Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
Ok. At least I know how it turns out now. Did we take Payne?
It seems like it's a decent chance we take Payne. The media normally know who will be taken, I'm not so keen as I've heard his kicking is iffy. Plus there will most likely be a small forward option at our second pick, I really like Frank Szekely from North Adelaide and Josh D'Intinosante from Coburg. There is also always a risk picking up a player from the talent league, as their competition is younger than them and not matured.

Power no certainty to be players in mid-season draft, Crows eye defenders​

The Power are set to move injured star Sam Powell-Pepper to their inactive list, so what does this mean for their mid-season draft plans? Meanwhile, the Crows look to fill a glaring need.

Simeon Thomas-Wilson

less than 2 min read
May 23, 2024 - 4:28PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Port Adelaide will move injured leadership group member Sam Powell-Pepper to the inactive list, but the Power is no certainty to be involved in next week’s mid-season draft.

While Adelaide has three list spots it could fill, but the Crows are expected to make two selections at the most next week.

It is understood Adelaide has monitored former Gold Coast Sun Jez McLennan, who has been impressive for Central District in the SANFL.

The defender also created history as the first player to win the prestigious Fos Williams Medal as SA’s best performer in state games twice in the same season.

Toby Murray, brother of Crows defender Nick, has been training at West Lakes this year and playing in Adelaide’s SANFL side. Standing at 200cm, Murray is a ruck but started forward in the SANFL before being switched to defence prior to an injury.

Powell-Pepper is out for the rest of the season after he suffered an ACL injury against St Kilda last month.

The Power will move him to its inactive list to give itself the ability to enter next week’s mid-season draft if there is a player it likes that is still available.

It is understood there are a couple of players in the pool that could make the Power enter the draft.
Nominations closed on Wednesday evening.

Among those who have nominated was Magpies player Logan Evans.

Originally from Norwood, the defender is with Port through the SANFL rookie program and has impressed for the Magpies, especially in his last game before getting injured with 26 disposals, five marks, six tackles and nine rebound 50s.

This led to Port great Tim Ginever to say recently on the FIVEaa sport show how much Evans had impressed him for the Magpies.

The 19-year-old has also nominated for a longer term 18-month contract as opposed to a short term six-month one.

You are a shining light in a sea of darkness
sad black and white GIF

Ah man, I’ll be really happy if I’m wrong but I just can’t get excited at the Geordie Payne pick. He has some wheels, and the defensive intensity that we lack, but his disposal and decision making isn’t all that good at NAB level, which suggests it’ll be even worse at AFL/VFL level.

I don’t really see a need for a half forward who isn’t a traditional crumbing player or isn’t a good distributor inside forward 50.

Maybe they see him as a speedy lock down back pocket?

I don’t know, but I’d much prefer us go after mature talent who can contribute straight away or go after a tall with some potential upside (Howes/Scaife)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah man, I’ll be really happy if I’m wrong but I just can’t get excited at the Geordie Payne pick. He has some wheels, and the defensive intensity that we lack, but his disposal and decision making isn’t all that good at NAB level, which suggests it’ll be even worse at AFL/VFL level.

I don’t really see a need for a half forward who isn’t a traditional crumbing player or isn’t a good distributor inside forward 50.

I don’t know, but I’d much prefer us go after mature talent who can contribute straight away or go after a tall with some potential upside (Howes/Scaife)
Anyone have numbers on his actual DE%? Souup ?

Interesting comments.
But Chad Warner wasn’t even rated in his draft (pick 39). I think one of the expert opinions on him was he lacked explosiveness????
Now look at him!
Point being, too much analysis done on young talent which can end up way off the mark!

Interesting comments.
But Chad Warner wasn’t even rated in his draft (pick 39). I think one of the expert opinions on him was he lacked explosiveness????
Now look at him!
Point being, too much analysis done on young talent which can end up way off the mark!
Not true.

Screenshot_20240524-103107_Chrome.jpg

Interesting comments.
Now look at him!
If you're going to post unqualified shit about the pressure to move us to the Gold Coast or any other topic like this, at least declare it as opinion.

We’ve had no success with mid season picks, so I don’t expect any walk in players to slot right in. So if a young tassie kid who can potentially be an aggressive midfielder/forward or hb and has been said to have talent, I say go for it.

Interesting comments.
Now look at him!

The majority of analysis done on young talent is totally necessary in order to make the most of the picks at your disposal. Constantly torching picks because you didn’t correctly assess how a kids speed or disposal would stand up at AFL level leads you to having a list void of depth (much like ours does now).

Genuine gun players like Warner or Lachie Neale who are taken later on in the draft are exceptions, not the rule.

The majority of analysis done on young talent is totally necessary in order to make the most of the picks at your disposal. Constantly torching picks because you didn’t correctly assess how a kids speed or disposal would stand up at AFL level leads you to having a list void of depth (much like ours does now).

Genuine gun players like Warner or Lachie Neale who are taken later on in the draft are exceptions, not the rule.
Speaking of Chad Warner and exceptions to the rule, here's Sydney's 2019 draft haul.

Sydney 2019.JPG

They must have been drunk that year because they smashed it out of the park the year either side of that.

Speaking of Chad Warner and exceptions to the rule, here's Sydney's 2019 draft haul.

View attachment 1998737

They must have been drunk that year because they smashed it out of the park the year either side of that.
Academy gifts can cover a multitude of sins.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back