the draft, rookie draft and as a cat B. And they don't look too fussed about picking him up in the MSD either. That's the club that has seen him more than anyone. And other than the first two games of the season, he's done very little. It's not screaming "pick me!"

As for who, it depends on what you want. Plenty want someone to slot in immediately, others want a free hit with almost no downside - if you don't make it in six months, then see you later - and others want to bring in someone to develop for the long-term. Everyone's kinda talking past each other in this thread.

All that said, I'd probably take someone with recent AFL experience, as it adds immediately to depth, and puts pressure on those in the 22, hopefully improving performance all around. The caveat is that they have to be born this century, so they match the age profile of the list.

Geordie Payne can't do much more to put himself in contention for the upcoming mid season draft. His hot form to start the new Talent League season was franked on the weekend by an outstanding display against an Eastern Ranges team boasting some of this years elite midfield talent.

Geordie Payne can't do much more to put himself in contention for the upcoming mid season draft. His hot form to start the new Talent League season was franked on the weekend by an outstanding display against an Eastern Ranges team boasting some of this years elite midfield talent.

Hey mate, can I ask if there was no Mid Season draft where would he be ranked at the moment in the early considerations for the end of year draft. Top 10/20 etc

After watching these highlights, I think we should go Payne. It feels like a repeat of Jacob Edwards, Jai Newcombe. Let’s just pick the best player. 2nd pick we can go for a speculative tall forward in whoever is left over out of Scaife Howes and Eliott.
And yes I know there is more to recruitment than watching highlight videos on YouTube.

Hey mate, can I ask if there was know Mid Season draft where would he be ranked at the moment in the early considerations for the end of year draft. Top 10/20 etc
Definitely a draftable player. You're not going to get the perfect guy in the MSD and Geordie isnt perfect. I like him more as a forward than a mid. In the middle, he receives the ball at stoppage flat footed too often and resorts to low value dump kicks forward, and I'd want him to show more instinct to release teammates with quick hands.

As a forward, you love how strong he is overhead for his size, his willingness to compete and jump into contests recklessly. He leads into space well, and he's dangerous when the footy hits the deck.

I'd have him behind Kako and Berry as smaller forward prospects. Outside of the first round for sure, but more than that is difficult to say.

The other thing to note is his November birthday. He's less than 3 months older than Jagga Smith for instance. So still a ton of potential growth in his game and perhaps even physical growth to come.

Allow the club to pick the BEST AVAILABLE player not on an AFL list.

No sugar hits, not temporary fill measures. Who cares if the are a hulking 196cm key back or key forward, or a 184 wingman, or a 187cm intercept defender, or a half-forward flank....Pick the BEST. Good players will find positions within the team. And our team should be a pretty easy crack.

Keep building the list...... Focus on needs in the national.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely a draftable player. You're not going to get the perfect guy in the MSD and Geordie isnt perfect. I like him more as a forward than a mid. In the middle, he receives the ball at stoppage flat footed too often and resorts to low value dump kicks forward, and I'd want him to show more instinct to release teammates with quick hands.

As a forward, you love how strong he is overhead for his size, his willingness to compete and jump into contests recklessly. He leads into space well, and he's dangerous when the footy hits the deck.

I'd have him behind Kako and Berry as smaller forward prospects. Outside of the first round for sure, but more than that is difficult to say.

The other thing to note is his November birthday. He's less than 3 months older than Jagga Smith for instance. So still a ton of potential growth in his game and perhaps even physical growth to come.
Thank you for taking the time to reply so comprehensively.

Sounds like Taylor is getting the chop

Allow the club to pick the BEST AVAILABLE player not on an AFL list.

No sugar hits, not temporary fill measures. Who cares if the are a hulking 196cm key back or key forward, or a 184 wingman, or a 187cm intercept defender, or a half-forward flank....Pick the BEST. Good players will find positions within the team. And our team should be a pretty easy crack.

Keep building the list...... Focus on needs in the national.
We did that, and now we're stuck with 8 mids and no key forwards.

Electric pace and a natural hunger to chase and tackle? Anywhere on the ground, not just fwd....

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm still most keen on Noah Howes, he's a month away from being a top KPF prospect in this years draft. I really like Noah's work around the ground as well. Picking Payne would be stupid, it's likely one of Szekely or D'Intinosante will be at our second pick who can fill that role. I wouldn't mind Scaife but I have a feeling state league is his level

In the last week and a half the media have had us using pick 1 on

Blight
Scaife
Payne
I'll give you a clue, they have no idea. Watch this space next week, the media will scramble out the following, "North keen on Howes and firming for the number 1 selection," or "Howes hopping to be a Kangaroo", that will be 4 players and they might wheel out one more!

Scaife has been in and around Freo's system for some time, though. I found a tweet yesterday from 2022 where Ryan Daniels said he was buying stocks in two Freo NGA players after seeing them train with their AFL squad: Jasper Scaife and Josh Draper.

Fast forward to now and Draper has played the last nine games for Freo, whereas they passed on Scaife in the draft, rookie draft and as a cat B. And they don't look too fussed about picking him up in the MSD either. That's the club that has seen him more than anyone. And other than the first two games of the season, he's done very little. It's not screaming "pick me!"

As for who, it depends on what you want. Plenty want someone to slot in immediately, others want a free hit with almost no downside - if you don't make it in six months, then see you later - and others want to bring in someone to develop for the long-term. Everyone's kinda talking past each other in this thread.

All that said, I'd probably take someone with recent AFL experience, as it adds immediately to depth, and puts pressure on those in the 22, hopefully improving performance all around. The caveat is that they have to be born this century, so they match the age profile of the list.

That's fair. I think back in 2022 Freo only had two list spots available for a cat B rookies. They ended up taking Draper and Conrad Williams over Scaife. At that stage though Scaife was a bit of stringbean, which is why he has been so dedicated to putting on size over the last 18 months.

In saying that though, there have been a few players overlooked by a clubs NGA, then end up playing decent footy elsewhere. Rhyan Mansell is an example of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back